(shouting)

Dust: An Elysian Tail - The Adventures of Sasuke and his Anime Figure Collection

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Re: Dust: An Elysian Tail - The Adventures of Sasuke and his Anime Figure Collection

Post by Xirix »

It's okay guys, raocow just needs to do a few screens of crazy aerial-combo combat, get a couple levels, and stick them in the secret 'Patience' stat. :P

That said the whole mass skipping of text 'did' annoy me a little in that episode, also geez does Windows 10 still not have a way of telling it to not do shit at inconvenient times? You did a good job fixing it up at least raocow, I didn't notice any desync and there was only like 3 noticable bits of slowdown.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: Dust: An Elysian Tail - The Adventures of Sasuke and his Anime Figure Collection

Post by Alice »

NegativeZeroZ wrote:I get that it's annoying when an LPer makes your favorite game look bad, but you're treating this like it's the special olympics and raocow is mooning the audience. If raocow doesn't like part of the game (tedious Blomb-filled level design, too much text) he shouldn't have to force enthusiasm and pretend these issues don't exist, like you're apparently accusing the Talkhausers of doing in this thread. I remember vaguely liking this game more than I expected when I played it, and wondering why no one nagged me to play it, but it's far from perfect
My criticisms were far more wide-ranging than raocow simply not liking something though. That discussion is fairly well concluded now anyways though so there's not really any need to continue it.
Also it's pretty typical for views to drop off dramatically after Part 1, that's why the biggest gaming channels never finish ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You're misunderstanding what I was saying. I'm aware of that fact. The important stuff was where I compared Dust to Hyper Light Drifter as well as the comparison of views between Dust episodes and the VLDC9 videos. Even taking into account that series tend to get a lot less views after the first episode and that B-sides get fewer views than the A-sides it seems unusually low in Dust's case.
Xirix wrote:also geez does Windows 10 still not have a way of telling it to not do shit at inconvenient times? You did a good job fixing it up at least raocow, I didn't notice any desync and there was only like 3 noticable bits of slowdown.
It still doesn't really. If you have Windows 10 Pro you can use the group policy editor to change it up some but if you're on Home you're basically totally screwed. And despite the fact that Windows 10 is supposed to pick times where the computer is inactive as well as always giving you a notice allowing you to delay the updates if necessary, for a lot of people it doesn't reliably pick good times at all and for plenty it also rarely, if ever, gives the notices for delaying updates.
Grey V

Post by Grey V »

So yeah, thought I'd say I'm really enjoying this series. Pretty gratifying as well since, I'll admit I played and enjoyed this (for all the foibles it can admittedly have), and it's cool seeing raocow enjoy as well -- that sheer mania of mania of combat is a delight to behold, and while he does talk over some of the story a bit, I don't blame him for it -- he gives the characters time to speak usually, and that's pretty cool. The "brooding weeb" Dust is a rather amusing interpretation as well. He might not be playing game the most "efficiently" with the crafting and all that, but over all he's played very solidly, he certainly hasn't suffered the number of deaths I had during my play through to this point.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Alice wrote:You're misunderstanding what I was saying. I'm aware of that fact. The important stuff was where I compared Dust to Hyper Light Drifter as well as the comparison of views between Dust episodes and the VLDC9 videos. Even taking into account that series tend to get a lot less views after the first episode and that B-sides get fewer views than the A-sides it seems unusually low in Dust's case.
You said yourself that the largest gap in views is between HLD's and Dust's *first* video. Almost 750 fewer people started to watch Dust than did start to watch HLD. That can't be attributed to raocow's playstyle. Instead, that's the result of all of those people deciding they didn't want to watch an LP of Dust - regardless of how raocow was going to approach it.

If Dust started with a similar audience size than did HLD, and then fell off more dramatically, then your apparent implication that raocow's playstyle is driving away viewers would have more support. But the numbers don't actually support that. They instead support the idea that a lot more people wrote off Dust from the get-go than viewers did for HLD.

Put another way: I think viewership for Dust is comparatively low, not because of how raocow's playing it, but because of people forming negative first impressions based solely on what they can see "on the cover" - such as art style and character design.

Or, to be overly blunt: A lot of folks likely wrote it off out of hand because they saw it, pejoratively, as a "furry game." I'm not saying they're right to have done so. But I think it's what likely happened.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

And funnily enough, this series has been winning me over as it's gone on. I've been thinking about picking the game up the past couple of days because of it. The combat looks fun, and there's been enough variety in gameplay as you're traversing the map that I think I'd enjoy it.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

One of the rings raocow sold expands your ring of light somewhat when you are in a dark room. It's still not enough to really see what you are doing in that room with the red mushrooms, but it does help a bit. I think there is another one in a chest hidden in that room somewhere.

There are also other bonuses that equipment can give other than just raw stat bonuses, so it would be a good idea to check the item description before selling anything and not just relying on how it affects your stats. Also, there is equipment that gives multiplier bonuses, like 1.1x attack instead of +10 attack, which gets better as your stats increase. So something that reduces your stats now could end up raising them later.

Equipment bonus spoilers: [ispoiler]Endgame with 3x Fidget rings on each hand plus ~1.5x Fidget each on your pendant and augment is pure Boki-esque madness[/ispoiler]

I never figured out that the blue pollen heals you in those caves. I just assumed anything those plants spit out should be avoided, and for all the times I got hit by the red poison, I never ended up failing to avoid a blue one.
Money

Post by Money »

I've got relatively little to add to this conversation besides "no need to be a dick to raocow b/c he's not playing the game the way you want/doesn't excel at paying attention to details". Like, you should know raocow by now that given the option, he's one to button mash through combat, and that missing details is a fairly recurring theme in his lps. Taking low blows at him by accusing him of purposefully not trying at the game or saying things like "You'd think that someone who literally does this as their job might put a smidgen more effort into it" is, no other way to put it, an absolute dick move.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Unrelated to most of the conversation:

Just uninstall Windows 10 and put 7 back. Maybe dual-boot if 10 is that necessary. It's just awful.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

raocow should find some way to change the scheduling of those updates. The way I set it up, it usually only updates when I turn off the PC at night, or over night if I forget to turn it off completely and let it 'sleep'. (and there was one time it turned itself on in the middle of night)

Looks like Fidget is mega-maning the abilities of the bosses.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

splash woman has seen better days
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

raocow, you really ought to be more careful with where you drop your bons mots; I was enjoying a fine repast as you revealed Dust's plan for keeping the snow cold on his way back from the mountains, and I very nearly choked to death. Please remember to keep the safety of your audience in mind!
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I think that new armor the shop guy was selling would up the damage of Fidget's electricity barf. Then again, enemies die pretty easily in this game, so it's pretty unneeded.

But, chain lightning attacks?
HECK YES!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

No spoilers for me or anything, but I really hope I hear that "Dust to Dust" line if there's another boss that gets killed. I thought that was the corniest but neat thing earlier when raocow took down that Fuse dude.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

That's odd. I've never been attacked at that particular save point. raocow must have been unlucky.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

There are at least a few save points you can get immediately attacked at. Maybe any save point with enemies in the general vicinity if it's random.

Fidget really does grow on you.
Money

Post by Money »

Man it's weird that the writing seems to legitimately be getting better as the game goes along. Kinda goes against the idea of giving a strong first impression, but eh.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Bean wrote:No spoilers for me or anything, but I really hope I hear that "Dust to Dust" line if there's another boss that gets killed. I thought that was the corniest but neat thing earlier when raocow took down that Fuse dude.
There's already been another boss recorded, and

no Dust to Dust

3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I guess this will be finished in 28 videos, 30 at most.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

@raocow the merchant does sell extra keys; but only 4. you do need to buy at least 2 keys i believe.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Sure are a lot of twees in that thar meadow.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

congrats on buying 20 beast leathers while not realizing it was a completely different item than the one you needed
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

well maybe Dust wants to get into leatherwork. a new hobby would be healthy for that boy!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Mikkofier »

Ivy wrote:
Bean wrote:No spoilers for me or anything, but I really hope I hear that "Dust to Dust" line if there's another boss that gets killed. I thought that was the corniest but neat thing earlier when raocow took down that Fuse dude.
There's already been another boss recorded, and

no Dust to Dust

Except

Lady was not killed

, so there's still hope!
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Mikkofier wrote: Except

Lady was not killed

, so there's still hope!
True but now what of

evil knife hands

which was technically a boss...?
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Oh christ the evil knife hand thing, I remember that being annoying as hell to fight on the hardest difficulty.