(shouting)

SMBX: The Invasion 2; it's not a sequel

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
warioeagle

Re: SMBX: The Invasion 2; it's not a sequel

Post by warioeagle »

Sebby19 wrote:
warioeagle wrote:I don't think SMBX was ever fully removed from the internet.
Yes, that was already established.
Sorry, didn't read the full topic before saying that. I heard that the creator did stop, though don't know how reliable the info is on that.

I'm serious about adding to/editing SMBX for raocow's idea of making it like ASMT/A2MT if it's an idea people want to do. If this isn't the place to discuss this idea, then I'll start a new topic if someone would tell me the proper thread for such a thing.
Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing »

warioeagle wrote:I'm serious about adding to/editing SMBX for raocow's idea of making it like ASMT/A2MT if it's an idea people want to do. If this isn't the place to discuss this idea, then I'll start a new topic if someone would tell me the proper thread for such a thing.
Totally, like, wait a week or two, and see if anything happens regarding the Source Code before you start something. One of the things discussed earlier is that the editor doesn't let you change the Title Screen and certain other stuff, so it saves you a bit of trouble and you need to do, like, nothing. A person at least claiming to be redigit (OMG LIKE THERE'S NO PROOF WE NEED A BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND ALSO A BIGGER BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND ALSO A DEATH CERTIFICATE AND MORE PROOF AND A COUPLE OF GUYS COMING IN SAYING YO HE'S REAL) has already posted about how he likes the SMBX->AXMT idea, but didn't want to do that because that was before this was announced as a prank (which might also be a prank, whatever, this is beginning to get lame). So, if things have stabilized, he'll probably do something nice.
raocow wrote:Next LP project - the entire hunter/scorpion series in chronological order
O-Card
what are you doing here
Pronouns: he/el

Post by O-Card »

warioeagle wrote:I'm serious about adding to/editing SMBX for raocow's idea of making it like ASMT/A2MT if it's an idea people want to do. If this isn't the place to discuss this idea, then I'll start a new topic if someone would tell me the proper forum for such a thing.
that would be here, probably maybe
talkhaus: the singening
you must sing
MAFIA
yo yo yo play the game
Servant

Post by Servant »

Oracle of Wuffing wrote:(OMG LIKE THERE'S NO PROOF WE NEED A BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND ALSO A BIGGER BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND ALSO A DEATH CERTIFICATE AND MORE PROOF AND A COUPLE OF GUYS COMING IN SAYING YO HE'S REAL)
Hi, I'm Nintendo.

I already downloaded the CNET thing and is considering the idea of making a SMBX game, hopefully for it to be LPed by some "Youtube Superstar", but I'm not sure if I have the time or patience for it. Uh...if I do a game, how likely it is to be LPed? :?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

raocow wrote:yes, I have 7-zip
If push comes to shove, I'll zip up my Great Empire and send it to you.
freelop

Post by freelop »

As someone in the comments of todays videos mentioned, level sets made in older versions of SMBX are not compatable with later ones.

This means if AXMT was to go ahead it would be imperative to ensure that everyone had the same version.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

freelop wrote:As someone in the comments of todays videos mentioned, level sets made in older versions of SMBX are not compatable with later ones.

This means if AXMT was to go ahead it would be imperative to ensure that everyone had the same version.
How? I can easily play Invasion 1 with SMBX 1.3
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Neurario

Post by Neurario »

If I understand it correctly, it would simply seem that older levels just don't have newer features, like the auto-scroller or water. I should hope that Redigit aimed for level compatibility so that things like that wouldn't break.

For example, somebody uploaded a ZIP of SMBX with Princess Cliche, both Invasion worlds, Great Castle Adventure and the Empire one, and while I haven't tried Empire, all of the other worlds I played seemed to work just fine.
Terry von Feleday

Post by Terry von Feleday »

Well, I took a look at the SMBX graphics files and tried a few simple insertions, and it's working well so far. I have no idea why the game has to store the sprites' outlines in a different file than the rest of the sprite, but it might be some quirk in visual basic or something.

Just a question: What do we do about the stuff that has multiple versions across each of the featured games, like powerups, goombas, koopas etc.? I found the different-powerup-sprites-for-each-game-thing unnecessary and confusing so I think I'll just use the same powerups for every game, but what about enemies?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I heard that we can change enemy properties using fairly simple codes, right?

I thought that maybe it could be our change to have, like, essentially 'different' enemies, using unused ideas and stuff like that. So we could use the smb1 goomba for the 'goomba type enemy', and I dunno make a faster enemy or something with the smb3 guy, things like that. Basically, use it as an opportunity to expand.

Mind you, I'm not exactly sure what are the limits with this, or if the two 'kinds' of goombas (for example) are actually coded seperatly, or what.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Patashu

Post by Patashu »

warioeagle wrote: I know you probably don't want people working on making a SMBX game with A2MT in development, but it could be the next project. I'll see if I can find the coding to add custom blocks or contact the creator to see if he'll provide the source code if everyone wants to make a SMBX game after A2MT or a small group who aren't working on A2MT can start now/soon. I code better than I design, so that's why I'm going to try adding things if I can.
SMBX source code would make me jizz
warioeagle

Post by warioeagle »

raocow wrote:I heard that we can change enemy properties using fairly simple codes, right?

I thought that maybe it could be our change to have, like, essentially 'different' enemies, using unused ideas and stuff like that. So we could use the smb1 goomba for the 'goomba type enemy', and I dunno make a faster enemy or something with the smb3 guy, things like that. Basically, use it as an opportunity to expand.

Mind you, I'm not exactly sure what are the limits with this, or if the two 'kinds' of goombas (for example) are actually coded seperatly, or what.
Unfortunately, I don't actually know Visual Basic, so I can't say for sure what the limits are and stuff, but I do have the code and can look up how to decipher it, edit it, etc. Hopefully, after A2MT is finished, I'll know enough to give some definite answers.

I don't think it'll take me long to learn VB since I know several programming languages at least somewhat already, including java and ASM.

Edit: After reading the Editor Help included with SMBX, I think it will be easy to edit and possibly even add enemies and possibly blocks too. I'll test and come back with a definite answer as to what is possible, but it shouldn't be hard from what I can tell.

Edit 2.0: I know that you can edit NCP/enemies pretty easily, but it will only affect that level. This could be good if one person wants fast Goombas that can be jumped on, but someone else wants invincible Goombas. There's a total of 292 NPCs that can be edited. I don't know how to add new ones.

I'm thinking blocks can be done the same way, but am still testing this. I already found out that you can easily make what some hacks can't without ASM blocks. You can make a level switch from icy/swimming/etc to normal and vice versa by simply hitting one block, no extra coding needed.
nobody

Post by nobody »

Hey raocow, not sure if you were serious about installing episodes in the latest grab bag video (also not sure if I should post it here or that thread?) but it's just extracting them into the worlds subdirectory.

If you've done that already, check to see if the extraction thing didn't double up on folders by choosing extract to new folder because SMBX won't be able to recognize it that way

Like, you don't want to end up with "C:\SMBX\worlds\The Great Empire\The Great Empire\(content here)"

Also I can't remember if anyone suggested you check out the collab episode Super Talking Time Bros yet or not. I tried it after you started this thread and got maybe to cloud world ( I think world 5) and it's pretty cool actually. It's harder than The Invasion 2, but at least up until cloud world not that much more so. It's also uses the Super Mario 64 stars-unlocking-levels format instead of having a worldmap, though the actual level select map isn't really creative, just plain and functional. Oh yeah and you're (mostly) limited to Mario and Luigi.
Also gotta give props to the bonsai bill level for a good laugh
My only big complaint is the ghost house levels, some of the stars locations are outright obtusely stupid and really breaks the flow when they try to get too "clever" with them. It got bad enough I just started looking up solutions online before even trying because seriously that kind of stuff is just not fun.

It's still better than the other Mario 64-styled episode, Great Castle Adventure, though. Really didn't get into the level design in that one and I ran into a lot of stupid decisions like *mandatory* items like springboards disappearing when you go offscreen because someone had the great idea to put them in yoshi's eggs instead of just in the map itself where they'd actually stick around!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

for the record: I just got 'the great empire' to load up in the level list. The problem was in fact the archive that I downloaded originaly, the new one that punisher sent me worked seemlessly.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Hooray!

So are you going to do this, or that other thing you mentioned? Personally, I think doing two SMBX episodes back-to-back will make them sort of mesh together, instead of standing on their own.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
warioeagle

Post by warioeagle »

Sebby19 wrote:Hooray!

So are you going to do this, or that other thing you mentioned? Personally, I think doing two SMBX episodes back-to-back will make them sort of mesh together, instead of standing on their own.
It's not really back to back if you're talking about doing Great Empire after Invasion 2. He did a random week or almost a week. I think he's done hacks with only a random week between them. If I'm wrong, then just ignore this.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

raocow wrote:for the record: I just got 'the great empire' to load up in the level list. The problem was in fact the archive that I downloaded originaly, the new one that punisher sent me worked seemlessly.
Glad to be of help. :lol:
guymanguy

Smbx is back on the internet

Post by guymanguy »

Smbx is on the internet once more just...... on download.com you can get it here http://download.cnet.com/Super-Mario-Br ... ag=mncol;2
YES!. :mrgreen:
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Sebby19 wrote:Yes, that was already established.
A long time ago. It never left the internet.

What would be actually news is if it was available back on the main site. Which it isn't, at this time of posting.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
guymanguy

Post by guymanguy »

Sebby19 wrote:
Sebby19 wrote:Yes, that was already established.
A long time ago. It never left the internet.

What would be actually news is if it was available back on the main site. Which it isn't, at this time of posting.
whops :?
warioeagle

Post by warioeagle »

I found out how to make somewhat custom NPC/enemies, custom graphics, and custom music. Just wondering if I should put everything here or make a tutorial type thread for SMBX. raocow said either is fine, but I want to check with the admins and members that would use my tutorial type thing.

Also, earlier I said I would get the source code and edit the engine, but it's proving harder to understand Visual Basic than I expected. I don't think I'll try again without help or a huge demand for something really different.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I wonder why Rao doesn't just read the manual(s) that came with SMBX. It tells you everything you need right there.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Being an engine, I feel each episode should be treated as a seperate 'hack', so I made a new topic for "The Great Empire".

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2379
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica