A vanilla VIP-like smw collab!
worldpeace125

Re: Multiperson Levels Thread

Post by worldpeace125 »

Oh hey, thanks
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I made another quick level. Hopefully it can be used somewhere - it currently uses level AD. It's in the first door in the yoshi house.
dont wanna jihad no more
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I loved the gimmick somehow reminding me of

frogger

It's intense and pretty fair at the same time, and the level design executes the gimmick very nicely. Well done!
The level would be good for Bowser's castle because it's not that long, and for real final too because it's challenging. It might be one of the hardest in the Bowser's castle, but still easier than B9 in my personal opinion.
I spent some first lives getting used to the layer 2 physics. Total 8 deaths, and of course I recorded playing hard level like this without exception.
AD.zip
(97.01 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
Unless slowdown is intended to give players reaction time, may I improve it? I made a code for BA to disable water physics calculation when it's unnecessary.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Oh right, I forgot to look at fixing the slowdown so please go ahead if it's a simple matter.
dont wanna jihad no more
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Here it is. It would be easily seen that performance becomes pretty better especially in snes9x.
I enabled the first buoyancy option "Enable sprite buoyancy, but reduces the number of sprites ~~" due to the way I implemented the patch(the number of checked options indicates the level of pruning calculation of sprite physics). It doesn't seem to affect this sublevel.

Please check this.
AD_fast.7z
(958.28 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
Last edited by worldpeace125 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Yes, it seems to playing smoothly now, thank you. After watching the movie, I made a couple of jumps a bit more lenient and lightened the background colour to make the nets visible.
Last edited by morsel/morceau 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
dont wanna jihad no more
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Woops, this is the right file.
dont wanna jihad no more
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

(Mirror Video Link)
Here's what I got for Level BC (sorry for the absolutely late delay of progression). More graphical tweaks will be done later. I'm thinking either clouds going at parallax scroll (like in KDL3, except more SMW-ey), or a moon that stays in place while the hills move through parallax scroll (I can code it in Gradiantool, however I'm not sure if worldpeace wants me to insert it due to this hack's uberASM being tweaked differently).

BTW: Happy Birthday to Aterraformer. ;)

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I don't think I fully understand parallax scroll or what you want. Basically I don't know KDL3. I guess what you're saying is about HDMA effect to layer 2? If I'm correct, it's possible for me to look into the compatibility problem if it exists, or to hardcode the effect without using the tool. What is gradiantool? I couldn't find it on smwcentral.

Anyway, the level seems to be nicely done! I'm glad about it. (too bad I've been spoiled by the video so I may not be able to estimate the difficulty later)

Also happy birthday aterraformer ^^
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

I don't think I fully understand parallax scroll or what you want. Basically I don't know KDL3. I guess what you're saying is about HDMA effect to layer 2? If I'm correct, it's possible for me to look into the compatibility problem if it exists, or to hardcode the effect without using the tool.
KDL3 = Kirby Dreamland 3

Also I meant clouds that move as if some are far away and some of close. Example
What is gradiantool? I couldn't find it on smwcentral.
Whoops, I mean "Effect Tool", which is basically a tool released during the Summer C3 from this year. Here's the thread release.

Speaking of clouds/moons, I decided to create two different backgrounds with those elements.
Image Image

Which do you prefer? Actually coming to think about it, the Moon could work for Layer 3, but I actually don't know how to use the Layer 3 mechanic in LM (it keeps crashing whenever I create a custom background, but I only tried it in a different rom). That, and there's Info boxes...

worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I made a new port finally, and here you are.

This song can be used as real final's BGM. Originally I intended it to be an underground song, but I think it fits castle theme too. It might be too luxurious to use the 2 minute song for just a cave level. (reuploaded)
The Profound.zip
(47.99 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Previously I tried to port the following song, but it was screwed up because the size of samples was too big. It seemed infeasible to put piano, various percussions, and string ensambles into 65kb limitation.
Avalon(20%).zip
(43.53 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

hey terraman, could you place me in AC because I made that and it's inserted!
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

The door before the Final Boss
The door before the Final Boss
Room of Paintings.png (33.65 KiB) Viewed 8027 times
Since there isn't much going on, I decided to do this just to build suspense. This room would be effective with this song ported. The main concept for this room is to give the player the "you've passed all these levels, your final challenge awaits" feeling before the final boss. ;)

mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Post by mellonpizza »

Daizo wrote:
Room of Paintings.png
Since there isn't much going on, I decided to do this just to build suspense. This room would be effective with this song ported. The main concept for this room is to give the player the "you've passed all these levels, your final challenge awaits" feeling before the final boss. ;)
I like the Idea of this. A couple of suggestions I had:
-If there is enough space in ExGFX, make the portaraits bigger. Maybe render some of them as sprites for space saving? Or if there actually is a way to change used GFX files while the game is running a level, there could be levelASM, and the level could be designed so that you can't go back to previous pictures or something.
-Maybe make it a vertical level that you climb up, representing a tower you're climbing to reach the boss at the very top. The way the door is positioned in the halfway point of the pictures feels weird to me.
-A little idea, but what if instead of a door, you keep climbing up and eventually go through the top of the screen and when you transition to the boss room, you're jumping up to the platform. I think I'd be a neat effect.
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

Additionally:
-I've started experimenting with a Bowser fight. I know I'm being extremely pretentious with attempting this, but I at least want to try and if it doesn't work out, I at least have experience.
-I've started a segment that should precede the boss in real final. It will incorperate the bug spray and bullet shooters like in C|C's Tubular, and maybe other things that give a 'penultimate' feel. I think it's appropriate since it's similar to how SMW's Bowser castle was designed, with the final platforming room using elements that would be used in the boss. Though, Daizo's room may be placed between this and the boss.
-@worldpeace- Are you still considering a second phase to the boss or do you not want to bother at all?
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

mellonpizza wrote:Are you still considering a second phase to the boss or do you not want to bother at all?
I think it's unrealistic considering the time constraints I have. I still have several things which are necessary to finish the collab. If we have less than enough (sub)levels for the plan, I think I will be one of those who have to fill them too. The additional phase isn't my priority since it's just optional, but I may improve the existing one.
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

mellonpizza wrote:-If there is enough space in ExGFX, make the portaraits bigger. Maybe render some of them as sprites for space saving? Or if there actually is a way to change used GFX files while the game is running a level, there could be levelASM, and the level could be designed so that you can't go back to previous pictures or something.
>Making Sprites
>LevelASM
I cannot do any of the ASM mentioned above, as I can only do super simple stuff in LevelASM. Making them bigger would result in me redoing everything.
mellonpizza wrote:-A little idea, but what if instead of a door, you keep climbing up and eventually go through the top of the screen and when you transition to the boss room, you're jumping up to the platform. I think I'd be a neat effect.
I actually thought of that after placing the door, and the suspense would be more noticeable. I'll acknowledge the idea.

mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

First version of real final.
Attachments
Real final BB v1.0.zip
(44.14 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

Concerning final boss music, I came up with a neat idea though it might be a bit unrealistic.

Basically, a JUMP medley, featuring various songs ported for JUMP. Personally I had in mind the overworld map music worldpeace made. It would be a similar idea to this. If not porting, I can probably attempt to do the composition, as I have a decent amount of knowledge concerning that apsect.

Just throwing an idea out there. Again, this is probably a bit too much more work.
Yimmy
buw buw buw
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Yimmy »

So something done on another game with a level editor is building off a template.
So someone sticks blocks in places and I'll add sprites if anybody wants too
Yes, it is because I'm too lazy to place terrain/blocks
feel free to judge me for being lazy!
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

A level for real final. It temporarily uses level B5. If someone has made something on the slot, my level can be moved.
Not sure if every one likes how the camera scrolls.

b5.ips

e: fixed some powerup status discriminations
b5(v2).ips
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I recorded b5 (v2). I beat it quite quickly (although a bit lucky perhaps). The mushroom in the box seems too hard to get (unless it's just there to hit your head against). Sometimes one or other of the grey platforms doesn't appear.
b5recording.zip
Here is another final level level. It finishes abruptly when I run out of sprites.
b4.zip
dont wanna jihad no more
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

B4 zmv

I loved how the coin guy could reflect my emotion that I feel when I die haha. I beat the level after dying approximately 45 times (when I had 60 lives). IDK it may be one of the hardest rooms but I really like how the platforming components work. I think everything is fine except it can be a little shorter.
I wasn't able to figure out how to deal with the disco shells properly. When I reach near the end for the 2nd, 3rd times, some sprites didn't spawn, which is related to this.
If there are many sprites in a sublevel, some sprites don't spawn when you re-enter the sublevel via level transition (reset doors and such). From my experience, vanilla hacks also suffered from this.
Actually the retry prompt adopted this level transition method instead of getting into "level loading" game mode. I actually found some long sublevels didn't work well with the current retry prompt.
I would have died even more times without it, but I feel it may be intended by you(the level automatically makes itself easier)
Perhaps I need to find a way to bypass the glitch(for retry dialogue only) instead of debugging it because it hasn't been fixed by any of smw hackers(I may be wrong), I have no idea how tough it will be to debug the bug.

On my level, the demand is to move backward a little (hit the same ceiling until castle blocks reach green coins) to handle obstacles easily. Getting the mushroom also requires you to move left and to hit the brown block again, though I see it wasn't that clear.

---

Up to now we've collected 10 sublevels for the real final (4 of them were made in recent weeks). I vaguely think the number cannot exceed 12 due to their difficulty, and probably 10 is more than enough already. Is anybody planning to make another real final room? I remember at least 1 or 2 people want to make levels.
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Post by lolyoshi »

worldpeace125 wrote: Up to now we've collected 10 sublevels for the real final (4 of them were made in recent weeks). I vaguely think the number cannot exceed 12 due to their difficulty, and probably 10 is more than enough already. Is anybody planning to make another real final room? I remember at least 1 or 2 people want to make levels.
I still had mine claimed, and I do want to make another one soon enough.
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

Me too (BD), though it involves making a custom sprite first. It seems the issue I'm having involves the levelASM routine handling cluster sprite code; I'll study some code that uses clusters correctly and see what I'm missing.