(shouting)

Episode 2 Level Review and Testing Discussion

The second SMBX collab!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Episode 2 Level Review and Testing Discussion

Post by raocow »

Pyro wrote:
raocow wrote: this level is canon
I made a video for once woah

so in summary:

remove the canon to the right of the midpoint
make 'the big jump' section a bit easier
tone done the fawriels around the two rows of ? blocks
remove some canons next to the yellow toss blocks sections.

I'll wait a bit before doing these changes in case anyone else has thoughts.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Darkonius64
Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Darkonius64 »

SAJewers wrote:If that's OK with rocky, then we can do that.
Darkonius64 wrote: Cliffship Canyon
2 things:

1) You're using Sega Genesis music, so use the VGM, not the OGG
2) I would honestly get rid of the checkpoint room, and put in checkpoints at the end of both of the split paths, but that's just me.

EDIT: Wait pyro are you still doing video reviews? Might have a few levels for you to do.

updated, also i kinda think the checkpoint thingy is cute, and also i can't use lua so i can't use multiple checkpoints in a level
(i mean that lua doesn't seem to work on my laptop, and i'm tryng my hardest to figure this out)
:bi_pride:
My latest SMBX episode
https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.p ... 70#p473070

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://dormivegliagame.com/
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

raocow wrote:
Pyro wrote:
raocow wrote: this level is canon
I made a video for once woah

so in summary:

remove the canon to the right of the midpoint
make 'the big jump' section a bit easier
tone done the fawriels around the two rows of ? blocks
remove some canons next to the yellow toss blocks sections.

I'll wait a bit before doing these changes in case anyone else has thoughts.
I'm sorry, but after losing 60 lives I decided to godmode the level.

I would also suggest remove the pitcher plants. There's enough projectiles on screen as is without having to deal with fireballs.

I would also recommend raising the eighth cannon up by one block so if a player accidentally kills the red goopa that is required for a goopa hop over the seventh cannon, the player can use bullets from the eighth cannon.

Also, seven cannons after the midpoint, I got stuck on the lower ledge when I killed the fawriel and failed to bounce up. I effectively could not jump back up and had to lose a life. I'll let you mull over that one, but I thought I'd just point it out.

I also agree with Pyro in regards to the two rows of ? blocks and also think it might be a good idea to remove the cannon to the left of them.

On the one hand, I feel there's too many cannons, especially given you of all people have difficulties with bullet bills, but on the other, I'm not sure if it's a good idea removing a large number of them.

Still, losing 60 lives on a World 2 level is a bit much.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

60 lives? that seems like a lot, wow

we'll see what affect these changes will make.

you understand though that if I want to concept to work, I kinda have to keep cannons as stage mainstay, haha
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

raocow wrote:60 lives? that seems like a lot, wow

we'll see what affect these changes will make.

you understand though that if I want to concept to work, I kinda have to keep cannons as stage mainstay, haha
Yes, I understand that fully. It might even just require an adjustment of height instead. Also, I forgot to mention that the vine needs to be extended up off screen by a few blocks. i was playing as Sheath at the time and a few of the deaths were a result of Sheath running out of vine and falling into a bullet.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

Woah activity!!! I finally got around to doing a few more levels.
Holy wrote:Shadow of the Erebus
Holy crap this was so cool. The atmosphere was spot on, and the gimmick was simple, but still neat nonetheless. No complaints with this one!
SAJewers wrote:Overgrown Underground
Definite improvement over the original level, though there are a few issues. In the final section before the boss, the wooden bridge intended to catch you after you get the raocoin is too short, possibly making for a surprise lava kill. Also, I feel like in some sections of the level the "overgrown" theme of the level is lost. Some sections, especially the thrid and fifth, need more plants, cacti, vines, etc - they feel too empty as is. Other than that, I like it.
rockythechao wrote:Aquatic Grotto
Aw man this was super fun~! I didn't actually realize there was a secret leek and I only got it because I replayed the level ;p. I love the split path stuff, and the use of mostly vanilla stuff was great. The minecart has the wrong death effect though, it still appears as a shopping cart when it dies.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

gameguy888 wrote:Finally got around to finishing up Hazy Maize Cave.

https://mega.nz/#!IYgmyQJQ!QtJAsjLVaDjZ ... v8__c-sl_4

Lots of little level tweaks, so I'm only gonna note the big ones.

There's another section to the level with a Leek in it. Beyond the leek being there, it's another way to get a new ear of corn if you lose the first one before the midpoint. If you bring the first corn, or this new corn from the new section it will spawn near the midpoint if you die.

Sprite edits for all enemies. They all have their own "unique" way of surviving the gas.

Although the level is beatable as Sheath (it's just much harder), talking to the guy at the start will spawn character blocks if the player wishes to use them.

Level contains a few more power-ups and less cheese. Some enemy and platform layouts were made a bit easier.
All the graphical tweaks you've made have really solved the visual problems I had the last time I reviewed this. Plus they're kind of cute.

My only problem is that I accidentally threw away the corn before entering the room with the midpoint. Now everytime I die, I have to redo the new section, which is really exhausting me.

Your changelog suggests there shoudl be an ear of corn in the new section, but I can't for the life of me find it.
gameguy888
Man, I dunno.

Post by gameguy888 »

ztarwuff wrote:

There's another section to the level with a Leek in it. Beyond the leek being there, it's another way to get a new ear of corn if you lose the first one before the midpoint. If you bring the first corn, or this new corn from the new section it will spawn near the midpoint if you die.

Sprite edits for all enemies. They all have their own "unique" way of surviving the gas.

Although the level is beatable as Sheath (it's just much harder), talking to the guy at the start will spawn character blocks if the player wishes to use them.

Level contains a few more power-ups and less cheese. Some enemy and platform layouts were made a bit easier.
All the graphical tweaks you've made have really solved the visual problems I had the last time I reviewed this. Plus they're kind of cute.

My only problem is that I accidentally threw away the corn before entering the room with the midpoint. Now everytime I die, I have to redo the new section, which is really exhausting me.

Your changelog suggests there shoudl be an ear of corn in the new section, but I can't for the life of me find it.
Oops! Activated the wrong event somehow. Not sure how I missed that. Uploaded a new version with a fix.
Words go here sometimes.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

gameguy888 wrote:
ztarwuff wrote:

Oops! Activated the wrong event somehow. Not sure how I missed that. Uploaded a new version with a fix.
Problem solved! It's good to go. Moving it into the approved list.