... zelda
Nabe
Still working on AZCT
https://nabe.talkhaus.com/

Re: AZCT: A Zelda Classic Thing - Basic Planning Thread

Post by Nabe »

Nin wrote:
Nabe wrote:
Nin wrote:I seriously never view this forum. In hopes that I can push this project to completion, what has to be done?
I don't think there's too much else to be done, unless you want to just do a small cave segment (sideview). The big remaining stuff is boss coding, and some visual and audio stuff that I'm working on.

Have you used the engine before? If not, a handful of cave screens would not be too hard. But like, we're okay at this point otherwise. :)
I've never created a sideview area, but I'll try my best! I'll get it done by Friday. All I ask is for a sideview tutorial if one is avaible.
In the editor: Screen Data > S.Flags 1, check Sideview Gravity. You do that on any screen you want to make sideview. Combo 768 is a ladder combo. You'll also find all of the current sideview combos there. The first half are backdrop, the second half are solid foreground objects. You may also find the mountain combos 25 and 33 to be useful for walls and floors.

Other than that, there are also simple scripted sideview platforms, and we're capable of making complex scripted things too. If you want scripted elements like moving parts, it will be easiest if you design screens in the editor or on paper, leaving space in mind for whatever special elements you might want, then let me know what you have in mind so I can implement them.

Enemies in sideview areas are AZCT-styled enemies like the Mario enemies in Link's Awakening, and each sideview area introduces a different one. So in designing your cave, you should start by telling me some enemy types you might want to work with. I haven't gotten around to doing any of these caves yet myself, so it's somewhat likely that I'll need to implement the enemies you're looking for. Any enemy type from SMBX should be doable and fair game.

Other than that, you can do whatever you like with it. It's fairly easy to add new tiles and combos if need be. The music will be one of the cave songs from the other Thing games, so it's probably best if you keep to some kind of cave aesthetically, but not necessary.
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

CodeGorilla wrote:
Nabe wrote:@CodeGorilla, it's looking like Nimono wants to use 3. I really do think 4 and 5 has potential to be cool, though.
Sure. I didn't realize anyone else had responded to this yet. I'll see what I can do with four and five.
Hey, yo. How is this going?
CodeGorilla

Post by CodeGorilla »

Nabe wrote:
CodeGorilla wrote:
Nabe wrote:@CodeGorilla, it's looking like Nimono wants to use 3. I really do think 4 and 5 has potential to be cool, though.
Sure. I didn't realize anyone else had responded to this yet. I'll see what I can do with four and five.
Hey, yo. How is this going?
Not great. I'm struggling to come up with a good concept, and I've been busy with outside things.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Hello. So I've been using Zelda Classic for over a decade now and I'm pretty good at adapting to ideas people have. Which things do you guys still need finished?
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Franky wrote:Hello. So I've been using Zelda Classic for over a decade now and I'm pretty good at adapting to ideas people have. Which things do you guys still need finished?
You're faster than my PM. On its way now.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

So I've started the postgame Dungeon. Shouldn't take too long, as I usually wok pretty quickly in ZC. Nabe, are you able to script a post game boss or should I contact someone myself?
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Franky wrote:So I've started the postgame Dungeon. Shouldn't take too long, as I usually wok pretty quickly in ZC. Nabe, are you able to script a post game boss or should I contact someone myself?
Moosh and Lejes both have some cool bosses they did in the past for AZCT that don't have homes yet. (SPOILER, and shmuppy Touhou thing, respectively.) But if you have a specific new boss in mind, I can definitely get it done. Shoot me a PM.

Running from now 'til Canada Day!
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Happy holidays, PM me on the forums if you need me in the next couple weeks.

Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Ill send you my boss idea soon. Thinking something dark and grim reaper looking. Still working out details.
Lejes
https://lejes.talkhaus.com/

Post by Lejes »

Over a year in the making, I give you ARCHERY MINIGAME.

Well, not really a year, more like a few weeks. To be honest, I procrastinated so long that I completely forgot what the original concept was supposed to have been and can't find the original idea posts any more, so I winged it. It uses a round system like the archery mini games in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, and I'd like some input on what I've got there. Once the fundamentals have been touched up I can focus on adding the bits that integrate it into the quest, like messages, prizes, etc.

With the last posts in this thread talking about a grim reaper boss, I actually coincidentally made one of those months ago. Is Franky still looking for something like that?
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Wyvern's Cavern is going to use this arrangement of "Pictures at an Exhibition: I. Gnomus" by Modest Mussorgsky. Should work well with the "Not exactly Zelda" theme already going on with WC.

Promin Cliffs is going to use this arrangement of "Pictures at an Exhibition: IV. Bydlo Cart" by Modest Mussorgsky.

I'm adding the midi files to the levels' dropbox folders and I'll adjust them to use these midis. We may end up changing which instrument is being used - or if anyone wants to convert them to chiptune that's even better. I've added the midi files to the qsts in dropbox. I've also changed the boss room for Wyvern Cavern to have three Goriyas and an Aquamentus instead of two shooter statues, two goriyas and an Aquamentus.

Also, I remember at one point someone was making a custom boss for Promin Cliffs (level 6)? If that's not a thing anymore I can go back to the old "Patra that's vulnerable to arrows" plan. Also can someone go through Promin Cliffs and let me know if there are any major errors? I know there needs to be more abundant magic drops but beyond that I've got Creator's Blindness.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

So what's the progress on this? Haven't heard much from anyone, starting to wonder how little interest there is for this anymore... :/ Also beginning to wonder if maybe we thought TOO big for our first Zelda Classic project.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

From what I understand, we're on the world map side of things, plus we've got a bonus dungeon and final dungeon in the works (I don't have a dog in any of those races tho, so I can't give progress on them). I also need outside opinions on Promin Cliffs, plus I think we still need to replace He-Who-Wrecked-Our-Shit's dungeon.

I'd rather complete the world map and final dungeon first, then release the bonus dungeon later if we still have enough steam left to finish it.
Lejes

Post by Lejes »

The final dungeon seems like a game-in-review thing, though, and not all of the main dungeons are necessarily finalized. I don't have enough familiarity with everything we've put together so far to contribute anything to such a level, and my mapmaking/screen design skills are terrible anyway.

Promin Cliffs: I'll be honest, I'm not a fan. It's not very visually interesting, and manages to be short and easy while simultaneously kind of aggravating. There are hardly any enemies, so all of the challenge comes from falling through fake floors and needing to redo most of it. I feel like if you're going to use fall/redo as a hazard, it should be in some isolated three to five room vertical section that rewards you with a key or something, rather than being integrated into criss-crossing paths in the main dungeon.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

There are hardly any enemies, so all of the challenge comes from falling through fake floors and needing to redo most of it. I feel like if you're going to use fall/redo as a hazard, it should be in some isolated three to five room vertical section that rewards you with a key or something, rather than being integrated into criss-crossing paths in the main dungeon.
I would love to change the hell pit "difficulty" into enemy-based difficulty for a number of reasons (big one being "now we're not facing a magic shortage"), but there really aren't a lot of vanilla enemies that work well in sideview - either they're too easy to defeat because they're more predictable in their movements, or they're a lot harder to defeat because your movements are restricted.

I should take the fake floors out of the hell pit for the time being tho, because of the magic shortage thing.
Lejes

Post by Lejes »

sideview enemy pack (by Moosh)

If you have trouble getting any of these set up, I can put them all into Level 6 - Promin Cliffs.qst for you later. There's a text file, too, that explains what each enemy does.
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Hey guys, Dark Souls III is a really good game.

The Small List

The first overworld is done in the master (playable) aside from enemies on most screens, and a couple cutscenes that still aren't written.

Level 2 is in the progress of being built by a Hyrule.net IRCer named Fierce Muffin, and I'm sure it'll get done because I'll build from his paper draft if he doesn't finish it. :D He's waiting on two scripts from me as well, which someone else could write if they wanted to, pretty trivial.

Level 4 needs a custom boss. Moosh said he might do something, but I haven't heard anything since.

Level 5 has a custom boss by CodeGorilla, and he's just recovered his hard drive so we have all the scripts for that. Everything's good there. :D

The second overworld needs some enemy tweaks here and there, and about 20 more screen secrets. Anyone who wants to make a couple of those, feel free.

I've still got visual polish stuff for levels 6 and 8 in the pipeline as well as the Wand mini, it's just fallen to the back end for now. There won't be a magic shortage at the end, so definitely don't design around it. Here's a video of all of the sideview enemies in Moosh's pack so you can see them in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeZn1w5wt24

The final dungeon is much less a game-in-review thing, and moreso just a cool thing that happens to reuse themes from the game. There's one floor unaccounted for, which would have to combine themes from levels 4 and 5. So level 4 has purple, demons, dark pits, and has a lot of Vires, Wallmasters and Pols Voice. The item is the bow and arrow. Level 5 is a ruined underground town with broken houses and a sewer, and there's an air of mystery around its origins, but it's also been artificially turned into a dungeon. So you've got town, sewer, cave, mystery, artificial / fake, and it has Ghinis and Gibdos and Like-Likes. The item is the Power Glove (lifts things). Both dungeons have a lot of puzzles and secrets, too. So there's a lot to work with there, and any dungeon floor that combines SOME of those ideas into a cool new thing would be welcome.

So to summarize,
Things To Be Done
  • Enemy placement in Overworld 1*
  • Two scripts for Level 2*
  • Level 4 boss
  • Secrets in Overworld 2*
  • Polish(Levels 6, 8, Wand mini)*
  • Final dungeon floor combining themes from levels 4 and 5
(* = Things Nabe will eventually get to doing)

Playtesting would also be really cool, especially the Shield and Boomerang minidungeons. Everything (except the final dungeon) is playable through the master QST, which would be preferable to make sure it all coexists properly. The debug room is available through the ship in Speakeasy, and it's located on Map 2 in the top corner if you want to edit it to connect the debug warps to other dungeons.
CodeGorilla

Post by CodeGorilla »

Nabe wrote:
  • Level 4 boss
Any thoughts on what is desired for this?
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

CodeGorilla wrote:
Nabe wrote:
  • Level 4 boss
Any thoughts on what is desired for this?
I even have sprites! I'll shoot you a PM.

Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Lejes wrote:Over a year in the making, I give you ARCHERY MINIGAME.

Well, not really a year, more like a few weeks. To be honest, I procrastinated so long that I completely forgot what the original concept was supposed to have been and can't find the original idea posts any more, so I winged it. It uses a round system like the archery mini games in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, and I'd like some input on what I've got there. Once the fundamentals have been touched up I can focus on adding the bits that integrate it into the quest, like messages, prizes, etc.
Sorry it took so long to get around to testing this.

First score: 511
Second score: 715

It's great! It might be a bit long if someone has to replay it more than once or twice for a higher score, but it's a fun spectacle. 750 and up would definitely be attainable with Bow 2, which is currently in the latter half of AZCT.

The hitboxes on the X signs is a bit unforgiving when they're moving (rounds 10, 12) but it's not that hard to get used to.

The patterns in the later rounds are really fun, 20 was funny. I wish the signs in round 17 took a tiny bit longer to come up, and that there was a little time after they go back down to hit maybe one blue rupee? If you miss your shots at the start of it or don't notice you need to fire, it could potentially be frustrating late into the rounds, but hitting one thing would mitigate that. And round 19 seemed very short.

In terms of prizes, Quiver 2 is definitely yours. Quiver 3 is up for grabs too, but don't feel that you need to split it up into two sets of 10 rounds or something to give away both quivers, because the endgame swap fairy will give away Quiver 3 in exchange for Quiver 2. You could give away one of Bow 2 or Arrow 2 as another prize if you really want one of them, as they're both in shops at the moment. Or there could be some script item that affects arrows? And then, if you want to do a piece of heart, or a magic piece (2 per container), budgeting one for the arrow game will be fine. Lots of options.

It's in a swamp, and it's run by the brother of a flirty girl in town, although that can be changed as it's just a throwaway line. So if you want to write messages / make a storefront, that's what you have to work with.
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Bi-monthly progress update: Everything is well. The work continues.

90% of the major spriting is done. There are boss things and a couple subscreen panels to go.

All of the scripts are sharing a combined action system and playing nicely together. Sheath can now cling to ladders underwater while getting pushed by moving platforms over ice, in sideview, or could if we let her.

A floor in the final dungeon needs your help. This is the biggest unclaimed build remaining, but it's only 20-30 screens at most. You don't need to be familiar with the project to make this, it just needs to use several elements off of a large list. The details are here.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Okay, I've been clearly mishandling this for a while now. Basically taking a hands-off approach due to a lack of confidence in my own abilities to lead this. But...this has taken a ridiculously long time. I'd like to see this completed by the end of the year. December 31, 2016, no later than 11:59pm Central Time. I know we can do it if we put our minds to it.

Nabe, what else is left to be done? I know the Final Dungeon is still being crafted, what about the other dungeons? Are they complete yet? Any scripts left to make?
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Nabe wrote:The first overworld is done in the master (playable) aside from enemies on most screens, and a couple cutscenes that still aren't written. The first overworld still needs enemy placements on many screens, and 3-4 short sideview caves that connect areas.

Level 2 is in the progress of being built by a Hyrule.net IRCer named Fierce Muffin, and I'm sure it'll get done because I'll build from his paper draft if he doesn't finish it. :D He's waiting on two scripts from me as well, which someone else could write if they wanted to, pretty trivial. Level 2 is done on paper and the scripts are all good to go. I'm finishing up the tileset for the build off and on while I do enemy sprites as well.

Level 4 needs a custom boss. Moosh said he might do something, but I haven't heard anything since. CodeGorilla was going to do something for this, but that was a few months ago. The sprites are done, and the attack scripting is pretty simple.

The second overworld needs some enemy tweaks here and there, and about 20 4 or 5 more screen secrets. Anyone who wants to make a couple of those, feel free. There's also a few sideview areas needed for Overworld 2. One is a very short underwater swim between whirlpools, and another is a vertical tree-climbing section prior to Level 8. Also, a couple more short caves as connective tissue.

The final dungeon is much less a game-in-review thing, and moreso just a cool thing that happens to reuse themes from the game. There's one floor unaccounted for, which would have to combine themes from levels 4 and 5. So level 4 has purple, demons, dark pits, and has a lot of Vires, Wallmasters and Pols Voice. The item is the bow and arrow. Level 5 is a ruined underground town with broken houses and a sewer, and there's an air of mystery around its origins, but it's also been artificially turned into a dungeon. So you've got town, sewer, cave, mystery, artificial / fake, and it has Ghinis and Gibdos and Like-Likes. The item is the Power Glove (lifts things). Both dungeons have a lot of puzzles and secrets, too. So there's a lot to work with there, and any dungeon floor that combines SOME of those ideas into a cool new thing would be welcome.

So to summarize,
Things To Be Done
  • Enemy placement in Overworld 1*
  • Sideview caves
  • Level 4 boss
  • 4-5 secrets in Overworld 2*
  • Final dungeon floor combining themes from levels 4 and 5
(* = Things Nabe will eventually get to doing)

Playtesting would also be really cool, especially the Shield and Boomerang minidungeons. Everything (except the final dungeon) is playable through the master QST, which would be preferable to make sure it all coexists properly. The debug room is available through the ship in Speakeasy, and it's located on Map 2 in the top corner if you want to edit it to connect the debug warps to other dungeons.
Edits in bold. Aside from these things, there's also the final boss, which refuses to be planned or take shape aside from some old sketches Moosh and I did.
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Specifics on dungeons:

- Levels 1, 3, 4, 7 are done and very well playtested (you need to make a judgment call on the L3 boss)
- Level 5 needs a solid playtest, and very likely some minor enemy rebalancing
- Level 6 afaik is not done (raekuul) and needs visual polish besides
- Level 8 is in the process of visual polish (all planned out, 40% implemented)
- The Wand mini needs visual polish (a forest aesthetic)
- All other minis are done, but could use some playtesting (and a puzzle in Boomerang Mini floor 2 might be broken)
- The final dungeon has 3/5 floors done, and one of the unfinished floors isn't spoken for (the other is mine)
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Regarding level 6: I actually would like some outside eyes looking at it, providing suggestions. I know some of the things I need to change are in the great shaft (specifically, making it less punishing to miss a jump). If y'all are on discord give me a poke.