(shouting)

SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator

The second SMBX collab!
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

I'm not sure if there is another program that people use that can edit many SMBX graphics easily but I've decided to work on this since recolors and edits can be such a pain. If there is an easier way to do graphical edits then this was fun to make anyway, lol.

Let's say you want to recolor this tileset:
With the compiler, you can compile all your graphics into one big image file that you can edit like this:
And then you can separate them all into the original files:
This way, not only is it SUPER fast to recolor a tileset, but you also don't have to open a million files to edit a tileset as well!

DOWNLOADS

Christian07 has made an even better version on the SMBX forums!

NEW!!! DOWNLOAD V1.2 (Should now always work with PNGs)

DOWNLOAD V1.11 (Fixed lightest-color-transparency bug)
DOWNLOAD V1.10 (only works with 64-bit OS)
DOWNLOAD V1.00 (only works with 64-bit OS)
To use this, just extract the folder to somewhere on your computer and follow the instructions in the README.

README
=== SMBX TILESET COMPILER/SEPARATOR by FrozenQuills ===

The goal of this package is to provide an easy way to edit numerous individual
graphical files by creating one big image file out of all of them. This joint image can
be recolored/modified efficiently, and then it can be broken back down to the
new graphical files (with the same original filenames and all).

=== Contents ===

This package should include:
- an edit folder
- an output folder
- JoinImages.exe
- SplitImage.exe
- this readme

=== Instructions ===

1) Place all of the individual graphic files you want to modify all at once in the edit folder
2) Run JoinImages.exe (double click it). It should generate joinedImages.gif outside the edit folder
3) Open joinedImages.gif and make all of your graphical changes there (recolors, edits, etc.)
4) Once you're done, run SplitImage.exe
5) The resulting file graphics from joinedImages.gif should be in the output folder

=== Notes ===

- Ignore imageData.txt: This file is used by the SplitImage.exe and generated by
JoinImages.exe to keep track of the graphic names and heights/widths
in the order they appear in the joint image.

- Whenever you run JoinImages.exe, joinedImages.gif WILL be overwritten by
whatever is in the edit folder, so make sure you save a copy somewhere else if you haven't
run SplitImage.exe yet.

- Likewise, whenever you run SplitImage.exe, graphics in the output folder WILL be replaced by your
changed graphics in joinedImages.gif, so make sure to move them out if you want to use them.

- The edit directory contains a ruins tileset (unknown author) for you to get started (and see
how easy it is to make global recolors and edits).

- You can make super fast global recolors by messing with the hue/saturation in joinImages.gif

- I highly suggest using the recolor tool in Paint.NET in order to do specific color replacements.

- The programs cannot work without the edit or output folders so make sure they exist.

- The background in the joint image is pink in order to differentiate separate tiles.
There is also a 2 pixel buffer between each tile/graphic. Don't worry if you need
to change the background color; it won't affect the individual graphics.

- Contact FrozenQuills on Talkhaus or SMBX forums if you have any bugs or problems with this software.

CHANGELOG

Version 1.11 Changes:
- Should be compatible with 32-bit Windows

Version 1.10 Changes:
- Added PNG support (masks must not be complicated but transparent and semi transparent PNGs are allowed) for Lunalua users
- Two joint image files are now generated, one with all GIFs, and one with all PNGs
Last edited by FrozenQuills 4 years ago, edited 15 times in total.
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Re: SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator

Post by Willhart »

Oh, so this program combines images to a one large one, so that you can edit/recolor them easier? That is really useful, since doing that is one of the things I've found time consuming otherwise, especially with sprites of many different sizes.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

i usually open all of 'em at the same time, hoping i remember the exact numbers correctly between images. this is p neat!
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Oh wow thanks everyone! I can't really think of much else to add to this but I'm glad that it's useful.
This was made in Python, btw.

(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Maybe add PNG support if you didn't already, since the latest LunaLua supports PNG graphics?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

SAJewers wrote:Maybe add PNG support if you didn't already, since the latest LunaLua supports PNG graphics?
This was mostly for maintaining tilesets that SMBX has, so I haven't thought about PNG support. I'll look into it though.

EDIT: It looks like the Python Image library (Pillow) is picky about complicated transparent PNGs so I'm not sure if I could pull it off. Plus even though I can add background transparency support, pasting semi-transparent PNGs is still a whole other mess.
EDIT2: I think I found a way to handle the semi-transparency, but I think Python still barfs if a mask is too complicated.
Last edited by FrozenQuills 8 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

ohmato
hey idiot

Post by ohmato »

Wow, this is one of those things where you think "why didn't someone do this sooner?" Nicely done.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Updated to v1.1.

Version 1.1 Changes:
- Added PNG support (masks must not be complicated but transparent and semi transparent PNGs are allowed) for Lunalua users
- Two joint image files are now generated, one with all GIFs, and one with all PNGs

FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Updated to v1.11

Version 1.11 Changes:
- Should be compatible with 32-bit Windows

Kevsoft
LunaLua Master Developer

Post by Kevsoft »

Looks pretty neat. Actually we should start some sort of a SMBX tools list and bundle them up to a package.

Btw, could you modify the links so they have "dl=1" at the end? Because then we skip that dumb dropbox website.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Did a quick fix to V1.11 since sometimes the lightest colors get turned into transparency.
And yeah feel free to add this to some tool pack later whoever is interested in doing that.

FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

I FINALLY fixed the bug where PNG images don't combine and error out; V1.2 has been added to the OP.