(shouting)

Psychonauts - end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Re: Psychonauts - Obsessive-Compulsive Rubix™ Cube

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Jeez, I hope raocow never has to hire a boat in real life.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

To be fair, raocow didn't end up having to get a boat from the boathouse. The game just puts him on the exact same boat he had been trying to use for the previous five minutes, but Raz, apparently more strongly possessed by pride in his abilities and accomplishments than by the urgency of his situation, forgets he is in a hurry and refuses to use it until he can show off his new merit badge to someone.

Between Cruller trying to recruit Raz to the League of Janitors a few episodes ago, this new pyrokinetic power Raz is so psyched about, and Raz's general optimism and enthusiasm about the very obviously shady things going on around the camp, I think he's slowly turning into Jumbo Rezcow.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

kitikami wrote:Between Cruller trying to recruit Raz to the League of Janitors a few episodes ago, this new pyrokinetic power Raz is so psyched about, and Raz's general optimism and enthusiasm about the very obviously shady things going on around the camp, I think he's slowly turning into Jumbo Rezcow.
oh no it's razcow
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

This is the funkiest LP of Superman 64 that I've ever seen!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
went
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Psychonauts - DFID (Disco Fever Induced Depression)

Post by went »

cough cough buy the duster when you finish the level I mean what
"Touhou is wrong" - Horikawa Otane
Dark_Paratroopa

Post by Dark_Paratroopa »

I'd say the dowsing rod is the most important first purchase.

raocow, I know you're not 100%ing this run, but you really should look around in Milla's dream a while longer. There's something pretty big that you missed in one of the areas before the race and it would be a shame if you didn't show it during the LP.
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

"raocow did not expect this", the level.

Though I will admit it is pretty hard to predict just what the hell Psychonauts is when first going in.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

went wrote:cough cough buy the duster when you finish the level I mean what
taking bets on how many more episodes until he buys it.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

If anything raocow, don't look at the youtube comments at this point. Cuz' spoilers AHOY

heck this thread could possibly fall into that category too sooo yeah
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

he needs to buy the dowsing rod first, not the cobweb duster, sheesh :P

also, that slide is the #1 reason why 100%ing this game is a bit of a waste of time. uhh. it's really tedious to get every last figment there. reeeeally tedious.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Milla's Dance Party is one of those big reasons why 100% figments is such a huge pain. They blend in *very* well with that neon light show, and heaven help you if you try to get all of them on the race course. There's no penalty if you lose, and you don't have to get *all* of them in one go, but it's still crazy.

Then, it doesn't help that this trope is in full effect for raocow, as a near constant in all his LPs. :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Blue

Post by Blue »

raocow, you're breaking my heart. Please stop doing that.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Look, it's a given that LPers are going to be less attentive than the average player -- they're concerned with keeping the pace up, keeping an audience entertained. That's going to lead to suboptimal "relax and poke around" play in a game that wants that.

Luckily, Psychonauts is a game that already expects you to brush through its levels missing half of what there is, then explore more thoroughly later. That works amazingly with raocow's LP style. He'll probably be back here someday, making extensive cuts and showcasing the points where he finds something interesting.

If we honestly looked back through time, I bet most of you stressing about things raocow is missing ALSO missed them the first time you played this level. It's frustrating to see him miss stuff (believe me, I know.

I saw him not even attempting to punch near all the punchable terrain in the Brain Tumbler Experiment, and felt real pain. He really won't experiment with anything ever. His modus operandi is "only try something new if you're stuck and you've tried your first idea twenty times", whereas mine is "try everything you can think of once before you try anything a second time"

). But it's fine. This is a great game, in part because it's prepared to handle any level of engagement and still result in a fun experience.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Ditocoaf wrote:Look, it's a given that LPers are going to be less attentive than the average player -- they're concerned with keeping the pace up, keeping an audience entertained. That's going to lead to suboptimal "relax and poke around" play in a game that wants that.

Luckily, Psychonauts is a game that already expects you to brush through its levels missing half of what there is, then explore more thoroughly later. That works amazingly with raocow's LP style. He'll probably be back here someday, making extensive cuts and showcasing the points where he finds something interesting.

If we honestly looked back through time, I bet most of you stressing about things raocow is missing ALSO missed them the first time you played this level. It's frustrating to see him miss stuff (believe me, I know.

I saw him not even attempting to punch near all the punchable terrain in the Brain Tumbler Experiment, and felt real pain. He really won't experiment with anything ever. His modus operandi is "only try something new if you're stuck and you've tried your first idea twenty times", whereas mine is "try everything you can think of once before you try anything a second time"

). But it's fine. This is a great game, in part because it's prepared to handle any level of engagement and still result in a fun experience.
that's a lotta nice words but i still want to see raocow find that thing because his reaction will probably be my favorite part of the lp
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Blue wrote:that's a lotta nice words but i still want to see raocow find that thing because his reaction will probably be my favorite part of the lp
Yeah, and I'm saying that it's fine if he misses it the first time because he'll almost certainly re-explore this level

and find it. So there's no reason for everyone to clamor and whisper and nudge him to find it as soon as possible. Stuff like this is more fun when he finds it naturally as a surprise, less fun if it's a matter of "well, everyone kept saying there's a crazy thing here, I guess I'll see what the crazy thing is")

YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

To be completely fair, my first time through that stage, I missed

"that thing"

, even knowing it was there. It's not exactly obvious.

Moists:

tirakai

Post by tirakai »

"Maybe I should try jumping over it? Oh, it didn't work... maybe I should try jumping over it? Oh, it didn't work... maybe I should try jumping over it? Oh, it didn't work... maybe I should try jumping over it?"

I swear, raocow has the memory of a fish sometimes.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

tirakai wrote:"Maybe I should try jumping over it? Oh, it didn't work... maybe I should try jumping over it? Oh, it didn't work... maybe I should try jumping over it? Oh, it didn't work... maybe I should try jumping over it?"

I swear, raocow has the memory of a fish sometimes.
It's not that he has a bad memory. He just has a bad habit of trying non-working methods multiple times before finally trying something new. (Though admittedly, he'll occasionally *succeed* with his "keep trying the same thing over and over" strategy. So.)

Moists:

Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Parama wrote:i'm just prepared for every other video to include a long sequence of raocow completely not getting something obvious
like clockwork
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

You know, cinematically, that was a great cliff hanger to end on.

"...transported to an arena. The foe is revealed: A menacing, brain powered tank! The hero, dives for cover against a structure. While thinking about his next move, one of the further structures is blown to smithereens. The hero only sees the debris scatter from the side.
Suddenly, the tank bursts through his hiding spot! The hero is sent flying..."
Tune in next time...
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

The "Disco Party, but without the Kamikaze Koopas" level introduced some really neat platforming and I'm looking forward to what other stuff there will be in the future.
Also looks like raocow encountered the first boss of the game, and it's a brain powered tank... this game is really rad so far.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Super Maks 64 wrote:looks like raocow encountered the first boss of the game
Mega Censor was the first boss, it was just kind of a pushover because raocow almost automatically sought out the censor vents and took them out first.
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

BobisOnlyBob wrote:
Super Maks 64 wrote:looks like raocow encountered the first boss of the game
Mega Censor was the first boss, it was just kind of a pushover because raocow almost automatically sought out the censor vents and took them out first.
I'm sorry, I forgot about the Mega Censor, well I hope this one is more interesting.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I prefer raocow's explanation for why Raz's dad hates psychics.

It would be pretty amazing if raocow uploaded a new B-side this evening and just left this LP hanging Sopranos-style with the end of last night's video.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

It IS a good cliff-hanger.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000