(shouting)

A2MBXT Cutscenes and Story SPOILERS (no raocows allowed)

The second SMBX collab!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: A2MBXT Cutscenes and Story SPOILERS (no raocows allowed)

Post by SAJewers »

Well, they shouldn't need any judging criteria outside of people being happy with what it is for its purpose. The tutorial should not be a level in the standard sense of any other level. It needs to be its own thing outside of the regular level system, and along the lines of things like the uncles.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

SAJewers wrote:Well, they shouldn't need any judging criteria outside of people being happy with what it is for its purpose. The tutorial should not be a level in the standard sense of any other level. It needs to be its own thing outside of the regular level system, and along the lines of things like the uncles.
I'm not so sure about that. The most effective tutorials are almost indistinguishable from regular levels at a glance. The issue is that in order to achieve this you can't just take any random level and stick it at the front, it needs to be incredibly well crafted for this purpose. So while I'd like to see a tutorial section that is more or less just a level, I say it needs to be made specially, not picked from the level pool. The reason for this is simply that a lot of care needs to be put into a level to make it effective at teaching the player, and unless it's built with that goal in mind, it won't be.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

That's what I mean. Craft the level specifially for that purpose, and put it in without the need for the 3 approvals stuff and whatnot.
Imaynotbehere4long
Gone, but...yeah, pretty much forgotten.

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

SAJewers wrote:Craft the level specifially for that purpose, and put it in without the need for the 3 approvals stuff and whatnot.
It would still be a good idea to have the judges go over the tutorial levels to make sure they achieve that purpose, though. Some way of double-checking these things is always a good idea.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

It shouldn't need to if people are working collabopratively on it, and actively working to make it as good as possible. It shouldn't need 3 people to approve it after the fact because at least 3 people should have been looking at the level as it was being made, and would've signed off on it.
Imaynotbehere4long

SAJewers wrote:It shouldn't need to if people are working collabopratively [sic] on it, and actively working to make it as good as possible. It shouldn't need 3 people to approve it after the fact because at least 3 people should have been looking at the level as it was being made, and would've signed off on it.
Oh, I see. You never mentioned that the tutorial(s) themselves would also be collaborations, so I just assumed that one person could/would make each tutorial, like I tried to do for Sheath with The Post Production Void. I understand what you were saying now.
My SMBX portfolio:

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, I want to specifically avoid what happened with the siblings in Ep1, where each were solely made by 1 person, and plodded in without anyone really looking at it. People should be able to claim things like Uncles, and towns, cutscenes, etc., but it needs a proper process that's not people making whatever they want at will, and the regular level review system doesn't fit it IMO.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Rockythechao wrote:Well, I posted this in the skype group so I should probably post it here as well.

Long story short, supermario128/superbdemo128 cheat + some Lua stuff = why didn't I think of this sooner

Not trying to push the cutscene's content, just sharing the tech. The dialogue/scenario/etc. seen here will most likely be changed to better fit whatever direction we end up taking the story.
So, update on this: it turns out Player objects are rather stubborn and won't let you override their animation like NPCs will. As such, I've gone and added yet another feature I hadn't planned to start working on for a while: external spritesheet animation.

Image (blame imgur for Broadsword's flashing 'stache)

At the moment this system works a bit differently than normal cinematX NPC animation: The sprite sheets use separate columns for left and right, and instead of using states with specific loop points you specify an array of frames and it will cycle through those frames at a given speed. I'm still considering how best to tie it into the standard animation system/animdata tables/files, and I might add basic commands like looping and pausing to give a bit more control over this stuff.

Also, textblox is getting integrated ahead of schedule as well and a few functions are getting versions with named arguments. So, uh, yeah.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Imaynotbehere4long

SAJewers wrote:!
Rockythechao wrote:!
Hoeloe wrote:!
Pyro wrote:?
You guys, I think I finally figured it out: Post Production Void won't be the first level, but instead, the first level begins with Sheath staring out into the Void saying something en-medias-res like "Reality is about to be destroyed, but it didn't have to be like this." Then, it fades into redesigned grey-scale renditions of various areas from the first game. The levels will be recognizable as areas from Episode 1, but will have been redesigned to be tutorials for the other characters. At the end, Sheath recaps the EoW8 cut-scene, and then it leads into my level (minus the opening text scroll) via a warp.

Thoughts?

E: "I remember what happened quite well; I was there, too, after all."
My SMBX portfolio:

SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

That can work, but we really shouldn't be talking about this now. We should get levels in, then talk more concrete about this stuff.
Imaynotbehere4long

The reason I'm bringing it up is because that would mean the first level will go left-to-right, and this will allow my level to go right-to-left since my level won't be first anymore. Plus, since it will recap Ep. 1's EoW8, it will show why my level goes right-to-left: the main characters had to escape the collapsing reality, and at the end of the escape sequence, Science gives Sheath the Sacred Turtle Dove so that she can go back and fix everything (aka backtracking).

You say we should get levels in first, but that's all I'm trying to do: get my level in. It's not like any of this will affect the main story or anything.

E: Oh, you said that it would work. Cool. Now I just have to fix the other stuff and it should be good to go.
My SMBX portfolio:

SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Worry about that later when we get to that stuff.
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

just digging through the thread looking at some idea and i figured I would quote these things for people to look at.

this one post has darky and demos story bible, idk how everyone felt about using it.
Rockythechao wrote:As mentioned over in the discussion thread, this is the most up-to-date version of the story bible darkychao and Demolition were working on. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1R0b ... sp=sharing

A quick disclaimer from darky:
darkychao wrote:Hmmm... reading back through this now, if the project ever actually gets to the 4th chapter you guys should probably change the name of the post-optimal and/or it's parts. I'm not sure if Septentrion would want to be referenced in a talkhaus project, or for that matter if the people at the talkhaus would want a reference to him.
I wrote a blurb about the plot over in the boss thread as well, so here's that as well:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15041&p=312792#p312792

Also, I should probably mention I started a couple sets of in-depth character bios back in November based on details from the story bible and my chat with Demolition. They're super-incomplete and I've since expanded the template I used for them, but the content/format could probably be recycled into a thread here or pages on the dev wiki.

Demo & company:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vof ... sp=sharing

Siblings:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ebO ... sp=sharing

Expanded template:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16iN ... sp=sharing
and here's some other pretty alright idea Voltgoss whipped up forever ago.
Voltgloss wrote:Here are my story suggestions for Episode 2. I've numbered each suggestion so that we can pick and choose those (if any) that, by consensus, make it into the game. This also makes it easier for a level designer to make a level or boss fight based on a discrete piece of this, if he or she gets inspiration from and wants to create anything listed.

To SAJewers' point, I'm not suggesting or even asking that anyone has to make anything listed here; if there is no interest in making any piece of this, that piece won't be in the game. I'm simply throwing this all out there in case someone does like an idea here and wants to run with it.

Massive proposed spoilers follow, of course.

1. Proposed title: "digital surf" (Same syllabic pattern as Episode 1, and also same pattern of a "type of control" followed by a "type of music".)

- World 1 -

2. The game begins with Demo and Iris leaving the CoNS with a leek. But they're not picked up by Demo's ship. Instead, the ship seems to be missing entirely.

3. The nearby Giant Egg then explodes.

4. Investigating the explostion (for lack of any better ideas), Demo and Iris find a tremendous crater going underground, revealed when the "shell" of the Giant Egg was destroyed. They also find a dazed Sheath at the edge.

5. Demo and Iris ask Sheath, "Who the heck are you?" Sheath barely remembers her own name, and doesn't know where she is . But she does recognize Demo and Iris, and remembers they need to beat up some "bad guys" with the help of "that weird bald guy and the Canadian."

6. They collect raocow and Kood and start World 1, which is the same planet as Episode 1, but new levels because they are going underground where the Giant Egg used to be.

7. Instead of Calleoca randomly appearing in levels and being unexplained, a new cycloptic character is randomly appearing in levels being all unexplained and giving cryptic comments. (To be explained in World 4; see below).

8. The final level of World 1 is an apparently deserted underground science lab. The boss is an automated security system of some type (level maker's choice). Destroying it removes or turns off all hazards in the lab, and reveals a Super Leek.

9. After defeating the World 1 final boss, the team continues to explore the now-no-longer-dangerous deserted lab. They find a place to install the Super Leek to restore some, but minimal, power to some of the lab's functions.

10. The first of those they find is a short recording. When played back, it shows Science talking about progress in gathering Super Leeks, with someone offscreen (who isn't identified and whose speech isn't heard). They are interrupted by an explosion from overhead, a rain of lasers into their location, and finally another explosion that whites out the camera.

11. Looking in the next room, the team finds a bunch of destroyed glass containers (like those that held the sibligs in Johnson McCain & the Communists), along with - most prominently - Pandamona's cardboard box, ripped to shreds and empty; and Science's floating UFO, cracked, broken, and also empty.

12. Upon seeing this, Sheath's immediate reaction is, "WE DID IT! WE DEFEATED SCIENCE!", with the same closeup and victory music as from Episode 1 EOW8. As far as Sheath is concerned, their quest is now complete.

13. But Demo and Iris still want to find their missing ship. Exploring further they find two teleporters that are active. These lead to Worlds 2 and 3. And the Destroyed Lab, slowly restored to power with gathering Super Leeks, serves as the new Hub for Episode 2.

- Worlds 2 and 3 -

14. Midway through each of Worlds 2 and 3, the team hits a "boss fight" icon on the map. Each is a fight with one of the Uncles (neither of them Broadsword). The team don't recognize either Uncle, the attacks are unexplained, and each flees once defeated.

15. At the end of World 2, the team finds, not only a Super Leek, but also Pily. Unfortunately she is frozen in a block of ice and can't communicate with them. The team decides to take her back to the Destroyed Lab.

16. Midway through World 3, the team hits another "boss fight" icon. This time it's Uncle @sbestos. He can be chattier than Uncle Pumpernickel, indicating that he can't let the Super Leek be found by the likes of them. Again, he flees once defeated.

17. At the end of World 3, the team finds, not only a Super Leek, but also Nevada. He is abjectly terrified of something, doesn't communicate meaningfully, and - once the Leek is obtained and a portal back to the Ruined Lab opened - immediately flees right into that portal. Nevada is then hiding in the Ruined Lab but still so scared of something that he won't talk.

18. The Super Leeks from Worlds 2 and 3 power up a teleporter to World 4.

- World 4 -

19. World 4 proves to be one of the same Worlds from Episode 1. But it's a world under attack by a minion army, that the locals say came from a mysterious flying ship that's also bombarding the planet with lasers. Demo and Iris recognize that as their ship and hope to catch up with it.

20. The locals also tell the team that the army from the flying ship fought against and basically destroyed another army that had been in the world looking for a Super Leek.

21. At the beginning of the last level of the World, the hooded cyclops (see #7) reveals himself. It's Uncle Broadsword. He challenges Demo to prove herself by obtaining the World's Super Leek. He does not fight the team himself.

22. The World 4 boss protecting the Super Leek is paranoid, claiming the team has come to take "all he has left" and attacks. Upon defeat/destruction, the team find that the boss was being controlled or piloted by... Garish (now unconscious).

23. Before Garish wakes up, and after the team gets the Super Leek, Uncle Broadsword approaches and congratulates Demo.

24. And then a hail of lasers pounds at the team from the sky. Uncle Broadsword saves them and/or gets them to safety. Panning up, we see the lasers come from Demo/Iris's ship. Which they see is being piloted by... Pandamona, in a new souped-up box, with Mishi and Calleoca by her side. Next to them is a jar with Science's eye in it. Pandamona vows that she'll "get them next time" and the ship flies off into space.

25. Someone (Kood perhaps) demands answers of Uncle Broadsword, since he seems to know more about what's going on than anyone. Uncle Broadsword agrees and says he'll tell them back at the Destroyed Lab.

26. At the Lab, with four Super Leeks, the team finds that (i) Nevada has calmed down and (ii) Pily has thawed. Pily thanks the team for, apparently, breaking her and Nevada's brainwashing. She says she has important exposition though no one but Kood wants to hear it - basically a repeat of Episode 1 EOW6. But the difference is Uncle Broadsword, who produces a classy gold watch on a chain and says he knows what to do. He presses it...

27. ...and we get a chipmunk time version of Episode 1 EOW6 slideshow/narration, blowing through all the images and Pily's speech in about 20 seconds. When done and back in the regular cutscene, Pily asks "did you get all that?" and Demo and Iris both respond "Yes."

28. Then Uncle Broadsword says "And now it's my turn. Demo, you know about the Siblings... let me tell you about your Uncles." (If we decide to make a new slideshow/narration like Pily's in Episode 1, then it happens here, narrated by Uncle Broadsword.)

29. Uncle Broadsword explains that the Uncles are the last original survivors of the Cycloptic race. Not created by the Artist, but rather found by the Artist. Brainwashed just the same though, and specifically tasked with finding the most difficult-to-locate Super Leeks - and kept secret even from the Siblings.

30. Uncle Broadsword also warns that the other Uncles appear to still be brainwashed and should be treated with extreme caution. He broke his brainwashing when he saw Demo, because Demo was always his favorite niece and seeing her again was enough for him to overcome the Artist's programming. Iris appears very jealous, claiming she never liked Uncle Broadsword; and Uncle Broadsword doesn't acknowledge Iris at all.

31. Worlds 5, 6, and 7 are now unlocked.

32. The cutscene ends with Garish waking up back on World 4, because everyone left him there. He sits, alone, in the rain. He looks up as a shadowy figure approaches, says "Who's there?"... and the scene abruptly cuts to black.

- Worlds 5, 6, 7 -

33. Cutscenes at the start of these worlds could show Pandamona, Mishi, and Calleoca plotting against Demo & Co.; or they could show the other Uncles planning for Demo's arrival. Pandamona's group and the Uncles are not working together.

34. Scenes on the spaceship (now controlled by Pandamona) show that Science is not there willingly. Apparently Pandamona keeps Science in a beaker both so he can't do anything and so she can gloat about her progress at destroying the worlds. Mishi is all for destroying the worlds too. Calleoca's presence goes unexplained.

35. Mid-level boss challenges in these worlds could include Pandamona, Mishi, and the other four Uncles. If Garish shows up again, he has no interest in fighting Demo's team - he's reading some new book, "The King in Yellow," in which he seems totally absorbed. (Perhaps Garish should appear in the Castle of No Significance library, or its Episode 2 equivalent, by this point.)

36. Nevada or Pily are helping Demo's team at this point. If any levelmaker wants to make a level where the player controls Nevada or Pily, they would go here.

37. Gathering these Super Leeks unlocks, not only World 8, but a new recording back at the Ruined Lab. It's timestamped an hour before the explosion recording the team viewed at the end of World 1.

38. This recording shows Pandamona, in her original box (the destroyed one the team found earlier), working with Mishi and Calleoca at the pre-ruined Lab. Pandamona suddenly begins glowing with energy without any explanation and her box explodes. Pandamona herself his unharmed and charged with power, and says that she now remembers it all - how she destroyed one Universe - and how the key to destroying another is to destroy what's keeping them all in check. Mishi asks what that is...

39. ...and Pandamona says, "The Artist." She wants to destroy the Artist.

40. Just then (in the recording), Calleoca gets a reading on Demo & Iris's spaceship with the Lab equipment. Mishi thinks a moment, says she has an idea, locks a teleporter onto the spaceship, and the three of them go in.

41. The recording ends there. A previously-locked door in the Destroyed Lab then opens. The team goes through...

42. ...and finds the room Science was in when the place exploded. It's completely demolished with the ruins of an exceptionally large chair prominent. Uncle Broadsword identifies it as the Artist's chair. Looking inside, they find charred bones. And a teleporter unlocks to lead to World 8.

- World 8 -

43. The first level of World 8 is against Calleoca. She says she doesn't care what Pandamona and Mishi want - she just wants to kill Demo! Mayhem ensues.

44. The final level(s) of World 8 take place on Demo's (now Pandamona's) ship. The team finds Science who begs for them to stop Pandamona; he's hacked into the ship's systems and promises to open a portal they can use to escape once that is done. The final battle is against Pandamona and Mishi, fighting and/or fused together.

45. Upon reaching the eighth Super Leek, Uncle Broadsword appears, congratulating Demo yet again. He says the power of this Leek, plus the other Leeks on the ship, will finally allow the last vestiges of the Artist's brainwashing on the Uncles to be broken. He does something with his watch to do that, and asks the team to help by focusing on it...

46. ...and time stops. Everyone looking at Uncle Broadsword's watch is frozen. Uncle Broadsword puts the watch away, takes the Leek, and leaves.

47. After a moment, Iris moves. She had kept her eye shut and wasn't affected by Uncle Broadsword's watch. She follows and confronts him, saying that she never liked or trusted him. Uncle Broadsword taunts her back, saying Iris could never even think of attaining Demo's potential.

48. Uncle Broadsword then reveals his plan to Iris. He's still working to complete the Artist's plans - always was. But he's not brainwashed; he and the other Uncles worked for the Artist willingly. They want to bring the Artist's plans to fruition, controlling the many worlds of the Universe. The Artist apparently being dead wasn't about to stop them.

49. He needed Demo's help to stop Pandamona and Mishi because they wanted to destroy all the worlds. The Uncles don't want that - they want to control all the worlds.

50. The REAL final challenge of World 8 is Iris against the Uncles, culminating with a final battle between Iris and Broadsword.

- End of World 8 -

51. When Iris defeats Broadsword, his time-stopping power on Demo and the others ends. They look around, confused. Iris can see them from a monitor at Broadsword's secret lair.

52. Suddenly, Garish. Garish bursts into the storeroom of Secret Leeks in the spaceship. He is surrounded by shadows and flickering weirdly. He babbles something about "a REAL new world" and starts firing bizarre dark energy around.

53. Seeing this, Iris rushes to get back to help Demo. But before that, Broadsword - defeated but still alive - shouts for her to wait and "take this" - and he throws his watch to her. He says that, if Iris really wants to save the Multiverse, she needs to make sure that watch stays safe.

54. Iris rushes back to find Garish destroying everything. Demo is trapped under a moving layer that broke. Kood and Sheath fell down a pit. raocow is still there. A portal opens, and they hear Science over the intercom, saying they need to go through NOW. But Iris won't abandon her sister. So she throws the watch to raocow, who runs through the portal, and Iris crouches down to stay by her sister in the final moments of the Multiverse.

55. raocow, the only survivor, sets off into the Terror-Void with the watch from Uncle Broadsword as the artifact keeping him safe.

- World 9 -

56. Serac is here again, like in Episode 1, taunting Demo about needing to practice her deaths more. She (Serac) seems to know that both Episodes 1 and 2 happened.

57. Instead of Zebraspace, I propose World 9 of Episode 2 be yet another mythical place of horrors and wonders that raocow invokes often in his videos - and in particular, with the intro screen declaring the following (which is a direct raocow quote):

WELCOME TO NEW JERSEY
POPULATION: THE END OF THE WORLD

- Final Note -

You will note a distinct lack of Foroze in this. That's because I don't think the storyline should revolve around a boss from one particular LP that raocow played a while back. The backlash we've seen about "in-jokes" has, to my mind, shown that we would do best to drop the Foroze idea.
man, i just realized this thread is much smaller than i remember.
Image Image
WasabiJellyfish

Post by WasabiJellyfish »

STORY MEGAPOST

Okay so after some massive discussion in the skype chat here are some plot points that have been ironed out:

UNCLES:
Broadsword
Broadsword will be the Uncle interacted with most throughout the story with fights in both W3 and as the end boss of W6
Starting off aligned with the Uncles he will be betrayed around W7/W8 by Pumpernickel and join the Demo Krew against Pumpernickel
Fight as Broadsword against Pumpernickel's final form to save the Demo Krew

Pumpernickel
Leader of the Uncles
Uses the others as pawns for his ultimate goal
Completely insane however this is not apparent to start with
Not actually an ABCD

Denmark
Very laid back
Has a hobby (undecided)
Does not really care about the fate of the universe, just goes with the flow

Rewind
Very slow talking and methodical
Second in command to Pumpernickel

@sbestos
Wants to fit in with the other Uncles so he goes along with the plan
Nervous dude
Maybe magic?

UNCLES' MOTIVES:
Thought to be resurrect the cyclops race from extinction, with untold effects on the Universe as a whole. Denmark doesn't really care and thinks having more cyclopes would be neat, Broadsword doesn't think anything bad will happen, Rewind wants to resurrect what he feels is the master race no matter the cost.

Pumpernickel however has other plans and wants to destroy linear time to turn the Universe into arbitrary nonsense like himself. (AKA EXTREME ENTROPY) This leads Broadsword to turn against him in the climax.

Order of power:
Pumpernickel
Rewind
Broadsword
Denmark
@sbestos

CHRONOTRONS
A race of mechanical bird-people who are trying to save the universe by fixing time with their leekorartifact-powered machine R.E.T.C.O.N, whenever a major fix happens this leads to a time jump that brings the krew to a new world.

Later on it is revealed calleoca is a general in the Chronotron ranks, her reasoning being if the universe is destroyed, so is Japan.

If I missed anything tell me but I think I got all the basics? I can edit it later to fit in more stuff
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

WasabiJellyfish wrote:
Denmark
Has a hobby (undecided)
Responses from skype:
- It should be really dumb/boring but he takes it super-seriously and gets really offended when people make fun of it
- collecting painted porcelain pigs (the midpoint room is filled to the brim with them)
- gardening
- marbles
- dominoes (Demo comes in and knocks them over)
- woodworking
- watching paint dry

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
WasabiJellyfish

Idea about Pandamona's role:
Pandamona retrieves the artifact that the Uncles want during world 3 and uses it's power to supercharge herself into rocky's boss.
She is defeated by the Demo Krew and it reinstates her belief in the power of boxes
In W5 you see her again and she is back in her box form
In W7 or W8 she returns again after being defeated in her FINAL BOX FORM
Motivation is to destroy the Demo Krew or simply the world
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

I know I asked this forever ago, but I don't recall ever getting an answer:

Can somebody please provide a summary of Episode 1's plot. Imagine I've never heard of Demo or the Talkhaus before. Tell me what's going on in Episode 1 in a general sense, though an in-depth point by point explanation would be a nice side piece.

I feel this is an important exercise to do before marching forward with Episode 2.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

I've started something to that effect over on the wiki.

http://asmbxt.wikia.com/wiki/ASMT_Series_Story

Feel free to contribute to the character or game pages (use Demo's and A2XT Episode 1's pages as examples for layout and formatting and stuff).

Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

Rockythechao wrote:
WasabiJellyfish wrote:
Denmark
Has a hobby (undecided)
Responses from skype:
- marbles
seconding this.
Image Image
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

If possible, I'd like for the entire plot to be mostly fleshed out soon, so we can get started on working on things like uncles and cutscenes. I'd like to start that by at the latest by the end of the MaGLX2 LP, though if we can start earlier, that's fine.

My understanding so far (based on Skype Discussions), adding to Wasabi's posts earlier:
  • Pyro is working on an end boss For World 1. I have no idea yet on what's going on for World 2
  • Broadsword is introduced somewhere in World 3.
  • Pandamona ends world 3 and formally introduces the uncles. Something about a copy machine as well.
  • Uncle @sbestos is the final boss of World 4
  • Uncle Denmark is the final Boss of World 5. World 5 will be split into 2 halves (Water and Beach), with some sort plot-based midboss in the middle
  • Uncle Broadsword is brought back to end World 6.
  • Uncle Rewind is the final boss of World 7. Like world 5, World 7 will be split into 2 halves, and a plot-based midboss in themiddle. There was some talk of using "Hope Rides Alone" with a robo-raocow as the midboss, but this was never finalized (and this is something we don't have to if we don't want to)
  • Uncle Pumpernickle ends World 8. At the beginning of World 8 (or the direct end of world 7), Uncle Broadsword does a Heel-Face-Turn, and joins demo and crew.
  • Final fight against Pumpernickel you will get to play as Broadsword. Plan is he becomes a playable character in Ep3.
  • World 9's plot will tie things up and be used as the starting point for Ep3.
Basically, we need to figure out what we're doing for Worlds 2 an 9, then flesh things out a bit more.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

I want to try and make a level where you race against Calleoca (who is like a time trial ghost of other people that have played the level) using online highscores. Assuming that comes to fruition it would probably make sense to be in the postgame as a replay value reward. It probably won't affect the plot much, but keep in mind that it might be a thing when designing the World 9's plot.

I hope my idea works out because I'm excited by the prospect of it.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Imaynotbehere4long

SAJewers wrote:ping
Just got back from celebrating Thanksgiving with my family to notice that The Post Production Void has been completely removed from the Episode 2 levels list (it's not even under rejected levels; it just flat out isn't listed there anymore). Any particular reason for this?
My SMBX portfolio:

SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

It's because it doesn't belong in that list. It's not a general level. Only general levels go in that queue.
WasabiJellyfish

So discussion fell on world 2 in the skype chat and a few things have been decided. Garish and Mishi will end up joining the Krew to aid them in their plan to restore the old universe. Garish's reason to join is because he wants to restore his army to its former glory as only he and a select few of his minions have been restored during world 2.

This leads to the boss of world 2, Garish's generals. Rocky the amazing spriter has done up some sprites for two of my designs for these characters, Brisket and Alabasta:
If people like them, I was thinking the fight would be similar to if you were fighting a toned down version of both the Baz and King Knight from Shovel Knight at the same time.

Personality
Alabasta:
Sword aficionado who is extremely defensive of "Lord Garish" and will fight anyone who insults him at the drop of a hat.
Secretly idolises Broadsword as well (in so far to have posters of him inside his room) but keeps it a secret from Garish.

Brisket:
A very prissy and giggly goopa; Brisket is often giggling, smizing and jumping for joy over cute things (sometimes causing tremors for those around). Their pigtails also double as hands for battle and general use, and are great for swinging on.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

So might we want to use and/or adapt some of the recently shown off new characters (from MAGL X2) to create other player-controlled characters in Episode 2? Broadsword immediately leaps to mind, but other ABCD's who may get a turn in the spotlight (Pily? Nevada? Garish?) could benefit as well.

On a related note: if we do go ahead with using Broadsword for the final battle (of which idea I approve), I suggest we have at least a couple of levels earlier in the game where the player gets to learn how to use Broadsword. That would be to avoid any "force the player to learn an entirely new set of mechanics for the final boss" issue.