(shouting)

Let's Play A2MT: The Fixed Edition! - 77g FINAL - We Will Rock You [B-Side]

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Let's Play A2MT: The Fixed Edition! - 77g FINAL - We Will Rock You [B-Side]

Post by QubicTom »

Over the last few months, talkhaus user Tobi555 has been painstakingly fixing A2MT one piece at a time. The new version has everything working - the Parrot Coins, the Treasure Chests, the midpoints (!) and even the title screen and overworld! Go check it out here: http://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&p=375288. Just for fun, I've decided to play A2MT as a B-side. JUMP is still the priority, and it'll return in the first week of October. Until then, enjoy some unbroken Demo action!

Ep1 - Back from the Undead
Ep2 - Parrots and Treasure Chests
Ep3 - Birds with Berets
Ep4 - Different Shades of Green
Ep5 - Diamonds of Light and Banana Snakes
Ep6 - Multi-tier Green Hill Zone
Ep7 - Furiously Jumping in Elevators
Ep8 - Blue Plains and Bread
Ep9 - Blargg Boo and a Moose
Ep10 - Realistic Bullet Generator
Ep11 - Hamburgers and Rubber Ducks
Ep12 - Rusty Gears and Sympahy
Ep13 - Barrels, Brambles and Bananas
Ep14 - Pig Beach
Ep15 - Cave of Green and Lake of Blue
Ep16a - Shell Shock and Rising Tides
Ep16b - Underground Greens and Empty Chests
Ep17 - Demo, Danger and Saws
Ep18 - Aerial Athleticism with Popcorn
Ep19 - Angry Cloud Man at Dawn
Ep20 - Movember Beach and Heart Cave
Ep21 - ASMT and the Haunted Cartridge
Ep22 - Safety Inspector Demo and the Gelatin Factory
Ep23a - Parallax, Trolls and Softlock
Ep23b - Septentrion's Chest
Ep24a - Genies in a Swamp
Ep24b - The Not-So-Lovely Penguin
Ep25s - Indoor Beach and Limepie
Ep26 - The Velocity of Homing Bullet Bills
Ep27 - Thwomps, Ire and Midnight
Ep28 - Wide Eyes and a Space Blanket
Ep25l - "A Beach" by limepie20 [No Commentary]
Ep29 - The One Hundred Year War
Ep30a - A Familiar Key in the Forest
Ep30b - Chompy Woods
Ep31 - Heavily Fortified Cotton Candy
Ep32 - Plants on the Beach
Ep33 - Door to Cycloptic Irritation
Ep34 - British Pounds and Dropped Hammers
Ep35 - Super Mario World At The Base
Ep36 - Shiny Shiny Cutscene
Ep37 - Invading Moscow
Ep38 - A Long Long Castle
Ep39 - Ritalin Lime Pie
Ep40 - Mad Science Gone Too Far
Ep41 - Mondrian Masterpiece and Plasma Chucks
Ep42 - Coupon Castle to the West
Ep43a - Candy Cane Spike Tunnels and Milk
Ep43b - Precision Spike Tunnel Navigation
Ep43c - Wrathful Romp Chest Pain
Ep44 - P Switch Power Hour
Ep45 - A Pretty Great Swiss Army Knife
Ep46 - Getting Ahead in the Gold Mine
Ep47 - Briefly Excited Penguins
Ep47o - Original Mansion of Onoffness
Ep48 - Surprise Chickens
Ep49 - Irrelevant Pixel Art
Ep50 - Perforation Palace
Ep50o - The Original Meaning of Sharp
Ep51 - This Level Stinks
Ep52 - Fluffy Cuddly Cosy Goodness
Ep53 - Going Postal
Ep54 - Suddenly Rayman
Ep55a - Tower of Bad Decisions
Ep55b - The Gift of Grammar
Ep56a - Attack of the Donuts
Ep56b - Layer of Toothpaste
Ep57a - Singularly Good Album
Ep57b - Green Goo and Heat Exhaustion
Ep58 - Unphased Positivism
Ep59 - Giant Demo Portrait
Ep60 - Sweeping Lights then Total Darkness
Ep61 - Sewage Pipes and Official Documentation
Ep62a - Dodge The Power-Ups
Ep62b - Dès Fois J'ai Peur
Ep62c - Dodge Power-Ups, Then Enemies
Ep62d - The Meaning of Life
Ep63a - Very Steep Slopes
Ep63b - Even More Very Steep Slopes
Ep63c - Two Phantos and a Key
Ep64 - Invisible Floors and Wild Pokemon
Ep65a - Crocodiles and Activision
Ep65b - A Comedy of Errors
Ep66 - Lost Love in Lakitundra
Ep67a - Church of the Unnecessarily Long
Ep67b - Big Red Button
Ep68a - Grey Carousel and a Fish Generator
Ep68b - Duck Soup
ERROR CODE 69 - MAINTENANCE REQUIRED
Ep43l - Correcting the Demo Counter
Ep70 - Book of Courage and a Rare Cucco
Ep71a - Layered Questions
Ep71b - Swimming with the Stars
Ep71c - Stardom
Ep72a - Big Terrifying Eye
Ep71l - The Gameboy Palace [No Commentary]
Ep72b - Chuck Magnet
Ep72c - Demistified Forest
Ep73 - Trials of the Parrot
Ep74a - further over there by raocow
Ep74b - slightly more further over there
Ep74c - a little extra slightly more further over there
Ep74d - up above and to the left of a little extra slightly more further over there
Ep74e - Last Parrot Coin and Chest of further over there (and A2MT)
Ep75a - Return to Trials of the Parrot
Ep75b - What's Black and White and Red all over?
Ep75c - Trials of the Disco
Ep76 - Fantasy Explorer Nitroid [Extraordinary Flip Notes]
Ep77a - I Will Survive [B-Side]
Ep77b - How Soon is Now? [B-Side]
Ep77c - I Am the Walrus [B-Side]
Ep77d - Green Onions [B-Side]
Ep77e - Unchained Melody [B-Side]
Ep77f - Hound Dog [B-Side]
77g FINAL - We Will Rock You [B-Side]

Number of copyright claims from Nintendo: 10 [One was for the end credits of B-Side!]
Last edited by QubicTom 6 years ago, edited 136 times in total.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Let's Play A2MT: The Fixed Edition! - Ep1 and Ep2 - Parrots and Treasures

Post by raocow »

I'd put the lategame of this game as harder than jump honestly
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

oh boy, it _feels_ like the first time watching a real LP of this hack, and yet it somehow also still feels abandoned. It's weird to think about. Looking forward to reliving this
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

Hey thanks for LPing this I appreciate it :D I'll be keeping up with this C: Also, yea there's a chest and set of parrots in every level :P I get paranoid so don't mind me but if anything happens to break in any way whatsoever, even though i ran through it like 10 times please let me know XD Again I'm sorry for the empty chests later but I had to tie it into the game somehow so I used it as a plot point :oops: It wasn't to skimp out on work but use it as a joke of the development cycle of the game and how it always seemed to have something broken going on :lol: Also from what I know Serac talks to Demo in A2XT about how she "couldn't give demo a proper introduction in A2MT" so it kinda flowed together well nicely.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Intro level (grass part) - A Super Mario Thing - over there... (forest part) (oh dear, sequel to over there... is going to be so much of a thing)
A Menagerie in a Glass - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - X-Naut Fortress
Intertwined Plains - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Athletic
A Stroll Beneath the Stars - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong-Quest (SNES) - Forest Interlude
Parrot's Pad Planning Phase - Kirby Super Star Ultra - Helper to Hero Rest Point
Parrot's Pad Planning Phase (parrot sublvl) - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - Fight Against Monsters

Back in 2009, there was a ROM hack called Hacks 101 created by Tails_155. It was so, so, misunderstood, and people started copying crazy ground patterns to a point of a parody (level 1 and level 3 avoided parodying the style of Hacks 101 only because they were made by Tails_155) and ignored everything else, which is why you will see lots of those crazy patterns like in level 2, and you will see stuff like that in the future levels.

Interestingly, the ledge blocks with vines were supposed to be custom blocks (at least that is what I would suspect, because this is what Hacks 101 did) that act as both, but I suppose the custom block wasn't inserted, and Tobi555 just replaced them with ledges. Oh well, doesn't really affect level design in this case.

The first level of a game, a Menagerie in a Glass, it begins with ASMT sprites (first Talkhaus' SMW ROM hack), transitioning to A2MT sprites.

The second level had its gimmick probably added late on, it's quite clear that the gimmick just doesn't fit the level. Which is why it's so long, actually. (A2MT has plenty of long levels... this is just beginning, sadly... in a way, adding multiple Midway Points patch in JUMP was one of best design decisions for JUMP)

Be warned out that the game gets crazy hard early on. You may as well be one level before the first crazy level.

Also, there is a power-up filter for an entire game. I think myself it's dumb, but that's what the A2MT designers did (which is IMO a bad choice, but I think that A2MT was designed as an unrelated level showcase for raocow to play and die on over and over?).
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

era64 wrote: Interestingly, the ledge blocks with vines were supposed to be custom blocks (at least that is what I would suspect, because this is what Hacks 101 did) that act as both, but I suppose the custom block wasn't inserted, and Tobi555 just replaced them with ledges. Oh well, doesn't really affect level design in this case.
Yea your right about that one good eye XD There's a couple little things that had to be done in order to make some of these levels work and not seem out of place. Trust me I did as much as I could to change as little as possible while still making it work. The biggest examples of change are going to be Punctuated Time, Gameboy Palace, and Demo Kong Country. One of those prime examples of how the longer a dead project stays dead the harder it is to revive but I managed. C:
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play A2MT: The Fixed Edition! - Ep3 - Birds Wearing Berets

Post by QubicTom »

raocow wrote:I'd put the lategame of this game as harder than jump honestly
I remember the real final level, you described the level of difficulty as "poetry"! I hope to have JUMP finished before I reach this game's lategame, although practice can only get you so far when it comes to A2MT difficulty! I look forward to playing betrayal rock, even though I think it's going to actually break me :lol:
nathanisbored wrote:oh boy, it _feels_ like the first time watching a real LP of this hack, and yet it somehow also still feels abandoned. It's weird to think about. Looking forward to reliving this
The game is so old and so tainted by its unfortunate original release, but I hope this new lease of life changes that! I don't think I should be the one LPing this game right now, it deserves much more recognition than I alone can give it. When this new version came to light, I informed aterraformer immediately, and he has been playing it on his twitch channel (on console!). Check it out here: https://www.twitch.tv/aterraformer/profile. I hope someone with more subscribers plays A2MT too (hint hint, nudge nudge)!
Tobi555 wrote:Hey thanks for LPing this I appreciate it :D
Man, you have no idea how thrilled I was when you said you had fixed the game! At first I only wanted to let people know that A2MT: Back from the Undead existed, so I put a little video up to let my few subscribers know, but it was so fun to play that I felt compelled to continue. So thank you for fixing this game! I'm playing on snes9x, so if things break it's my fault and not yours, but so far so good! Thanks for letting me know that there is a chest in every level, that's good to know! I hope raocow plays the Tobi555 version of A2MT in the future, your work deserves a lot more recognition than I can give it!
era64 wrote:The first level of a game, a Menagerie in a Glass, it begins with ASMT sprites (first Talkhaus' SMW ROM hack), transitioning to A2MT sprites.
Be warned out that the game gets crazy hard early on. You may as well be one level before the first crazy level.
As usual, thank you so much for the music links! I didn't actually notice the transition from the old enemy types to new enemy types (or, I didn't notice that it was done on purpose!). I am dreading some of the harder levels, but as with JUMP, I will give everything an honest try.

Today's video is a long one! The levels are completely full of raocow references (in a Demo game? Never!)
Ep3 - Birds Wearing Berets
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Painting the Treehouse - Touhou 10.5: Scarlet Weather Rhapsody - Hakurei Shrine Theme: The Ground's Colour is Yellow
Dodge the Beefsteak! - Mega Man 5 - Star Man
Dodge the Beefsteak! (regularly returning to VIP1) - Mega Man - Cut Man

The switch in Painting the Treehouse is really buggy, and I'm not sure what's the deal with it. Essentially, if you touch it, it may or may not switch the state of a switch (probably switching it multiple times?). The level itself is probably one of better levels in the game (and easier), if you ignore the stupid buggy switch.

The artist's house is impossible to enter. Oh well.

Dodge the Beefsteak! is a reference to mistranslation of VIP1's level name "Dodge the enemies". Although you have to admit that beefsteak is funnier :). The final section of the level is from final section of VIP1's Boon's Mechanical Mansion (essentially a level with random rooms, but always ends with the same room that is called the "final defense" of a mansion or whatever). It doesn't have a message appearing when you enter it, but I suppose the author didn't know about double "Display Level Message 1" trick (to display second message in a level). The flying section is a reference to Kaizo level in VIP1 called Missingno. which is about cape flying. However, it's much easier than Missingno..

And it also has Tails_155-style tiles (relatively light by standards of Tails_155 style, but still). This is something that VIP1 missed. As I said, you will see plenty of Tails_155-like style in this ROM hack, considering period of time during which levels were made (those tiles sorta show that the hack was made in like 2009-2011, that style was way too common back then). At least Painting the Treehouse didn't have that style that is like everywhere in this ROM hack, so that's good, right?

Voting for Coin Town USA to have some angrytom early on :twisted:.
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

QubicTom wrote:Man, you have no idea how thrilled I was when you said you had fixed the game! At first I only wanted to let people know that A2MT: Back from the Undead existed, so I put a little video up to let my few subscribers know, but it was so fun to play that I felt compelled to continue. So thank you for fixing this game! I'm playing on snes9x, so if things break it's my fault and not yours, but so far so good! Thanks for letting me know that there is a chest in every level, that's good to know! I hope raocow plays the Tobi555 version of A2MT in the future, your work deserves a lot more recognition than I can give it!
Well I greatly appreciate it I might have to put out an update later after yours or Terra's run of it for the Time Up! issue. There's only a few levels that have it and I've already fixed em all I believe. In a game where you die a lot it flew under the radar for me so I'm gonna have to check every level again for ones that have this issue XD LP's like this really help pinpoint these issues C:
era64 wrote:Voting for Coin Town USA to have some angrytom early on :twisted:.
Heh XD Oh man if this stays purely save stateless that would be Godly...There's a reasons there's a password protected Secret.zip folder XP
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play A2MT: The Fixed Edition! - Ep4 - Different Shades of Green

Post by QubicTom »

I will honestly try to do this savestateless. I haven't needed save states yet in JUMP, but I know that this game will end up being super difficult and frustrating before long :lol:

Next episode! When JUMP resumes next week I'll alternate between the two games, allowing time to vote in between!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

IIRC difficulty in AM2T is based on ring rather than actual location?

Might be best to do the all outside ones first and then slowly move your way in if I'm right...
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

QubicTom wrote:I will honestly try to do this savestateless. I haven't needed save states yet in JUMP, but I know that this game will end up being super difficult and frustrating before long :lol:

Next episode! When JUMP resumes next week I'll alternate between the two games, allowing time to vote in between!
Today's episode starts the struggle that is yet to come :lol: In regards to the chests, I always felt that a lot of people feel that A2MT should be in a pristine shape like JUMP if it was revived while I disagree. A2MT came from an era of different standards and thus needs to be approached that way. The level design may be shoddy and super old but I don't aim to put in more effort to this than it's worth and make it a juggernaut with a bunch of ASM and stuff. It's like if someone went back to ASMT and gave it the JUMP treatment, it's just not worth it. It had it's time just like A2MT did I'd rather leave what's not broken and move on. I wanted to make this project possible since its a Talkhaus project that reflects the hard work of the forum from 2010-2014. As it stands regardless of how people feel I'm extremely happy with the way the story is now. It may be random and cut some corners but it puts a smile on my face. It's better than having all the work go to waste and Serac, Demo's sister in law, is perfect for wall breaking anyways, it's ironic that she was originally conceived from this game to :lol: It's not like Talkhaus game's haven't broken the 4th wall before either :P Regardless of the story I just told.....ummmm...good episode :lol:
Grounder wrote:IIRC difficulty in AM2T is based on ring rather than actual location?

Might be best to do the all outside ones first and then slowly move your way in if I'm right...
Yes you start from inside then work your way out to the outer circle maps :) Its all about getting those switch palaces
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Thwomp Garden - New Super Mario Bros. - Overworld
Thwomp Garden (underground) - Super Mario 64 - Cave Dungeon (Hazy Maze)
I don't know what the problem is.
Wow, you did this level like really well, dying like one time. For contrast, raocow had 15 deaths and put a savestate in middle of a level.

You know what, I'm fairly sure you are ready for Special-5 in JUMP, now that you have defeated Coin Town USA.

Thwomp Garden was actually made by Kristian, but I can see why it feels like yoshicookiezeus's level (except much easier than an actual ycz level ;-)). Unlike ASMT, where Kristian made lots of levels, this is the only level by Kristian in A2MT. Either way, Thwomp Garden feels like a legitimately good level (other than the really weird chest placement), in a way similar to Kristian's ASMT levels (which is why it doesn't use Tails_155 style graphics).

Hm, so I checked readme of A2MT Complete. I suppose there are no Extraordinary Flip Notes... too bad, would love to see you to play this level. Although I suppose inserting ASM of this level could be a difficulty (I'm not even sure if it was submitted), so understood.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

honestly yeah, like with your crash course training in Jump, Tom, I don't think you can qualify yourself as a 'bad' player anymore. You are definitely on the 'good' side now. Even 'above average'.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

era64 wrote:Hm, so I checked readme of A2MT Complete. I suppose there are no Extraordinary Flip Notes... too bad, would love to see you to play this level. Although I suppose inserting ASM of this level could be a difficulty (I'm not even sure if it was submitted), so understood.
Yea I tried to insert it but it caused more problems than good especially since the ASM is lost to history so I had to cut it unfortunately just like La Joie de Glisser. Every other level is there though even the final level, which Franky gave me permission to name for the next update since it never had a name. :)
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play A2MT: The Fixed Edition! - Ep5 - Diamonds of Light and Banana Snakes

Post by QubicTom »

Tobi555 wrote: I wanted to make this project possible since it's a Talkhaus project that reflects the hard work of the forum from 2010-2014. As it stands regardless of how people feel I'm extremely happy with the way the story is now.
Yes you start from inside then work your way out to the outer circle maps :) It's all about getting those switch palaces
I think you did the right thing with leaving the levels as they were and not adding any asm trickery, because it means you made the version of the game that was intended by the original authors. I call this "The Fixed Edition", but in my mind this is actually the real addition of A2MT, the true v1.0!
era64 wrote:Wow, you did this level like really well, dying like one time. For contrast, raocow had 15 deaths and put a savestate in middle of a level.
Thwomp Garden was actually made by Kristian, but I can see why it feels like yoshicookiezeus's level (except much easier than an actual ycz level ;-)). ... Either way, Thwomp Garden feels like a legitimately good level

Hm, so I checked readme of A2MT Complete. I suppose there are no Extraordinary Flip Notes... too bad, would love to see you to play this level. Although I suppose inserting ASM of this level could be a difficulty (I'm not even sure if it was submitted), so understood.
When we reach Extraordinary Flip Notes, I'll gladly play the best working version available if someone provides it to me. Thanks for letting me know who made Thwomp Garden, I agree that it's a nice level!
raocow wrote:honestly yeah, like with your crash course training in Jump, Tom, I don't think you can qualify yourself as a 'bad' player anymore. You are definitely on the 'good' side now. Even 'above average'.
Thank you for the compliment! However, I think the reason that I'm doing well is because this game isn't blind. I watched your playthrough, of course, and I was present for aterraformer's four hour long stream of this version of the game the day it came out. In JUMP I rely on reactions, whereas here I feel as if I've already learned the levels. I predict that as soon as I pass the levels that aterraformer played, my playing will drop back down to JUMP quality! (Although if people prefer happy-go-lucky QubicTom, I can prepare for every level by rewatching raocow's videos...!)

Today I handed in my PhD thesis, after four long years of work in the lab. I think we should celebrate with more A2MT! :D
Ep5 - Diamonds of Light and Banana Snakes
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Re: Let's Play A2MT: The Fixed Edition! - Ep5 - Diamonds of Light and Banana Snakes

Post by Tobi555 »

QubicTom wrote:
Tobi555 wrote: I wanted to make this project possible since it's a Talkhaus project that reflects the hard work of the forum from 2010-2014. As it stands regardless of how people feel I'm extremely happy with the way the story is now.
Yes you start from inside then work your way out to the outer circle maps :) It's all about getting those switch palaces
I think you did the right thing with leaving the levels as they were and not adding any asm trickery, because it means you made the version of the game that was intended by the original authors. I call this "The Fixed Edition", but in my mind this is actually the real addition of A2MT, the true v1.0!

When we reach Extraordinary Flip Notes, I'll gladly play the best working version available if someone provides it to me. Thanks for letting me know who made Thwomp Garden, I agree that it's a nice level!
Thanks yea it's definitely the full game and it's already been incorporated on the wiki as canon main series by the X team so I couldn't be more humbled :) Regarding the Flip Notes level if anyone even has a copy of it anymore, Alex has been banned for years. Some of the ASM doesn't work in it anymore either like the Saving whenever ASM.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

LBS (dark) - Touhou Chireiden - Subterranean Animism: Lullaby of Deserted Hell
LBS (light) - Banjo-Kazooie - Treasure Trove Cove

(Watch out for the banana snakes they will get in your way...)

Also, because I forgot previously. This is a global track.

Level clear - Super Marisa World - Level Clear

(I wonder when I will give up on trying to recognize music because it's too tricky... to think that Touhou song is barely recognizable)

Whoa, 10 deaths. This level is really spammy with Banana Snakes. Coins at the end of dark section of a level spell out A2MT. Voting for Layer 2 Romp.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

era64 wrote: (I wonder when I will give up on trying to recognize music because it's too tricky... to think that Touhou song is barely recognizable)
Whoa, 10 deaths. This level is really spammy with Banana Snakes. Coins at the end of dark section of a level spell out A2MT. Voting for Layer 2 Romp.
I have faith that you'll always recognize the song, since you've been so successful for so long! I'm surprised you haven't won every single talkhaus music contest :lol: Your vote came in after I recorded this next video, but it will be counted for the next recording session. Deaths will increase exponentially with the video number, I expect!
Tobi555 wrote: Thanks yea it's definitely the full game and it's already been incorporated on the wiki as canon main series by the X team so I couldn't be more humbled :)
That's awesome! I hope you win every 'talkhaus most' award this year, dude!

This video was recorded only just after releasing Ep5, so there were no votes in at the time, but all of yesterday's votes are being counted towards the next level I play!

On a side note, this was recorded late night after I had submitted my thesis and then drove 160km to my second job. Playing is... a bit sloppy. That's my excuse! :D
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

QubicTom wrote:That's awesome! I hope you win every 'talkhaus most' award this year, dude!

This video was recorded only just after releasing Ep5, so there were no votes in at the time, but all of yesterday's votes are being counted towards the next level I play!

On a side note, this was recorded late night after I had submitted my thesis and then drove 160km to my second job. Playing is... a bit sloppy. That's my excuse! :D
Thanks Qubic I hope I get at least 1 but if I don't that's ok to I did this for the community after all not for the glory :)
Sugar

Re: Let's Play A2MT: The Fixed Edition! - Ep6 - Multi-tier Green Hill Zone

Post by Sugar »

You already mentioned that one, but whatever.

Verdant Varmit - Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) - Green Hill Zone

The beginning of Verdant Varmit sorta tries to suggest that it was a level flipped upside-down. But that's not really the case.

Boomerang Bros summon two boomerangs, and they wait a while in a loop (similarly to Pitchin' Chucks, although you don't need to count for Boomerang Bros).

The second half of Verdant Varmit seems weird. It's weirdly designed, and it's not quite obvious what needs to be done with ON/OFF switch in it. Oh well, that was 2010 for you.

Multi-tier Hillside is NeverUsed and Little Cup (it's still early game, after all) at once. Okay, I'm sorry, this is what happens when you used to be a moderator on Smogon. But seriously, it's a neatly designed level, too bad that Super Mario World can only handle 10 sprites at once, which isn't that great when the level essentially has three different paths. This is something that SA-1 patch would make much more playable. But at the same time, SA-1 patch is quite recent.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

era64 wrote:that Touhou song is barely recognizable
I always think it sounds like Scarborough Fair.

Here is my guide "On killing lakitu" from the smw twice daily newsletter, It's A Smoo World (Aug 24th 2012 (evening edition)).

So that the cloud vanishes immediately:
-Jumping on his head

So that the cloud vanishes after an interval:
-Cape spin
-Star kill
-Thrown shell, etc.
-Bomb explosion
-Slide kill
-Bounced block

So that the cloud remains forever:
-Burning

N.B. Yoshi can't eat lakitu, and lakitu won't die in lava or be affected by the silver switch (the spinies become coins, of course); the goal turns him into a coin.
dont wanna jihad no more
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

morsel/morceau wrote:-Thrown shell, etc.
You know, I'm surprised you didn't say throw block, because you know, MM :).
Money

Re: Let's Play A2MT: The Fixed Edition! - Ep6 - Multi-tier Green Hill Zone

Post by Money »

Oh hey it's my level I made a million years ago! (Multi-Tier Hillside)

So I think I've told this story before but I may as well tell it again. This level's the first (and so far, only) thing I ever made in Lunar Magic, and for all intents and purposes is the first level I've ever designed ever. It's nothing to write home about.

The Sonic parallels are definitely intentional: I knew I didn't know enough about SMW hacking to do anything chocolate, so I decided a simple, vanilla, Sonic-esque level where the main challenge is to stay on top so you can get all the goodies would be the way to go. The original concepts had the only way to the top being the invisible tofu man, but that didn't really work with the way the level was set up, so instead I decided that if people could get up some other way, it'd be a reward for them being a good player. Or something.

Honestly most of the design is of the "just put shit down" variety. The actual design gets mildly more complex as it goes on, with the landmasses getting more abstract (Tails_155 tiles, wooooo!) to denote a sense of progress, and as such has the platforming in theory getting more difficult, but I mean that hardly impacts gameplay at all so. Eh.

The sky being a weird color (and the rest of the level's palette too) is because it looked too boring originally, so I asked Tails_155 if he could come up with a palette that looked like the sun was juuuuust beginning to set.

Also yeah sprite issues, that's a thing.

Anyways I mean it's not a terrible level, but it's my first. A hardly remarkable World 1 style romp. It exists.
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

morsel/morceau wrote: So that the cloud remains forever:
-Burning
There's another more obscure way as well, if the sprite limit is full and the goal tape spawns while the lakitu is on screen, then the goal tape is able to replace the lakitu (goal tapes can do this with any sprite which is also vulnerable to quake sprites, so the lakitu must be the one of these which is in the highest memory slot). This is often done on accident in Star World 3 in the original game, and it also doesn't set a timer on the cloud so the cloud will last forever.
era64 wrote: Boomerang Bros summon two boomerangs, and they wait a while in a loop (similarly to Pitchin' Chucks, although you don't need to count for Boomerang Bros).
Actually, you don't need to count for baseball chucks. After they throw their last baseball, the little baseball graphic doesn't appear in their hand. The fact that the baseballs show in their hands before they throw them is a neat little attention to detail that I think a lot of people don't notice, but you can actually use it to tell when they're going to throw too, so it's also useful!