(shouting)

SMBX: The Invasion 2; it's not a sequel

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Punisher

Re: SMBX: The Invasion 2; it's not a sequel

Post by Punisher »

The singing and screen rotating made me lol.

He should do that with peach, toad, and link with the leaf/tanooki suit.
Terry von Feleday

Post by Terry von Feleday »

Trotim wrote:that's nice, but imo learning some programming in Flash or whatever would be more productive, no offense

It was just like, my opinion, mans

edit: basically what I'm saying is this
as a PURE level designer and non-hacker, making decent levels for SMW would be a pain for me
As someone who has tried both, I can attest that making your own game from scratch is much more of a hassle (and much more time consuming as well: A year or two is a normal development time for a very basic indie game or one that is built upon a premade engine, fancier ones take much longer than that) than hacking SMW even if you get into serious assembly. The main difficulty in gamemaking is creating a basic engine, while in hacks this tedious groundwork is already done for you and you can just build around it, with actual programming freedom that simple level editors like SMBX don't offer.

That said yeah I agree that LM has a few strange hoops that largely forgo user-friendlyness in favor of greater flexibility and power (I think the way exanimation changed for 1.7 is fairly exemplaric for this), but I'm not sure how much of this kind of stuff is even available in SMBX (having never worked with it).

As for flash? Honestly, I find that flash is complete garbage-- alright fine, that it isn't very good for gamemaking since it really is made for interactive animations rather than games (a distinction that only makes sense if you know how flash works). I've never tried working with Unity, maybe that's a better way to make games?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I dunno, although I never tried the smbx editor, but going from what I heard in this thread, I really like the idea of having a quick method to just mess around with enemy properties on a 'per level' basis, something I wished Lunar Magic had without having to go all dissambly-like.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
megamario

Post by megamario »

So Peach gets Bombs from the Hammer Suit, but Link's version looks like a bomb but gets sword beams?

Wha
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

Trotim wrote:Oh the SMW hacking community that's been hacking SMW for like 5 years is defending it, finds it easy and says everyone who finds it too much of a hassle is dumb, surprise? :V
The only ways that that people could find LM/SMW hacking to be a "hassle" typically fall under one of these scenarios.

- SMW hacking never interested them in the first place.
- They're impaitent and want instant results without putting efficient time and effort into it.
- They're trying to do something they don't know where to start from. (More advanced things.)
- They're tying to do something that's a limitation of SMW itself.
- They're capable of doing Mario fan games that are more advanced than the stuff you can do with SMW hacking and LM/SMW hacking would just be "holding them back".
Yes Lunar Magic is by far the best rom hacking tool, but honestly? How many good SMW rom hacks are there by now, and how long did it take to make them? About ten and like a year or two each, I'd figure,
This is a different can of worms, but it's a hell of a lot more than ten, that's for sure.
and if you spend that much time on making good SMW levels, that's nice, but imo learning some programming in Flash or whatever would be more productive, no offense
Using Flash for games is best suited for simple, arcade-like games that don't require too much time to play through. As for more "fleshed-out" games, depends on what you're trying to do, and even then, there's the matter of developing the engine all that technical nonsense that will surely take a long while to create.
It was just like, my opinion, mans
Just because something "is your opinion" doesn't mean that it's immune from any rebuttals, retorts, backlash, scrutiny and what have you. Saying something "is just your opinion" in response to what people had to say about it implies that you weren't expecting such responses.

Especially when you're on a forum about a guy that predominately LPs SMW hacks.
edit: basically what I'm saying is this
as a PURE level designer and non-hacker, making decent levels for SMW would be a pain for me
See first point.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Yeah, level design is.... exactly what you use lunar magic for? Anything other than that is kind of a hassle, but I recall being able to jump in and make levels immediately with Lunar Magic. No gimmicks or anything, so I don't really understand how you're coming to this conclusion. What's more easy than pointing and clicking?

It's no big deal, though, and I'd like to give the SMBX editor a try at some point.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

After being nagged by windows defender, which I never use, I decide to see what the hell is going on.
Funny, MBAM or Avast doesn't pick this up.
Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing »

Trotim wrote:Oh the SMW hacking community that's been hacking SMW for like 5 years is defending it, finds it easy and says everyone who finds it too much of a hassle is dumb, surprise? :V
I'm more surprised that like, two people in this thread constitutes a community! But then again, nuked forums and wikis are the comparison point, so I dunno, but as long as I have an opinion we can talk about something else 'cause it's my opinion so take it at face value because it's my opinion. :V
megamario wrote:So Peach gets Bombs from the Hammer Suit, but Link's version looks like a bomb but gets sword beams?

Wha
Actually, it's a color-swapped pendant from Link to the Past.

I mean, still Wha because Link's had hammers and bombs in other games, but pendants are shiny.
raocow wrote:Next LP project - the entire hunter/scorpion series in chronological order
Somepartsareme

Post by Somepartsareme »

I like the psyche bomb.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Why didn't you take the leaf? That doesn't officialy appear until world 4!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

RobinLSL wrote:Is it canon that Mario actually eats the mushrooms (now the question is, do the M&L RPGs count?) I always thought that just touching the mushroom makes Mario grow.
The Super Mario Bros manual (find it at replacementdocs.com) has it that the mushrooms Mario releases from blocks are denizens of the kingdom who have been imprisoned by Koopa. In their gratitude, they reward Mario with power boosts. The idea that Mario is eating these poor souls strikes me as somewhat depraved.

On the other hand
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:Since the game's set in a magical kingdom, I made the required power-up item a mushroom because you see people in folk tales wandering into forests and eating mushrooms all the time. That, in turn, led to us calling the in-game world the 'Mushroom Kingdom,' and the rest of the basic plot setup sprung from there
dont wanna jihad no more
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

No no no, your misinterpretting it. The mushroom citizens were turned into blocks. Hit them and they release a gift (red mushroom, 1up, fire flower, coins).
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Test Pilot Monkey

Post by Test Pilot Monkey »

morsel/morceau wrote:On the other hand
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:Since the game's set in a magical kingdom, I made the required power-up item a mushroom because you see people in folk tales wandering into forests and eating mushrooms all the time. That, in turn, led to us calling the in-game world the 'Mushroom Kingdom,' and the rest of the basic plot setup sprung from there
Huh, I thought it was like the "Eat Me" from Alice in Wonderland.
Sebby19 wrote:No no no, your misinterpretting it. The mushroom citizens were turned into blocks. Hit them and they release a gift (red mushroom, 1up, fire flower, coins).
And smash them into tiny pieces!
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Update: the SMBX editor is pretty much Lunar Magic, except I'm not sure I understand screen entrances/exits yet.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
TailsDM

Post by TailsDM »

Argumentable wrote:except I'm not sure I understand screen entrances/exits yet.
Don't worry, you don't have to put LM logic in here. Pipes, doors, and instant warps are handled with direct warp points.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

You can even have working potions and subspace doors, though none of the official episodes make use of it.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

TailsDM wrote:
Argumentable wrote:except I'm not sure I understand screen entrances/exits yet.
Don't worry, you don't have to put LM logic in here. Pipes, doors, and instant warps are handled with direct warp points.
Yeah I caught that much, I just must have been trying to do something a little odd. That's ok, though, it wasn't really anything serious.
Restarr

Post by Restarr »

I don't know if its all the features this game has or if it's just me but these are some of the best and most upbeat videos you put out in a while.

Actually, ever since you stopped doing SMWCP you've seemed a lot more chipper.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

So does anybody know a database where we can find a bunch of games made for the engine?
Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing »

Probably the closest thing to that would be here, which is basically an "Announce your game thing!" place, so you can't really sort it out between "finished," "in progress," and "Hey look I remade level 1-1 from Super Mario Bros."

EDIT NEVERMIND they got a complete episode collection here. S'not very deep.

That said, The obligatory Metroid and Mario crossover episode.
raocow wrote:Next LP project - the entire hunter/scorpion series in chronological order
Patashu

Post by Patashu »

Today, raocow discovered megaman 1 style ceiling zipping.
kilon

Post by kilon »

You remember how I said I wasn't looking forward to this game?
My opinion changed. The commentary helped a lot, but I also like the levels (or more the enemies and power ups within the levels) a lot.
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Hmm, i've faced that glitch before, but in the Megaton Vase Hole level, after clearing some dirt right beneath the ceiling and duck-sliding under it. Very annoying with Link as he's 'always' tall.

I didn't know you can duck-swim, that's gonna be pretty useful.
And how the hell does the feather powerup thing work with Link anyway?
went
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by went »

Wolf wrote:I didn't know you can duck-swim, that's gonna be pretty useful.
And how the hell does the feather powerup thing work with Link anyway?
No idea, but I'm thinking it can become a Roc Feather/cape, from the GB series (you know, Awakening & Oracles).
"Touhou is wrong" - Horikawa Otane
Bertrudor

Post by Bertrudor »

I'm starting to think this game might be too easy for raocow. He's nearly finished three worlds now with no trouble at all. Don't get me wrong, I love this game and I'm thoroughly enjoying the show. But this definitely isn't Super Marisa World. In the past, he has described the sort of difficulty curve he likes, and I really don't think this game comes close. Plus, he's actually really good at Mario games.

I'm not complaining. It's just something I noticed today...