Episode 2 Theme/Town Thread

The second SMBX collab!
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Episode 2 Theme/Town Thread

Post by Hoeloe »

Voltgloss wrote:
Rockythechao wrote:Treading old ground again. Check the link in my sig, that post links to a mini-faq I wrote earlier in this thread. Gonna hafta add the filter forecast stuff when I get back to my computer.
I read the mini-faq you wrote before making my post. My point is that we should see the currency/shop concept in action. Your description helps, but a working example would help even more.
I'm working on it. I'm building a library as I go to make things even easier to work with.

I have a basic shop working now, I just want to touch it up a little and put the library together before posting it as an example.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Okay! I FINALLY have a rudimentary example of the raocoin system!

There is a small world map (creatively named "world"), a level with 5 raocoins, a leek and a midpoint, and a shop, where basic powerups and some bonus content can be purchased for raocoins.

Most of the code is in the library named "raocoin.lua", but in order for the example to work, you'll need the trigger library, too. All required files are in the zip. To install them, put the "lua" folder inside the "Main Game" folder (alongside the exe), and the world data as normal with the worlds folder.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/308 ... ibrary.zip

Here's a screenshot: Image

Keep in mind that the actual design and layouts can be done a lot better than this. This is just a very simple example using some basic techniques, but the system allows for anything to trigger a purchase, not just whacking blocks.
Kil

Post by Kil »

Was this the thread about the music code? I was thinking, maybe the code should be changed to 'musicinfo' so as not to preclude anyone from using the 'music' keyword in the future. For instance if someone was making a jukebox level with typed commands it'd kind of interfere with that. Also maybe it should include the level author info as well.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

I have an idea for at least a part of a town. Would an enemy zoo be a good idea? It could be used to help the inform the player about what the enemy types can do.
Don't be afraid to check out my Youtube channel.
I am making let's plays now!
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Lv27MarkerMMan wrote:I have an idea for at least a part of a town. Would an enemy zoo be a good idea? It could be used to help the inform the player about what the enemy types can do.
I don't think that could be done because a lot of enemies are sprite swaps and can't be used with each other. The TYPES yes.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

What are people's opinions on leeks in towns? I've been having a think about my idea for a desert town, and I've come up with a side quest that could easily give a leek as a reward. I'm all for adding more town content, so I think one or two leeks in a town isn't a bad thing, but I'd be interested in what others think.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Hoeloe wrote:What are people's opinions on leeks in towns? I've been having a think about my idea for a desert town, and I've come up with a side quest that could easily give a leek as a reward. I'm all for adding more town content, so I think one or two leeks in a town isn't a bad thing, but I'd be interested in what others think.
I think getting leeks through sidequests would be okay, but I think the main draw is that adding too many leeks within a town, so one or two sounds about right. I remember my town being bland in comparison to the others due to lack of leeks and positioning nearing endgame (as well a plagued with many errors), so make sure that you add something interesting and satisfying content as well.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

jayScribble wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:What are people's opinions on leeks in towns? I've been having a think about my idea for a desert town, and I've come up with a side quest that could easily give a leek as a reward. I'm all for adding more town content, so I think one or two leeks in a town isn't a bad thing, but I'd be interested in what others think.
I think getting leeks through sidequests would be okay, but I think the main draw is that adding too many leeks within a town, so one or two sounds about right. I remember my town being bland in comparison to the others due to lack of leeks and positioning nearing endgame (as well a plagued with many errors), so make sure that you add something interesting and satisfying content as well.
My plan was to have a sort of town-wide fetch quest, where you have to explore around to find certain objects, and bring them all to the same place for a leek (I can use Lua to a) stop them despawning and b) ensure that if they do, another respawns). On top of that, I have a couple of extra ideas for flavourtext and exploration, as well as shop and leek sanctuary of course.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Hoeloe wrote:
jayScribble wrote:
My plan was to have a sort of town-wide fetch quest, where you have to explore around to find certain objects, and bring them all to the same place for a leek (I can use Lua to a) stop them despawning and b) ensure that if they do, another respawns). On top of that, I have a couple of extra ideas for flavourtext and exploration, as well as shop and leek sanctuary of course.
Sounds great to me.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Just did a test in Lua for object persistence, which allows a maximum of one object to exist in the level. It prevents the object despawning, and if it does get destroyed or thrown out of section boundaries, then it can be respawned just fine. This is necessary for my idea to work, and it seems to be relatively easy to do.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Having reviewed a number of levels, I think it's safe to say we'll probably have another City/Factory world, probably World 7.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Imaynotbehere4long
Gone, but...yeah, pretty much forgotten.

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

Rockythechao wrote:
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:Actually, that gives me an idea: one of the towns could be on the moon and be populated by self-proclaimed "lunatics," and it would be portrayed as an extremely technically advanced society and heavily feature stuff that requires LunaLua to implement.
I've seen some talk of tech demo-style towns before, though this one sounds particularly nifty. Why not post that idea in the town thread?
(If such a town does make it into the game, I wanna be the wacky mad scientist character living on the outskirts of the town/city who constantly has his inventions exploding in his face)
Posting this here just in case we can get it to fit in.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Ok, looking at some of these submitted levels with an approval, as well as the ones that have been approved, it looks like we might have the following worlds:

World 1: Hills/Mountians/Grasslands
World 2: Snow
World 3: Sand/Desert
World 4: Caves
World 5: City/Factory
World 6: Water/Beach
World 7: "Weird World" (Demo's Fluffy Dream, ups and Downs of a Demo, Monoland, etc.)
World 8: Sky
Postgame: Zebraspace

I'm not entirely sold on the first few worlds, though. The main problem is that we have a lot of levels that are mid-game difficulty right now
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

SAJewers wrote: World 3: Sand/Desert
Dibs on this town. I have a really neat idea for it.
Wohlstand
Moondust and TheXTech developer
First name: Vitaly
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Wohlstand »

SAJewers wrote:World 5: City/Factory
How I already told about my level in IRC, I wish to use my level as two-side warp between city and factory (which located at suburban).
First time you required to pass level's adventure, but after taking a leek you can quickly go through level via grey pipe which will connect both level entrances to allow two-side walking between City and Factory sides. More detail info here

(Did I wrote in right place or I should move this post into "Episode 2 Discussion thread"?)

Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

are we claiming towns already? if so id love to do :
SAJewers wrote: World 5: City/Factory
Image Image
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Wohlstand wrote:
SAJewers wrote:World 5: City/Factory
How I already told about my level in IRC, I wish to use my level as two-side warp between city and factory (which located at suburban).
First time you required to pass level's adventure, but after taking a leek you can quickly go through level via grey pipe which will connect both level entrances to allow two-side walking between City and Factory sides. More detail info here

(Did I wrote in right place or I should move this post into "Episode 2 Discussion thread"?)

Yeah, I like that idea very much. Let's do that.
Mabel wrote:are we claiming towns already? if so id love to do :
Based on the above discussion, why not have 2 towns for world 5. You can claim the factory side or the City side. I might take the other side.

Note that none of those worlds are set in stone yet, as most of the levels I'm factoring in haven't been fully approved yet. Go review levels first :P.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

SAJewers wrote: World 1: Hills/Mountians/Grasslands
World 2: Snow
World 3: Sand/Desert
World 4: Caves
World 5: City/Factory
World 6: Water/Beach
World 7: "Weird World" (Demo's Fluffy Dream, ups and Downs of a Demo, Monoland, etc.)
World 8: Sky
Postgame: Zebraspace
Dibs on World 7 town.

Also, an idea that I have: maybe the grass world can be a normal grass world with a twist? The idea I have is that the grass area is all a facade for a high-tech underground base for a secret organization of Goopas or something, and the world ends with Demo and company invading the base.
Wohlstand
Moondust and TheXTech developer
First name: Vitaly
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Wohlstand »

SAJewers wrote:Yeah, I like that idea very much. Let's do that.
Then I think, I also have idea: we are able to draw on the world map between City and Factory the big forest and railways line which connects them (rails will be non-walkable by player, just first station to enter into train level from City, and third station about river and tunnel to depot - exit about factory).
I think you can draw that stuff yourself or I will draw sketch of that piece myself to find ideas of that.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, I was thinking the OW would have a forest between each section.

Also, now that I think of it, how would this work going the other way (from the second half back to the first)? Play your level in reverse (assuming your level gets approved, but I can't see that not happening)? skip it entirely?

Also, if it's OK, now that I think of it, we'd need the city half to be the second half, for Hope Rides alone to be the last level of the world (again, I'm assuming this gets approved).
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

Mabel wrote:are we claiming towns already? if so id love to do :
Based on the above discussion, why not have 2 towns for world 5. You can claim the factory side or the City side. I might take the other side.

Note that none of those worlds are set in stone yet, as most of the levels I'm factoring in haven't been fully approved yet. Go review levels first :P.[/quote]
That actually sounds really good. I can take either side.

I also happen to have a city and factory I've yet to submit so there's that too.
Image Image
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Pyro wrote:Dibs on World 7 town.

Also, an idea that I have: maybe the grass world can be a normal grass world with a twist? The idea I have is that the grass area is all a facade for a high-tech underground base for a secret organization of Goopas or something, and the world ends with Demo and company invading the base.
So, funny story... I've been working on expanding the goopa village I made as a cinematX sample level into a potential early-game town.
Any interest in collaborating on inter-level/-world shenanigans?
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

Rockythechao wrote: So, funny story... I've been working on expanding the goopa village I made as a cinematX sample level into a potential early-game town.
Any interest in collaborating on inter-level/-world shenanigans?
HECK YEAH GOOPA ILLUMINATI SUB-PLOT, sure!
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Funny enough, I had found music that would fit perfectly for something like that.

Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

So, regarding the raocoin shops and leek sanctuaries, are there any specific guidelines for their layouts, music, NPCs, etc.?
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)