(shouting)

Multiple Midway Point Manual / Request Thread

A vanilla VIP-like smw collab!
worldpeace125

Multiple Midway Point Manual / Request Thread

Post by worldpeace125 »

1. Inserting extra midway points

In lunar magic, press ctrl+insert (in layer 1 editing mode) to open the following window.

To insert an additional midway point bar, put 98~A7 in Size/Type/Ext.
Then you will get an object of 1*2 random tiles, but it's actually a bar in game.

You have one vanilla midway point and 16 extra midway points. (17 in total) You should follow the order.
vanilla midway point: 1st MP
extended object 98: 2nd MP
extended object 99: 3rd MP
extended object 9A: 4th MP
extended object 9B: 5th MP
extended object 9C: 6th MP
extended object 9D: 7th MP
extended object 9E: 8th MP
extended object 9F: 9th MP
extended object A0: 10th MP
extended object A1: 11th MP
extended object A2: 12th MP
extended object A3: 13th MP
extended object A4: 14th MP
extended object A5: 15th MP
extended object A6: 16th MP
extended object A7: 17th MP

Once you get a midway point bar in the game, it and its previous bars don't reappear.

2. Setting midway positions

You can use either secondary entrances or midway entrances of a (sub)level for position where mario respawns. (thanks to Kaijyuu's patch)

In LM 2.20+, midway entrance doesn't need to be in screen 0~F, or its x/y position in screen doesn't have to be same with main entrance's position. Our multi-midway point system is compatible with the feature(!), so feel free to use it.

To set which secondary/midway entrance is used for each bar, first open MidwayData.asm in PATCH folder. For each level, there's a list containing sublevel number or secondary exit number that will be used for midway position.
The format is like this: dw $aaaa,$bbbb,$cccc,$dddd,....
where $aaaa is for the 1st MP(its default value is same as the level number. To have everything in your level unchanged, leave it as it is.) and $bbbb = 2nd MP, $cccc = 3rd MP, and so on.

If you want (sub)level xxx's midway entrance position, put $0xxx. If you want secondary entrance yyy's position, put $1yyy.

Example:

.level023
dw $1035,$0071

level 23 has two midway points. The first one uses the secondary entrance #35, and the next one uses midway entrance of sublevel 71.

To save the modification, place the base ROM in PATCH folder then run @insert_all.bat.

3. Important note

"No-yoshi intro" setting and time limit follows the (sub)level where the midway point is. (not the main level!)
In the above example, if you respawn from the second midway of level 23, no-yoshi intro and time limit is decided by the setting of sublevel 71.

Have fun with the multiple midway points!

-----
If you don't want to read the long text of bad engrish, you can request midway points here. Then I will insert them into your levels (you have to fill the info below)
Last edited by worldpeace125 9 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Multiple Midway Point Manual / Request Thread

Post by Leet »

The fact that nobody's posted here yet, combined with what I've heard about the difficulty, is kind of worrying.

Lots of midpoints is what a good very-hard game needs to avoid being frustrating and taxing.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I was told that some people wanted to use multiple midway points in their levels if possible. So I guess either these level makers have not read this, or they already did/will follow the manual and insert them.

Despite these promises, I agree that more levels could have multiple midpoints in a good way.
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

I know it's odd to ask for "something", but if someone wants to code a random ASM for my Final Castle Sublevel (can be anything, even something as simple as layer 2 jumping like thwimps), then feel free to. I'd like to challenge myself with something random to work with. 8-)

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Daizo wrote:a random ASM for my Final Castle Sublevel
I might be able to code one of ideas that I have for the final castle but never implemented due to laziness. I will give it a try after finishing other stuffs.
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

worldpeace125 wrote:
Daizo wrote:a random ASM for my Final Castle Sublevel
I might be able to code one of ideas that I have for the final castle but never implemented due to laziness. I will give it a try after finishing other stuffs.
Oh hey, thanks worldpeace. Don't worry, I have other things as well, so no need to rush at all.

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.