(shouting)

SMBX: The Invasion 2; it's not a sequel

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

SMBX: The Invasion 2; it's not a sequel

Post by Sebby19 »

So raocow will be playing Super Mario Bros. X (version 1.3). It's not so much a game, but more like a game making engine for Mario. It's mainly based on SMB3, with a big influence of SMW, and minor influences from SMB 1, 2, and even 64.

SMBX comes packaged with the episode 'The Invasion 2', a remake/sequel of The Invasion 1, the old pack-in (and not worth playing). This episode is very well done, and shows off some of the things the engine can do, simply becuase the engine can do A LOT! I think raocow will enjoy playing this.

Here's the website: http://www.supermariobrothers.org/smbx/
There is a community for this, but reading the SMBX Wiki says the forums were nuked a while ago, so everyone there has to rely on live chat. And recently, the Wiki was nuked as well! I have no idea what's going on over there.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Burgers

Re: SMBX: The Invasion 2; it's not a sequel

Post by Burgers »

Cool. I've always been interested in seeing a made-from-the-ground-up platformer that successfully replicates the "Mario feel". Usually they don't have the same level of physics/momentum, or are otherwise rough around the edges. I remember the trailer for this looked pretty good, but it'll be neat to see it in live playable motion.
sasukebowser

Post by sasukebowser »

Well, the trailer has me hyped!
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Can't wait to see him fight the mother brain. Even as Link, that boss fight pissed me off.
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

This looks insanely interesting...but some of the power-up items look OPed. Oh well, it'll suit raocow's fluctuating level of skill when it comes to games. ;)
FlareDarknight

Post by FlareDarknight »

I saw the trailer and I can say that the game kinda reminds me of the "New super mario bros" for the wii.
And of course,a Mario game cannot be the same without a playable characters from other games.
I am going to try it though.I hope it's good.
&(´ー`)& #(・A・)# (*(`Д´) (('A`)) (--)]]]
Test Pilot Monkey

Post by Test Pilot Monkey »

From the trailer, the engine looks interesting. Let's see if the level design holds up.
kilon

Post by kilon »

I'm not looking forward to this, but as long as some people enjoy it, I'm fine with it.
Test Pilot Monkey

Post by Test Pilot Monkey »

After having a little play of it, the physics of Mario feel ok if a tiny bit off. The physics of thrown objects are more off. The level design isn't too bad in the early stages.
peteyboo

Post by peteyboo »

I'm sure this was your goal, but damn you for making me think of TV Tropes right when I see the title. XD
nobody

Post by nobody »

The stuff about the non-mario characters not taking advantage of powerups isn't really all that true anymore, I guess sometime between whatever version I originally played and 1.3 they made most or all of them work. Link's flying animation is pretty great.

The non-marioluigi's might not be able to use either of the rideable powerups (like yoshi), though, I can't remember.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I think that the only things Peach, Toad, and Link can't take advantage of is the Yoshis. Instead a heart container that refills your health appears out of Yoshi eggs.

Throwing items around is a little off, though you can angle them up like the fireballs by moving and holding up. It's still a little ackward since if you stop moving the item goes straight up.
Just always throw a fireball after you throw a koopa shell. I can best describe throwing shells as 'violent'.

Mushrooms moved in the opposite direction you faced in SMB3? i did not know that. I still hated that feature.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Rameau's Nephew

Post by Rameau's Nephew »

I think it actually moves in the direction opposite of the side of the block you hit, rather than the opposite of Mario's own direction, if my dim memories of the "Physics of Falling Mushrooms" section in the old Nintendo Power SMB3 player's guide serve me correctly. In any case, the safest response was usually to jump up on top of e block before it had finished emerging.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Well, in SMBX, it definitely moves in the way I described above.
peteyboo wrote:I'm sure this was your goal, but damn you for making me think of TV Tropes right when I see the title. XD
Really? Not my intention, but I'll take that as a compliment! I do frequent Tv Tropes however.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

It seems like the recurring problem with most Mario fangames is in fact the physics. Most of the time, these "from the ground up" designers get most aspects right, but the physics just feel clunky and horrible. That Super Mario 63 (?) game was a really good example of this.

Looking forward to more of this one though, seeing as how I've never really played it.
peteyboo

Post by peteyboo »

Sebby19 wrote:Well, in SMBX, it definitely moves in the way I described above.
peteyboo wrote:I'm sure this was your goal, but damn you for making me think of TV Tropes right when I see the title. XD
Really? Not my intention, but I'll take that as a compliment! I do frequent Tv Tropes however.
Whoops sorry I meant raocow and his video title. I keep forgetting that he doesn't actually make the topics. But hey, a fellow Troper is always good to see.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Awesome, raocow is playing this game. I am personally glad that raocow is playing this game. This is my only post on this topic, if in any part of his video series you personally for some reason want to know what I think of his LP, look back to this solitary post.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
nobody

Post by nobody »

Too bad the official community was apparently so horrible that the SMBX project was abandoned and the forums and wiki were nuked.

One thing I'm sorta interested in is how much an experienced rom-hack player would appreciate something equally creative and awesome made on this engine in direct contrast to something similar done in a romhack. Maybe it's just me and because I don't really play romhacks, only watch videos of them, but they always seem to have an enjoyably impressive aspect that someone is doing something with them that was never ever meant to be done. In SMBX, does the fact that making content on an engine that was always intended to be super simple to make and test levels on give the creations any lesser value or enjoyment?

While The Invasion 2 and The Princess Cliche were quite good (and apparently The Great Empire too but I haven't played that one, and i hated The Great Castle Adventure), they weren't anything stellar or super-creative with their level design and visual styles... so I guess with the current releases you really can't have any direct contrasts between romhacks and SMBX, but even ignoring stuff like physics differences, comparing the appreciation aspect of the two just seems like an interesting issue to me.
RealLink

Post by RealLink »

I find the physics in this game quite good. Better than a lot of other Mario Fangames that I played. Maybe it takes some time to get used to it, especially when you play Mario World a lot where you control smoother than in SMB3. I don't remember having problems. Maybe some hitbox issues, but that's it.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

nobody wrote:Too bad the official community was apparently so horrible that the SMBX project was abandoned and the forums and wiki were nuked.

One thing I'm sorta interested in is how much an experienced rom-hack player would appreciate something equally creative and awesome made on this engine in direct contrast to something similar done in a romhack. Maybe it's just me and because I don't really play romhacks, only watch videos of them, but they always seem to have an enjoyably impressive aspect that someone is doing something with them that was never ever meant to be done. In SMBX, does the fact that making content on an engine that was always intended to be super simple to make and test levels on give the creations any lesser value or enjoyment?

While The Invasion 2 and The Princess Cliche were quite good (and apparently The Great Empire too but I haven't played that one, and i hated The Great Castle Adventure), they weren't anything stellar or super-creative with their level design and visual styles... so I guess with the current releases you really can't have any direct contrasts between romhacks and SMBX, but even ignoring stuff like physics differences, comparing the appreciation aspect of the two just seems like an interesting issue to me.

The result, and that is an idea that I like A LOT, is that focus becomes placed entirely on level design itself, and not as much the technical aspects. In other words, the importance of level design is much, much stronger.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

If there's one thing about SMBX that I would praise, it would be the good level design. Even the simple stuff feels pretty cool and I can't think of any levels offhand that felt horrible. Of course, I haven't played it in a while, but there wasn't any level I can remember where I went "ugh this shit is horrible how can I cheat to get by it"
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

And then it ultimately boils down to "limitations". With your own engine, you can literally do whatever you want with it, which means your levels can pretty much be as creative as you can get them. With ROM hacking, it really comes down to how much you can do within a certain limit (and, as we've seen, this inhibits creativity in many cases). I generally have more respect for fan games where the engine is coded from the bottom up (see: VVVVVV, for a non-Mario example), but at the same time I am able to appreciate the effort people put into making their ROM hack stand out - especially those who will push SMW to its limits.

..I'm not sure what I'm trying to get at here, but I'm sure you can find a point if you dig in that paragraph enough!
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

So, raocow said he'd try mario only because of the wide range of powerups. I'm gonna have to stop him there. As of the latest update, all powerups work with everybody, including Link. Peach and Toad, to my knowledge, can ride Yoshis, too.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

So did you not read the other posts pointing that out, or...?
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

Oh man, SMBX.

It's been a long time since I've played that.