(shouting)

Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Performance Edition

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Phreatic Edition

Post by raocow »

welp.

there's a puzzle I can't quite get right in the next level, but don't worry I found a raocow way.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

So what is that "raocow way" supposed to be, going into the other level branch on the overworld or is it something else?
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I guess

flower reserve plus shell jump.

dont wanna jihad no more
Ryrir

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Puberty Edition

Post by Ryrir »

In case raocow (or anyone else) is interested in how you're actually supposed to solve the puzzle, here's one possible solution:

1) grab the green shell from the beginning to get one of the two mushrooms
2) go over the roof
3) break the turnblocks on the left to clear the path to the yoshi, grab the red shell from the blue kicking guy and get the second mushroom
4) feed the yoshi and get yourself shrunk
5) grab the p-switch and deposit it somewhere safe, then go left and right again to respawn everything - this time you follow the shell to the right and make sure it hits the yellow questionmark block, turning it into a brown block
6) go above the roof again, grab yoshi and a key from the left side of the ceiling (deposit the key somewhere save)
7) go back to the start, grab the green shell again, put it in yoshi's mouth and go over the roof again
8) spit the green shell against the wall to make yoshi run (he will run down the chute and over the munchers to the right, he'll end up in the ditch near the brown block that you activated earlier)
9) place the key in the hole with the munchers, grab the p-switch and run across
10) use the p-switch to get access to yoshi, which you can use to get the two fireflowers. There's even a yellow tape there so you can get yourself shrunk with a flower in the reserve box.

not that complicated at all, you just run around the level a lot

I'm also 99% sure that the skip with the shelljump is intentional
Last edited by Ryrir 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
this is getting laundromatic
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

So what raocow was missing was an unseeable key above the far left ceiling. This hack's fascination with visibility gimmicks rears its ugly head again.

Separately, was it really necessary for the level to "reward" the player by showing off a blue block person threatening to molest a pink block person?
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Voltgloss wrote: 7 years ago So what raocow was missing was an unseeable key above the far left ceiling. This hack's fascination with visibility gimmicks rears its ugly head again.
well to be fair, going from "I can go over the ceiling to the right" to " hmm, maybe I can also go over the ceiling to the left??" doesn't exactly require a mastermind
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

It's inconceivable that those skips weren't intended, so this wasn't a raocovian solution at all; I was hoping for something crazy such as flying under the level with a disco shell. Incidentally, the disco shell is not a red herring: you can spawn the first mushroom with it and then walk that mushroom around without collecting it as you respawn the green shell, and then collect both mushrooms outside of the filter and proceed much as ryrir explains.
dont wanna jihad no more
hanayamata

Post by hanayamata »

Last edited by hanayamata 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

rule of thumb for future puzzle levels: if it feels awkward to pull off, it is almost never intended (unless it's a kaizo-puzzle or glitch-puzzle, but clearly this level isnt). basically if the execution part of the puzzle is annoying, then you just havent found the right solution. this is almost always the case. it's an unfortunate case when breaks are easier to find than the intended soltution, but harder to execute, because it gives the wrong impression of the puzzle. like "oh that puzzle was really finicky and annoying" when it actuality it was only like that because of the break. this is why break-proofing is so important, but sadly it's almost impossible because you can do almost anything in this engine, and it's never clear whether an obscure mechanic is common knowledge or not to the author.
Super Maks 64

Post by Super Maks 64 »

The cave level with tides had some neat choconilla aesthetics, but the custom layer 3 moves slower than the current making it look slightly weird. Not being able to see the shell, which could lead you to burning it without knowing is unfortunate.

The Slope cave for me has TERRIBLE graphic clash (seriously why would you mix SMB, SMB2, SMB3, YI and Vanilla SMW on many different graphical elements.BTW the coins are normal in tile form, but SMB3 ones in sprite form.). Using Buzzy Beetles in the beginning was neat, but I dislike the usage of Swooper ceiling, because I feel using it in a level is cheap, but that's just my opinion.

So a puzzle level that you can "rape" huh.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if raocow let the shell hit the Question Mark Block he would be able to get the Fire Flowers using his method (except without taking the switch through Munchers), right?
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

the two ? blocks in the first half always give you a mushroom, regardless of your powerup state.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I like the idea of the intentionally breakable puzzle, but using a rape joke to signify that is... jeez.
Woman: Kyaaa! Stop it!

Man: Guehehehehehe~

Woman: Noo! Help!!
Crudeness is part of the experience of these hacks... but...
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Pastry Edition

Post by Voltgloss »

oh hey check it yet another decreased visibility gimmick who'd have thunk it

Thankfully the donut level looked fun and interesting.
hanayamata

Post by hanayamata »

Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Nice caps; it means that the hyperlinks don't work. I find this highly amusing.

Oh man, I sure love a level without powerups...! But seriously, why do people do this? Levels without powerups were from the age of the original SMB, and I don't always appreciate them. The concept was really cool, though. Just would have been better with a powerup box or three in there.

The athletic doughnut level was good, though I wouldn't enjoy it quite as much, simply because flying koopas are my bane, especially the high bouncing ones.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Super Maks 64

Post by Super Maks 64 »

the first half of the paint level was fine, you had time to check out where you can be safe. when i first saw the second part i thought it's just going to be the first half, but you can't take as much time as in the first half, because there's an autoscroll with spikes, but no it just turned into an autoscroll with a generator (which isn't the best thing in a normal level)and the level gimmick (and slightly invisible eeries too i guess).i think it would be much better without the generator or it could just have normally spawned eeries.

the second level was a decent donut block level with autoscroll.

also do i have to get out, because i didn't use caps lock and big letters at all?
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?

Post by ztarwuff »

Was that really an Eerie generator in the Mario Paint level? It looked like the Eeries were placed, because I kept seeing the same pattern of Eeries at the same locations.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

It was definitely a generator because the Eeries were being spawned from both sides of the screen and at vertical positions that don't line up with the tile grid of the level. As for why the positions were the same sometimes, I think generators are semi-seeded. Restarting from a midpoint in an autoscroller might produce the same pattern of eeries on occasion. I'm not positive about this but I feel like I've read this topic before.
raocow

Post by raocow »

the 'random' generators for eeries and sideways bulletbill are affected by your relative hight and momemtum on the screen, I think. Like if you play a level exactly the same all the time, they will always appear at the same places, more or less.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

おもた〜い!アスレチック (HEAVY athletic) - Diddy Kong Racing - Spaceport Alpha

I'm totally trying to be that person from QubicTom's JUMP LP.

... actually, I sorta may try to do this, look forward to seeing a huge post with all tracks that have been played before after figuring them out.
Super Maks 64

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Prehensorial Edition

Post by Super Maks 64 »

I think this level was too precise. Like even at the beginning you've got 1 tile jumps with the gimmick above a pit, there are many Bullet Bill jumps, and having to throw a P-Switch at a single On/Off block but I guess a most of it can be avoided by throwing the item upwards. The secret exit was just doing the second part again with a different item and a different switch setup.

The storage doesn't seem that impressive as you can get most of the stuff that's there easily except for the Yellow Yoshi, but I don't know how many levels were tested with Yoshi or allow you to enter it with him.

Also the Posion Mushroom in the Storage makes so much sense.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Today's level and tomorrow's level are pretty rad

I always like levels that change their layouts depending whether or not a switch is pressed. It's harder to pull off than you'd think, and in this case it feels like you're almost playing an entirely different sublevel all of a sudden. It's neat.
hanayamata

Post by hanayamata »

Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

So, here goes nothing. I decided to use the translations provided in raocow's description to make things easier to search (as opposed to trying to translate those things myself). This post is in style of posts made in QubicTom's thread, in case you are interested what themes levels do use.

Title Screen - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U - Menu
1-1 Lakeshore Trail (こはんのさんぽみち) / 1-4' Boing Boing Sweets! (ぴょんぴょんスイーツ!) - Super Mario 3D World - Super Bell Hill
1-2 The Valley Where the Ghosts Reside (おばけのすむ たに) - Ragnarok Online - Dancing Christmas in the 13th Month
1-3 Book House (としょやしき) (dirty book) - Final Fantasy IV - Dancing Calcobrena
1-4 This Stage (このステージ) / World 2 Map Theme - Final Fantasy VI - Searching for Friends
1-5 EXPRESS (EXPRESS) - Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 - Train Stage
1-6' R Lake (Rの海) - Mega Man & Bass - Pirate Man
1-7' Submerged Castle (サブマージキャッスル) - Fatal Fury 3 - No.1 from Pandora's Box "Encounter"
Special World Map Theme - Earthbound - Moonside
2-2 Watch Out! Underground Exploration (あぶない! ちかたんさく) (moving platform room) - Cave Story - Running Hell
2-4 Switching Factory (スイッチング・ファクトリー) - Donkey Kong Country - Fear Factory
2-5 THE SKY (THE SKY) - Real Bout Fatal Fury Special - It's Seoul
2-3' I Bought New Support Beams! (つっかえぼう を かうました) - Appleseed: Prometheus no Shintaku - Gaia
2-5' Recycling (リサイクル) - Touhou 3: Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream - Reincarnation
2-7 The Castle of Ice! (KO-RI NO OSHIRO!) - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong-Quest (SNES) - In a Snow-Bound Land
3-3 The Cave of Many Slopes (しゃめんのおおい どうくつ) - Ragnarok Online - Rag All Night Long
3-4' "It's Too Heavy!" Athletic (おもた〜い!アスレチック) - Diddy Kong Racing - Spaceport Alpha
3-5' (?) The Forest of the Baby Yoshies (チビヨッシーの森) - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

I'm pretty sure I missed something? Also, wow, some of those are sure obscure.

The baby Yoshi level was quite cute, although it was jank.
Last edited by Sugar 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
Ryrir

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Parorexia Edition

Post by Ryrir »

Oh neat! I'll add your post to the OP as well.

Today's level was just hilarious. So much work for such a silly thing... I love it