(shouting)

Let's Play A2MT: The Fixed Edition! - 77g FINAL - We Will Rock You [B-Side]

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Re: Let's Play A2MT: The Fixed Edition! - Ep28 - Wide Eyes and a Space Blanket

Post by QubicTom »

Ryrir wrote:Also, it's kind of funny that you never touched the ghost because you thought he'd kill you. What actually happens is that he gives you a pop-up mushroom haha
Oops!
Awakenyourmind wrote:Voting goofy grotto since raocow is.
There is a reason why he is voting for it! I've wanted to play it for a while, and it was your vote that broke the five way tie, so thank you!

Goofy Grotto by "Tails_155" ;)
Ep28 - Wide Eyes and a Space Blanket

Question for a certain lowercase 'r' guy: Did you do all the graphic swaps, or did Tails_155 actually make some graphical modifications for you after you submitted the level? You seemed surprised by some of the faces in your video of Goofy Grotto, but I understand that could be part of the ruse :D

Other question: Should this have been two 15 minute long videos, with a level a piece? I chose to make a longer episode here because I didn't think either level could make a decent episode on their own. Opinions?

Voting options:
Chilly Ice Cave - miguel21450
Cumulonimbastille - Paralars
Forest Fever - TwoHeadedYoshi
Irritating... - Camoslash
Punctuated Time - limepie20 and Cheeseofdoom
Starlight Resort - Karatekid5
Woodchuck Woods - Ometeotl
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I did none of the graphic swaps, all I did was the structure of the level and the placement of stuff. So I did the face pattern with the coins or whatever, but everythign either graphic or texture is all tails.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Money

Post by Money »

I explicity remember making that mask treasure sprite, along with at least a few others (the sounds good box and amber i remember explicitly). Actually, making sprites for this was the reason I joined the talkhaus to begin with. Man, it's making me nostalgic.
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

You probably noticed this already Tom but the graphic for that level's chest appears above the box and that's intentional. Due to level bit issues the graphic would appear behind the text box layer so we placed it right above the box. In order to fix it we would literally have to search through thousands of code to find what's causing it so we chose this as an alternative. This issue only affects 2 or 3 chest graphics so those graphics appear either above the text box or above Demo's head :) Nice video today!
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Fun fact about that item graphic. I'm convinced it looks like unidentifiable garbage, but 4/4 people told me it does in fact look like an oven mitt like it's supposed to, so I let it go as it is. It is the only graphic of all the graphics I did that I am not happy with.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

TaviTurnip wrote:Fun fact about that item graphic. I'm convinced it looks like unidentifiable garbage, but 4/4 people told me it does in fact look like an oven mitt like it's supposed to, so I let it go as it is. It is the only graphic of all the graphics I did that I am not happy with.
It definitely looked like an oven mitt! Although I didn't even see the graphic until editing - I'd played so many levels with missing chests that when I saw the black space I didn't even think about it. In editing I noticed the oven mitt above the text box.
MoneyMan wrote:I explicity remember making that mask treasure sprite, along with at least a few others (the sounds good box and amber i remember explicitly). Actually, making sprites for this was the reason I joined the talkhaus to begin with. Man, it's making me nostalgic.
If you recognize any other sprites of yours, do let me know!
Tobi555 wrote:You probably noticed this already Tom but the graphic for that level's chest appears above the box and that's intentional.
That's okay! I'll just have to keep an eye out when it happens :)
raocow wrote:I did none of the graphic swaps, all I did was the structure of the level and the placement of stuff. So I did the face pattern with the coins or whatever, but everythign either graphic or texture is all tails.
That was a kind surprise by Tails_155! Fearful of all of your accredited levels :lol:

I wasn't really able to record properly tonight, got home after midnight and my housemate was asleep. But here's something. Trying very hard to keep the daily uploads going! It was interesting how much more responsive Demo was when playing on zsnes. Huge noticeable difference!
Ep25l - "A Beach" by limepie20 [No Commentary]
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Re: Let's Play A2MT: The Fixed Edition! - Ep25l - "A Beach" by limepie20 [No Commentary]

Post by Tobi555 »

Wow you went through it way more smoothly than before XD I didn't know the controls we're more responsive on zsnes. It helped you quite a bit, even more reason to play on zsnes I guess :lol: You even got to see the NPC that despawned from sprite limitations (which I'm fixing for 1.9 btw) :)
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Let's Play A2MT: The Fixed Edition! - Ep25l - "A Beach" by limepie20 [No Commentary]

Post by Ryrir »

Nice job dude! I hope my comments helped and you didn't have to struggle too much! :)

If you think that your inputs process more smoothly on ZSNES, I think you should probably switch to that indefinitely. A2MT is already hard (and unfair) enough without having to worry about input lag, and there are a few more custom bosses in the game as well that probably break on 9x. It probably makes more sense to play on ZSNES, even if some things like the quality of the music are definitely worse.

I don't know how many SMW hacks you plan on playing in the future, but as a general rule I would personally use ZSNES for any "chocolate" hack that was created before ~2013, and 9x or ZMZ or whatever for anything newer. Vanilla hacks or hacks that don't use a lot of custom assets usually run fine on any emulator.
this is getting laundromatic
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Not such a beetch after all.
dont wanna jihad no more
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

Oh also forgot to vote for a level. My votes going towards Punctuated Time again :)
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Voting for Punctuated Time too.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

Tobi555 wrote:You even got to see the NPC that despawned from sprite limitations (which I'm fixing for 1.9 btw) :)
The [No Commentary] video was recorded on the Zsnes, so everything worked fine!
Ryrir wrote:Nice job dude! I hope my comments helped and you didn't have to struggle too much! :)
If you think that your inputs process more smoothly on ZSNES, I think you should probably switch to that indefinitely. A2MT is already hard (and unfair) enough without having to worry about input lag, and there are a few more custom bosses in the game as well that probably break on 9x. It probably makes more sense to play on ZSNES, even if some things like the quality of the music are definitely worse.
All hints are appreciated! A big difference was made by the responsiveness of Zsnes, it made the long jumps in the second half much more reasonable.
morsel/morceau wrote:Not such a beetch after all.
Exactly :lol:

Today's video has commentary :P And this was played on Zsnes, due to all the reasons demonstrated in the most recent videos!
Ep29 - The One Hundred Year War
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Re: Let's Play A2MT: The Fixed Edition! - Ep29 - The One Hundred Year War

Post by Tobi555 »

Voting for Woodchuck Woods, I wanna postpone the end of beach world as long as I can :lol: I feel like I need to give a hint for the chest in that level but then at the same time I feel like letting you try it yourself. Basically my cryptic hint is, "somewhere in the goal room"
Ryrir

Re: Let's Play A2MT: The Fixed Edition! - Ep29 - The One Hundred Year War

Post by Ryrir »

Voting Forest Fever
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play A2MT: The Fixed Edition! - Ep30a - A Familiar Key in the Forest [Woodchuck Woods]

Post by QubicTom »

So today I spent three hours recording this one level. I edited it down to 40 minutes, decided that was too long for an episode, and cut it in two.
Ep30a - A Familiar Key in the Forest

For the longest time I didn't realize that this level had a secret exit. Due to the dull blue level spot on the dull blue background, I didn't really see the indicator. Totally my fault. In the episode above I cut out a huge amount of time exploring for parrot coins. I have a 14 minute episode of the secret exit, except not beating it due to an extremely unfair parrot coin that I still haven't managed to get. I know where the key and keyhole are, but I need that last parrot coin. To those who have played this level,

do you really have to do a blind jump onto an angel block to get to the parrot? I tried the blind drop a number of times and failed. Am I missing something? Is something not spawning? Is the camera too high by mistake? It seems so unfair to have to go so far and do a blind drop with very little chance of success. Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong!

Grounder

Re: Let's Play A2MT: The Fixed Edition! - Ep30a - A Familiar Key in the Forest [Woodchuck Woods]

Post by Grounder »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog

Woodchucks are groundhogs, and yes, they're real.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

QubicTom wrote:Stuff
Yea you gotta do a blind jump on the flying block. I was thinking of putting coins as indicators but it honestly wouldn't help since the block moves back and forth. Might replace the flying block with one of those stretchy platforms.

EDIT: Just replaced it with a stretchy platform hopefully that helps more than random flying patterns :lol: Will be included in 1.9 I'm about more than halfway done testing it so look forward to the sweet music we got running for the worlds :) BTW Woo! 1000th demo XD I've never actually tested to see if it stops at 999 or continues :)
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Yeah, honestly "Woodchuck Woods" is in my top five least favorite A2MT levels. I had more fun playing stuff like "The Meaning Of Sharp"

I always think that hard/unfair levels are a lot more tolerable when they a) don't have terrible music and b) don't have terrible palettes. But oh well...
Tobi555 wrote:EDIT: Just replaced it with a stretchy platform hopefully that helps more than random flying patterns
You probably could have placed the winged block a few tiles higher and kept the original design intact. But I guess it doesn't really matter
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

Ryrir wrote:You probably could have placed the winged block a few tiles higher and kept the original design intact. But I guess it doesn't really matter
I literally just thought about doing that don't worry I'm already on it XD :)
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

Grounder wrote:Woodchucks are groundhogs
Ah! Now I know :D
Ryrir wrote:I always think that hard/unfair levels are a lot more tolerable when they a) don't have terrible music and b) don't have terrible palettes. But oh well...
Yeah, I agree. One thing JUMP excelled at was being difficult but very tolerable. (Except for a couple of Jolpe levels maybe, ha!)
Tobi555 wrote:
Ryrir wrote:You probably could have placed the winged block a few tiles higher and kept the original design intact. But I guess it doesn't really matter
I literally just thought about doing that don't worry I'm already on it XD :)
Thank you very much for doing that! Getting a winning run only took a few minutes with that simple change :)

Finishing up Woodchuck Woods! The winning run was recorded on v1.9, but I edited out visits to the overworld; I want to give some proper focus to the main updates in the next video!
Ep30b - Chompy Woods

I'm in the process of moving house at the moment, so the next JUMP/A2MT videos might be delayed until the weekend. Sorry about this!
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

QubicTom wrote:Thank you very much for doing that! Getting a winning run only took a few minutes with that simple change :)

Finishing up Woodchuck Woods! The winning run was recorded on v1.9, but I edited out visits to the overworld; I want to give some proper focus to the main updates in the next video!
Ep30b - Chompy Woods

I'm in the process of moving house at the moment, so the next JUMP/A2MT videos might be delayed until the weekend. Sorry about this!
No problem Tom :) Don't worry about the delay it happens :lol: Looking forward to the next video. My votes for Starlight Resort :) BTW just so your aware, since you started playing A2MT on version 1.6 the game may still only register 91 exits for you instead of 93 which is what it is now. Don't worry though, no extra path's or levels we're added we just fixed a few overworld path's so that they register as beaten.

EDIT: Now that A2MT's done maybe I can finally relax and finish playing through MAGL3 and start JUMP :lol: Also I didn't put it in the patch notes but I altered the date on the title screen and moved the words "A Second Mario Thing" up one line so that when you go to choose a file the word "Thing" doesn't get covered.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

Tobi555 wrote:I can finally relax ... and start JUMP
JUMP is fantastic, but not relaxing, especially the endgame! Or the midgame. It is great though. Have fun :D

This video I show off v1.9 of A2MT. And do a nice sky castle level (one of many in sky world, it seems!)
Ep31 - Heavily Fortified Cotton Candy

Remember to vote, everyone! Voting options:
Chilly Ice Cave - miguel21450
Forest Fever - TwoHeadedYoshi
Irritating... - Camoslash
Mad Science Laboratory - JVyrn
Sky Castle West - Pheonix
Starlight Resort - Karatekid5
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Re: Let's Play A2MT: The Fixed Edition! - Ep31 - Heavily Fortified Cotton Candy [Cumulonimbastille]

Post by Tobi555 »

Great video today Tom thanks for showcasing the music me and Jongseok painstakingly implemented :lol:

EDIT: Voting for Starlight Resort again :)
Grounder

Re: Let's Play A2MT: The Fixed Edition! - Ep31 - Heavily Fortified Cotton Candy [Cumulonimbastille]

Post by Grounder »

irritating...
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

forest fever