(shouting)

Episode 2 Level Review and Testing Discussion

The second SMBX collab!
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Post by Awakenyourmind »

I can work on my level more if you guys want. How much time do we have? It's too good not to use, and I could fix it up pretty quickly.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

There's no deadline yet, but it might be soon considering 50 levels have been approved and 90 levels is what SAJewers wants.

Also Franky your level got approved a while ago, hahaha.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

I see. Well if you guys dont want me to fix it up are there other levels open? I can make something quick I've got the free time.

Edit: Finally got the free time lol
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

Yeah, we've got a bunch of open slots. Like 40.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Any type of level? I'll get started right away.
Axon

Post by Axon »

SAJewers wrote:Replaying the boss again, I seem to be dying a lot because I end up losing where I am. It's too much to do all the platforming and look at where he is at the same time. The platforming challenge should be front and center, and whether or not I can hit him, or where he is on the screen, shouldn't be a concern.
Alright, I've updated the level to address this (and the other points). Now you don't have to both try to hit the boss and do platforming at the same time. Please tell me what you think when you have some time.
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Castle Climb During Wintertime has been updated. Hopefully this update addresses your concerns, SAJewers. Links are on the Wiki.

EDIT: Desert Dash: Goopa Brigade! has been updated with a lua filter! Since it's already in the approved level list, I put the download link on the level's wikia page, where the updates are. Download it, yo!
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

I also made a minor update to my level. It just has a replacement effect graphic now to match up better with the colors used (SAJewers requested it like forever ago.) The download link is up to date on the wiki.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

WestonSmith wrote:Ice Block Drop
No judgement yet

You're right, this is still very difficult for world 2. The level is super slippery and that combined with the two autoscrollers would probably make it very annoying for relatively new players. Sometimes there's not even enough time to hit the blocks and hope for powerups.

You also need to have very good reaction time in order to jump across the platforms, as the platform on the snowman line unexpected goes across the middle and thus offscreen, and the two thwomp blocks at the end are extremely hard to get across without knowing what lies ahead.

However I know this level can easily be fixed so that it can be approved which is why I'm not rejecting it.

The easiest big fix for this level would be to remove the two autoscrollers completely, or slow them down.

I would also suggest to give a lot more leeway to the thwomps at the end, and make it so are able to kill the snowmen by jumping on them (you can stand on them and suddenly get unfairly hit by their snowballs otherwise).

Once these issues are fixed as well as the ones you mentioned, I can approve it.

Hoeloe wrote:Towards the New World
Approved

Very nice experience-based level. It plays very well even with the blizzard slowing you down a ton at the end. It lasted a bit long for my tastes though but that could just be me.

Also, the pine tree graphics looks a bit weird since it looks like it has unnecessary pixel noise?

Still, great job with this, especially with the foreground stuff.

Axon wrote:Ann Brown and the Fountainhead
Approved

Omg this level is weird yet pretty hilarious and great. The outdoor part is really nice and the bank is just plain silly.
However for some reason the mushroom wasn't showing up whenever you start at the first multipoint and I had to scroll offscreen and back to get it. I also managed to get a cart to land on me in the ascetic section somehow.
Other than those two things this level is fantastic especially with the ending boss.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Axon

Post by Axon »

FrozenQuills wrote:
Axon wrote:Ann Brown and the Fountainhead
Approved

Omg this level is weird yet pretty hilarious and great. The outdoor part is really nice and the bank is just plain silly.
However for some reason the mushroom wasn't showing up whenever you start at the first multipoint and I had to scroll offscreen and back to get it. I also managed to get a cart to land on me in the ascetic section somehow.
Other than those two things this level is fantastic especially with the ending boss.
Glad you liked it! About the multipoint thing, I also had that problem originally, and it has to do with not having the latest version of multipoints. I really think the latest version of Lunalua should come with it. About the ascetic section, I'm probably going to tweak a thing or two in the future.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

FrozenQuills wrote:
WestonSmith wrote:Ice Block Drop
No judgement yet

You're right, this is still very difficult for world 2. The level is super slippery and that combined with the two autoscrollers would probably make it very annoying for relatively new players. Sometimes there's not even enough time to hit the blocks and hope for powerups.

You also need to have very good reaction time in order to jump across the platforms, as the platform on the snowman line unexpected goes across the middle and thus offscreen, and the two thwomp blocks at the end are extremely hard to get across without knowing what lies ahead.

However I know this level can easily be fixed so that it can be approved which is why I'm not rejecting it.

The easiest big fix for this level would be to remove the two autoscrollers completely, or slow them down.

I would also suggest to give a lot more leeway to the thwomps at the end, and make it so are able to kill the snowmen by jumping on them (you can stand on them and suddenly get unfairly hit by their snowballs otherwise).

Once these issues are fixed as well as the ones you mentioned, I can approve it.
Dropped the level from the submissions list (for now). All valid points, so I'll probably be doing some major re-working to get this up to snuff.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

I should be more assertive in my decisions to get the queue down rather than be all like oh man no judgement because of things.
FriendlyDictator wrote:SKULLDUGGERY
Rejected

There's too much that's wrong with this level. Even if the gimmick is kinda neat there's a lot of trial and error that ends up happening in both halves, and not being able to redo obstacles leads to too many "oh I just die now" moments.
But the biggest problem I have with this is the bosses; it's way too easy to make the toaster thing despawn outside the section boundaries, and after you beat it you're likely jumping to avoid it so you ram your face right into the moon of all things.
Unfortunately even if these issues are fixed I feel like it's simply not enough interesting content for what the gimmick presents itself.

Pyro wrote:Everything is a Stone Block
Rejected

Despite the decision, this level actually is not bad. In fact I really like some of the obstacles.
The big problem here is consistency. Sometimes the hitting the sides of the blocks don't hurt you, sometimes they do, leading to several unfair situations. I'm also not sure how that can be fixed easily which is why I'm rejecting it.
Another problem is that some of the background blocks don't have enough contrast, so I sometimes think that some walls are solid when they aren't.
So yeah, the weird behavior of the stone blocks kinda messes up the level, but if you can find some way to fix that I can approve it.

(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Subject: Episode 2 Review Thread
Sorry, SAJewers, I'm completely unable to test anything until I get my PC fixed. Might be able to fix it today, but won't know for sure. Currently interacting via work computer.

I am slightly worried about how quickly everybody else is going through these levels. Will there be an additional round of testing of the levels afterwards? I remember difficulty being a huge problem with the last episode, and not everybody was testing with all available characters.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Oh there will be a Q/A period afterwards.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

My apologies as well, I've likewise been dealing with computer technical problems and currently have my main gaming machine in the shop. Likely won't come back until the holiday period. If there any left to review then, I'll jump in to do so; if not, I'll focus on testing/QA like I did last time.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

The link for my level there on the above post is outdated btw.
The latest version can be donwloaded from here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15031&p=338352#p338352
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Willhart wrote:Dark Prince
Conditionally Approved

Fantastic level! The light gimmick is super cool and very well done. It's a rather difficult level especially with the boss but once you figure out how it works it's pretty awesome and fun.
The only problem is that catnips break the level a bit, especially the pink one that throws vegetables. For example you can completely break the section right after the first midpoint by using catnip to swallow the bully replacements, and even more so with pink catnip since they reveal vanilla death effects by vegetable tossing.
But yeah once you filter out the mounts and/or fix the level so that mounts don't break it, approved.

MrSecurity wrote:Glum
SAJewers wrote:Glum
Approved

Great level. The gimmick is very simple but utilized so creatively, and the atmosphere is very pleasing.
Only problems are that the inside of the houses in the secret exit show some cutoff hills, and that you should be able to go back through the pipe where the secret exit is (I accidentally entered it when I didn't want to in order to dodge the fire plant)

Duvi0 wrote:Frenzy Citadel
Conditionally Approved

This level is pretty challenging wow. Iris is definitely recommended here lol. In fact with other characters, I don't know any other way to do the jump onto the springboards after the midpoint other than shell jumping (which is something a lot of players might not know about). Also, I don't think the ladder part is possible as sheath without getting hurt or something.
But yeah other than the character stuff this is fun for a late game level (would probably be in zebraspace or world 8). Either filter to Iris or make it more doable as other characters and I'll approve.
Last edited by FrozenQuills 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Couple of video reviews from me:

duvi0 - Frenzy Citadel Rejected

Tacoradical - Let's Go Backwards Approved

FrozenQuills - Everyone Hates Ninjis Approved
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

So, how are we doing on levels? I noticed that there are just three levels left to review but we have quite a few spots remaining. If need be, I can work on a level or two next weekend for worlds that have quite a few spots open.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Louiejub wrote:So, how are we doing on levels?
We're short 19 levels as of this post.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

Since we're in need of 20-ish more levels...
Holy wrote:ping
Heavy Sigh wrote:ping
jayScribble wrote:ping
Jolpengammler wrote:ping
Unaniem wrote:ping
Joseph Staleknight wrote:ping
WiiRool wrote:ping
KingTwelveSixteen wrote:ping
You guys have leftover levels on either of these lists. Do you want to resubmit them?
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

I would resubmit it, if I still had it :cry:
I can still try to make a new one though. But I thought enough peeps have been here..
(At the moment I am more in a Lunar Magic Phase again :D But I could definitely try to make another SMBX level again :3)
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016