(shouting)

Dust: An Elysian Tail - The Adventures of Sasuke and his Anime Figure Collection

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: Dust: An Elysian Tail - Yes, the game's name is a pun

Post by Grounder »

OwO whats this?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

...I figured out the naming gimmick immediately, and I think you actually chose the exact same one as Shagg did in his playthrough of this a few years back. EDIT: Just the exact same first title. The naming gimmicks do diverge from here on out.

It's a wonderful game, too... I think we can all enjoy this. I estimate it'll take less than a month. Distorted Travesty 3 is a good comparison, except I feel this is going to be better overall. Please don't spoil this game here in the thread... this in particular should remain a blind playthrough.
Last edited by Zephyr_DragonLord 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I played this game back in November, got to the last area, started a new game to get an achievement, and then overwrote my old game in error. Turns out autosaving is a slot of its own and I learned that the hard way (re: I'm an idiot), so I've never seen the last hour of the game. Bummer - I'll have to play through it again one day.

Moping aside, Dust is awesome and it's going to be a blast to watch. Tons of charm and all-around fun to play.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Video looks good technically btw raocow, I think you're good. Also I initially was iffy about Fidget's voice, but she grows on you.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

I tried this game a few months ago, but I bounced off it after a few hours due to the extremely repetitive combat and grindy/MMO style gameplay design. The visuals are gorgeous though. I'll give the game that.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I beat this game a few years ago but I found the combat really boring even on the higher difficulties, and the voice acting is just godawful. I'm curious to see your take on it.

Also you could play an actual Vanillaware game instead of this chinese knockoff :^)

Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Yeah this game is like a shallow imitator of Muramasa.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Jesuiscontent wrote: chinese
It's part Korean, the creator is half Korean, didn't you see the title
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Jesuiscontent wrote:I beat this game a few years ago but I found the combat really boring even on the higher difficulties, and the voice acting is just godawful. I'm curious to see your take on it.

Also you could play an actual Vanillaware game instead of this chinese knockoff :^)
GREET DANE?!

SCOOBYE DOH?!

ARRRRRGH!!!!!!!!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Interesting. Most curious on what button combos does what.

So far, the 4th ball breaks aren't too bad.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

That button prompt IS pretty incredible.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Jesuiscontent wrote:I beat this game a few years ago but I found the combat really boring even on the higher difficulties, and the voice acting is just godawful. I'm curious to see your take on it.
I think raocow made the right call playing this game on normal. I played on the hardest difficulty level and it made the game worse rather than more challenging. The enemies just look longer to die and the combat slowed to a crawl as a result. On normal raocow should be able to do his "destroy the world" thing and have a lot more fun with the combat than I did.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Yeah you don't really need to grind as such on normal difficulty, it's pretty casual.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

oh man it's the anime animal game
In all seriousness I should probably buy this sometime since it looks both interesting and funny so far. The visuals also look incredible.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Aw man another one I'm gonna have to pass on cause I'm gonna be doing this blind myself eventually. :X
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i like this game a lot, but i've also seen like a toooon of playthroughs of it
but raocow's should be fun.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Oh this game. I almost beat this game a long time ago but stopped for some reason. I dunno, maybe I should resume it just so I can beat it before the cow.

My opinion of the game though is pretty mixed from what I remember. The gameplay and backgrounds are pretty good, although the character designs and the voice acting is eh. 4th wall jokes are always nice, but it definitely feels somewhat forced.

It definitely doesn't compare to Odin Sphere, but it's a good game worth it's price point I'd say.

Who has the most?
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

The Doctor wrote:I think raocow made the right call playing this game on normal. I played on the hardest difficulty level and it made the game worse rather than more challenging. The enemies just look longer to die and the combat slowed to a crawl as a result. On normal raocow should be able to do his "destroy the world" thing and have a lot more fun with the combat than I did.
Iirc normal's the difficulty I finished the game on myself. It was perfectly fine for me up until the last section of the game where the combat got a bit too grindy for my taste. So raocow should definitely be okay.

Also from what I recall it's not just enemies taking more punishment on higher difficulties. It's been awhile but I recall enemies dealing more damage as well.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Yeah, you die in like 1-2 hits on the hardest difficulty level. The thing is dodging hits is fairly easy as long as you play very carefully, so that just further contributes to the combat sucking rather than adding legitimate difficulty. Also, I believe the save points don't heal you forcing you to rely on items for healing. I'm a little tempted to give the game another chance on normal.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

I enjoyed this game when I played it a while back, but unlike Hyper Light Drifter it does fall into that metroidvania/rpg problem where, if you get all the items and upgrades the endgame becomes a joke. I also had the problem of not knowing when to come back to certain parts when I got the appropriate upgrades, so I unintentionally ground way more than I probably should have, which contributed to that.
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Back to say that I now beat the game. I literally stopped play at the end. Go me. Played this on Normal by the way.

But the main reason why I stopped I realized was that finding certain secrets to 100% the game was way too hard for me to find without cheating. Back then it mattered to me, but now I stopped caring and just looked at the guides.

Not gonna 100% the achievements though. I can't sit through this game twice.

Who has the most?
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Is that Mr. Ed doing the intro narration? That's totally Mr. Ed trying to sound gravitas-o-licious. And Eddy-baby, it's totally not working.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Xirix wrote:gorgeous visuals
You call anime furries "gorgeous." Really. :|

I can barely watch this because this looks so...I don't have a word for it, really. It's just that games like these failed to learn the principal lesson Sonic taught (and sometimes failed to apply in later games): Try to keep the focus away from the furry part of your game (which HLD did), and if you have to draw attention to them, don't be overly serious about it. This is trying to be an overwrought fantasy drama right from the start, which is bad enough in a gaming context if the primary characters are human or demi-human. But furries? It just turns utterly absurd because you can't take the characters seriously at all. So it becomes a cringefest for everyone except RL furries and their fans. I mean...
Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:Is that Mr. Ed doing the intro narration? That's totally Mr. Ed trying to sound gravitas-o-licious. And Eddy-baby, it's totally not working.
Had it just been in human settings, we would be cracking about it because the narration is overly cliched in terms of high fantasy. But because it thrusts its furriness upfront and center, we immediately think Mr. Ed's narrating. It's farcial.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image