(shouting)

VIP and Wall and ALASKA MIX 5: It's not 99%

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
YummyCin

Re: Vip and Wall and Alaska Mix 5: It's not 99%

Post by YummyCin »

I will be extremely impressed if it can live up to a 3-year hype. isn't that pretty much the romhack equivalent of Duke Nukem?
Yum, Cinnamon!
oh woops and then it's gone.
Yikes

Post by Yikes »

I really enjoied this hack and I am glad raocow is LPing it. If he could make the whole thing save stateless, it would probably become my favourite LP ever. But the difficulty in some of the levels is just nuts. Most of the harder levels are just about learning what killed you there but there are some really unfair parts, that made me swear even with save states. But about 75-80% of the levels were fun and there were some parts where I really laughed about the craziness.

It is probably the hardest in the series and raocow: Whatever you do with this game, I hope you can enjoy it.
Gesundheit!
kilon

Post by kilon »

All I'm saying at this point is that I wouldn't mind if this is the last hack of the series.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Huh, did something happen to pukiwiki? I want to edit the OP's link to lead to the pukiwiki vip5 page instead, like they want people too, but it seems offline right now.

(edit: http://vip.rgr.jp/sm4wiki/?改造マリオの共同開発5) this is pretty much where you'd want to go, I reckon.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

And Then There Was A (Let's) Play About A Romhack

This link might be the one to watch (it explains why the download isn't working just now)
-wiki http://www18.atwiki.jp/sm4wiki_mix
-vip5 page http://www18.atwiki.jp/sm4wiki_mix/pages/83.html
dont wanna jihad no more
rubberfishy

Post by rubberfishy »

The last 5 series didn't really do it for me so I kinda stopped watching raocow's lp's admittedly, but now vip 5 is here. woop. time for raocow videos. clearly milk is perfect for school boys once more. the full moon revels in the endless sombre of the autumn nocturnal breeze of our soul.
you can't lead a mouse to water but you can make it drink. just give it some salty salty peanuts.

raocow still says things like that right?
Last edited by rubberfishy 12 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

YAAAAAAY I MUST DO A FULL RUN OF THIS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
Also I didn't know vgboy made the translation he's a pretty cool guy and i've watched his vocaloid stuff so many times it's somewhat sad
can YOU use the packet sauce?
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

VIP 5 already? I thought you were holding off for some patch revisions?
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

What does the reason say, exactly? Google translate makes it just say that basically 'there be an error but we don't know what'. Ah well.

Xirix - well, it's already version 0.3, so it's a few updates in, and I've heard enough reports of people ending the game without any bug-related problems, with seemingly everything working, that I'm confident enough to get it. Also the overworld is fancy enough that I very much doubt they'll do a complete overworld rejiggering like they did with vip 2.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

It's something like they're continuing to update for the moment so the link is disabled.

(ie, if you want vip5 just now you need to get it through the uploader not the new wiki. shhhh)
dont wanna jihad no more
raocow

Post by raocow »

Hmm.

When a new version comes out, if anyone can suss out what was changed, and if it changed anything in the levels I've already completed, I'd like to know so I can 'report' on the changes or whatnot if they are significant.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Re: VIP and Wall and ALASKA MIX 5: It's not 99%

Post by Mandew »

The VIP series is one of the most defining set of LPs for raocow's long time watchers, I think. A year ago, I really couldn't wait until VIP 5 was released.

The rest of the VIP series admittedly probably didn't age very well, but they still have their certain charm about them.
video games
LucarioPK

Post by LucarioPK »

Ah this game...sweet. I've been waiting since VIP 4!

I liked the switch palace, but nothing else really stood out.
Hi!
Test Pilot Monkey

Post by Test Pilot Monkey »

Yikes wrote:If he could make the whole thing save stateless, it would probably become my favourite LP ever.
It's been so long, I'd forgotten raocow ever used savestates. I hope this hack doesn't force him to touch them.

Also; Nice haiku, raocow :)
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

That link to download the latest version of Mix5 isn't working. I clicked the link, hit "Ver1.03", and I get a "403 Error - Forbidden" page. Or maybe I'm just stupid, which is a very likely possibility.
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

Yeah because we all know that vanilla level design is SSSSOOOOOOOO 'crappy'. You've been spoiled by fancy ExGFX and consistency raocow!

Also Hype is stupid. Did people honestly expect Carol, ping, and the the ppp guy doing asm for every level and some guy with Nintendo quality level design doing the actual stages.....psh!

Looking forward to the rest of the LP though
raocow

Post by raocow »

I still think the very first stage is really 'eh', but by the end of the video I think you can hear that I've already pretty much turned.

Ashan - read the rest of the thread!
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

This hack is still very "eh" up until about halfway through. Still though, it's nice to see it completed at last, I guess, and I'll be watching it through to the end I'm sure.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

raocow wrote: Ashan - read the rest of the thread!
At least I was right. I'm just too stupid to spend the extra minute reading the next few posts after the first one. >_>
Last edited by Ashan 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

Alex wrote:The reason is not known to very many people (save those who read the request thread); the creator of the final level disappeared off the internet for the longest while. This left the collaborators more-or-less twiddling their thumbs (for lack of a more complementory phrase).
Then the level should've been passed onto someone else. If you're going to be dead weight, then you should be cut from the project.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

^ Doesn't that technically imply that no other designer even came close to .. whoever this guy was? Surely someone (or a team of them) could have whipped up something that was around the same quality and not delayed the project by years, assuming this really was the case.

...then again, I'm sure their collaboration methods aren't really as perfect as they could be, so it's more of a shock to see that the thing actually got released in the end.
vgboy

Post by vgboy »

It looks like 1.04 may be changing the enemy names in the ending to the Japanese AA names and adding a small message on the final screen. If they do, I'll update the translation and let you know.

raocow, since you said "That's worrying!" instead of "Decisions, decisions!" (I changed it because I figured the latter sounded better), I think you might need to update your file, since a couple messages got switched around in 1.03. No levels, though.

Also, to Alex:
Not only do I not understand why you'd tell him directly instead of waiting for him to read it, they switched around the Nonsense! boxes so that the message box telling you about the ENDURANCE shortcut is in World 4 instead of World 2.
megamario

Post by megamario »

I'm excited--omg the new map screen is wonderful hack of the year
raocow

Post by raocow »

Text file updated.

Let it be known that I'm not reading anything that's in a spoiler box in this thread.
EvilBloodGnome

Post by EvilBloodGnome »

Have to say, VIP koopas are perhaps my favorite koopas.

Glad to see 'em again