(shouting)

SMBX: The Invasion 2; it's not a sequel

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
morsel/morceau

Re: SMBX: The Invasion 2; it's not a sequel

Post by morsel/morceau »

Test Pilot Monkey wrote: Just because we can only see the keyhole doesn't mean there isn't a lock there. In fact, if there wasn't a lock, Mario et al. wouldn't need a key in the first place.
If there was a lock, we would see Mario turning the key.

Your move.
dont wanna jihad no more
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Ometeotl wrote:
S.N.N. wrote:and something tells me that very few of these SMBX "hacks" are like this.
Based on what, exactly?
Probably, Sturgeon's Law.
video games
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

HarmfulGravemind wrote:I tried the editor for like 20 minutes... since I make videos of everything I do, here is a video of what I did!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dQsiPTyxNU
Wow, that is seriously the result of raw, first time dabbling?

I'm... honestly curious to see what a full-on talkhaus project would end up with, sometimes.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
rubberfishy

Post by rubberfishy »

morsel/morceau wrote:
Test Pilot Monkey wrote: Just because we can only see the keyhole doesn't mean there isn't a lock there. In fact, if there wasn't a lock, Mario et al. wouldn't need a key in the first place.

Your move.
Just because it's a lock doesn't mean it had a turning chamber. it could have a laser sensor that senses when the key is put in.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Ometeotl wrote:Based on what, exactly?
Based on several things:

-The editor is apparently even easier to use than Lunar Magic, from what I've heard. Common knowledge: easy editors = people flocking to make whatever they can and showing it off thinking it is good. Citation: YouTube hacks.
-People have stated several times that the SMBX community forums were terrible, and since it's likely such hacks would come from these members .. welp.
-Unsure of this one, but didn't someone say that The Invasion 2 is considered one of the best ones anyway? Isn't that why raocow is playing it from the get-go?

And yeah, Sturgeon's Law.
Yonowaaru

Post by Yonowaaru »

The editor is indeed a bit easier. but it still has its quirks. I have yet to figure out how to lengthen a mushroom stem. As SNN insinuated, this is probably the kind of thing youtube romhacks (well it's not romhacks in this case but y'know what I mean) would use. The music, backgrounds and foregrounds are easy to switch and you can use them all in one level. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any room for custom things.
GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Test Pilot Monkey

Post by Test Pilot Monkey »

morsel/morceau wrote:

Your move.
We don't see Mario eating the mushrooms, do we?
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

morsel/morceau wrote:I have been silent long enough; keyhole lock
I also agree.
Test Pilot Monkey wrote:We don't see Mario eating the mushrooms, do we?
Is it canon that Mario actually eats the mushrooms (now the question is, do the M&L RPGs count?) I always thought that just touching the mushroom makes Mario grow. Similarly, putting a key in a keyhole makes the keyhole grow extra-large and then disappear while taking Mario with it.
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

raocow wrote:
HarmfulGravemind wrote:I tried the editor for like 20 minutes... since I make videos of everything I do, here is a video of what I did!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dQsiPTyxNU
Wow, that is seriously the result of raw, first time dabbling?

I'm... honestly curious to see what a full-on talkhaus project would end up with, sometimes.
Yeah, the level editor is pretty staight forward. Also talking creatures is very easy to do. Same goes for hiding and showing layers.
How the map editor is, I don't know, haven't tryed that one yet but my guess is that it will work similar and also not hard to use.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

To do an upward stab like mentioned before, you must press up and hold it, then jump. You can hit blocks just out of reach, and even go through multiple breakable bricks at once. The downward stab is equivalent to the spin jump
Also Link cannot hold items (except keys and 9 fuse bombs), so what you were doing in the grass is what every Zelda player does when looking for money: cut grass and bushes, and maybe slash monsters on the side.
Finally, since Link is always 'big' he can obtain better powerups much sooner.

Though there aren't ? bricks until the castle, but Link also does what Toad and Luigi do to the coins that pop out, just with rupees.

Another thing about multi-coins blocks. They don't have timers in them. As in the real games, most multi-coin blocks expire when you knock out 10 coins and/or 10 second have passed. Here, there is no timer, and you can have up too 99 coins in one block. You'll be thankful to have Toad, Link, or Luigi when that happens. Luigi is the best though, since he knocks out ALL the coins at once.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing »

S.N.N. wrote:So is this like the TSRPR of SMBX or something?
The way I caught it was, this is a remake of a full-game demo that shows off what the engine can do. So, like, Super Demo World: Reloaded?
raocow wrote:Next LP project - the entire hunter/scorpion series in chronological order
TailsDM

Post by TailsDM »

HarmfulGravemind wrote:How the map editor is, I don't know
The map editor is actually a little harder to use, for me at least. Let's just say, trial and error is your sadistic fair-weather friend.
Trotim

Post by Trotim »

Everyone's so pessimistic about this thing, geez!

I actually design levels as a big hobby of mine (for all sorts of games, trying to get some game dev industry job e.g. I mapped for Amnesia, TF2, UT99, WC3, SC2, SC1, etc.) and I gotta say I never got into Lunar Magic. It's just not a very friendly level editor at all with all sorts of arbitrary hoops and whatnot. Sure you can learn it but I never found it worth the effort since if you really wanted to make a Mario game you can probably program it from scratch easier than trying to learn Assembly and figuring out all the limitations and mechanics of the SMW rom.

I much prefer SMBX because it puts a lot more emphasis on creative level design and the event system for example is something Lunar Magic could probably never do. Yes there aren't many good episodes for SMBX, but that's because it's obscure, not because it's a bad engine. Yes it has some bugs and limitations but it's a lot less daunting than SMW by far and levels are easier and faster to make by far as well.

It's kind of weird really that SMW rom hacking has become the standard and nobody else got very far making a Mario engine like this... and what really makes me wonder is why Nintendo never thought of making a Mario game with an official built-in editor?
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Trotim wrote:I never got into Lunar Magic. It's just not a very friendly level editor at all with all sorts of arbitrary hoops and whatnot.
What
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
McGack

Post by McGack »

I was unaware hammers instilled rage upon your face and/or voice raocow
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

@Trotim smbx isn't standard for simply the reason you mentioned, it's obscure. Hopefully this will be great exposure.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
hyreforgling

Post by hyreforgling »

Trotim wrote:I gotta say I never got into Lunar Magic. It's just not a very friendly level editor at all with all sorts of arbitrary hoops and whatnot. Sure you can learn it but I never found it worth the effort since if you really wanted to make a Mario game you can probably program it from scratch easier than trying to learn Assembly and figuring out all the limitations and mechanics of the SMW rom.
Lunar Magic is like, the most user-friendly ROM hacking tool ever. Is there something about "click and drag" that is difficult to grasp? Does pressing buttons that are clearly labelled as to what they do confuse you? Do you not understand what you see in the fully functional 'what you see is what you get' GUI? Or are you just complaining about SMW's actual limitations that have nothing to do with Lunar Magic at all? In that case, why are you singling out Lunar Magic when it's obvious that you just can't be bothered with ROM hacking?

I know for a fact that games like Starcraft 1 and 2 have official map editors packed with the game intended to be used by the public, so everything is designed to be customisable. However, with ROM hacking, obviously the game was not made to be edited, the game was made to be the game and not any other game. There's a difference between official editors and fan-made editors.

And you're saying it'd be easier to code an entire video game engine from scratch than to edit levels in Lunar Magic? I don't know what to say. If you come across a quirk in the SMW engine, then oh well, that's ROM hacking for you, and then you work around that. (Well, I suppose there are actually a lot of quirks in the SMW engine, but still.)

Adding to that last point, personally, I don't want to make my own Mario game; I want to make my own levels for an existing Mario game. There's a distinct difference there. Though I don't know if this applies to most of the SMW hacking community; most are interested in replacing all the graphics, adding in music and new gameplay mechanics and enemies and stuff, essentially to make their own game with little effort. And it takes very little effort, because Lunar Magic is incredibly easy to use, hence why it is so popular.

tl;dr what argumentable said.

Also liking the LP so far. The thing looks fun too, with some pretty well designed levels, though (in reference to the engine, not the levels) I've never been a fan of the physics and graphics of most Mario games, especially SMB3, but I guess I'm sort of alone on that one.

not sure why i posted this, but eh.
a.k.a. Forty2 on SMW Central
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Poor Yoshi, ah the fate of the sidekick booted horsedinosaur... The hammertime was really a nice touch to today's video. raocow does indeed love overpowered weapons of swinging destruction eh? I remember his usage of the Super Marisa World 'hammer orbs', and I do believe he does appreciate a handy weapon to clear out pesky moving obstacles.

On the point of romhacking: yes, you either bother doing it, or don't. How good is what you make is another thing entirely...
went
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by went »

After the recent doses of frustration, "oh great I have to play this whole thing all over again" and whatnot in the last months, this simple, easy, and really nice hack is giving Rao the spark to make happy, uplifting, funny videos that make you laugh heartly. I'm so glad you are playing this.
"Touhou is wrong" - Horikawa Otane
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

As for the "very few episodes are as good" topic, keep in mind that the other 10% is relative to the total of things that apply.

So of course once people start caring about SMBX, there's going to be more crud, but also more gems.

You have to keep in mind that the more accessible something is, the stronger force Sturgeon's Law applies to it. Heck, SMW Hacking with Lunar Magic is a prime example of that - in the distant past, you couldn't count the "Youtube Levels" on a thousand hands. SMWCentral had to instill some standards in order to put an end to the anarchy. The same could apply to SMBX, was it a little less obscure.

I'm glad that raocow is having fun with The Invasion 2, though.
video games
HarmfulGravemind

This was actually my favorite part yet. It was just awesome! :mrgreen:
Rameau's Nephew

Post by Rameau's Nephew »

The largest pickles of all may be see in the background of the above-ground(ish) area before the vault.

But my, that was an entertaining episode. raocow really seems to be enjoying this game to a degree we haven't seen for a while now, which is a refreshing change of pace after the all of the Hypers Vee and Scarlet Devil Marios and certain portions of An Super Mario Woyld Central Production and other more taxing material we've been having of late. The game itself seems to be shaping up nicely as well; we can only hope this trend continues in the later worlds as well.

Also, I'm pretty sure the A Goofy Movie automatically renders this SNN's favorite video of all time.
Trotim

Post by Trotim »

Oh the SMW hacking community that's been hacking SMW for like 5 years is defending it, finds it easy and says everyone who finds it too much of a hassle is dumb, surprise? :V
Yes Lunar Magic is by far the best rom hacking tool, but honestly? How many good SMW rom hacks are there by now, and how long did it take to make them? About ten and like a year or two each, I'd figure, and if you spend that much time on making good SMW levels, that's nice, but imo learning some programming in Flash or whatever would be more productive, no offense

It was just like, my opinion, mans

edit: basically what I'm saying is this
as a PURE level designer and non-hacker, making decent levels for SMW would be a pain for me
HarmfulGravemind

Gentleman, I give you! Multiple Speech Conversation and layer change!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5lgTLnhV_A

Btw, you can not stop Warth from shooting Bubbles, make no attempt to do so!
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Trotim wrote:Oh the SMW hacking community that's been hacking SMW for like 5 years is defending it, finds it easy and says everyone who finds it too much of a hassle is dumb, surprise? :V
Nobody is calling anyone "dumb". They're just saying when you compare it to pretty much any other editor out there, it's extremely well made, contains a very useful help file, and is overall pretty easy to understand. There is a reason why SMW hacking took off in 1999 and still remains stronger than ever today. That's not to say I disagree about SMBX though - I still hold my opinion from earlier that there are likely very few good SMBX mods (I don't want to use the term "hacks" here like some people have), but it certainly DOES allow for creativity, and there is a lot you can do with it overall.

Like you said, opinions. That's all it comes down to. Many people prefer ROM hacking to this though, it seems.