mario fan games galaxysmbx communitypge project

firefox related css updates (bbcode/shoutbox) - ctrl-f5 if they're still jacked up for you

Horikawa Plays MEGA MAN 9

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ZephyrBurst
That Angry Scripting Guy
Pronouns: He

Re: Horikawa Let's Plays Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

Postby ZephyrBurst » 9 months ago

I'm a fan of that boss fight, though where is that choir? :P

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Postby Willhart » 9 months ago

ZephyrBurst wrote:I'm a fan of that boss fight, though where is that choir? :P
It is in the name of the boss.
Starting a new LP Here. Do give the game a look if you find it interesting.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess
First name: Servalan

Postby Horikawa Otane » 8 months ago

New episode out!

In this episode, we finish up the nega-verse and FINALLY begin to explore Karst Castle! We get to meet some new people - and find a nice throwback to Momodora 1!
Watch my Butt on the YouTubes
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Postby Telamon » 8 months ago

I feel like this bossfight deserved to have the Soldexus Abomination Stamp of Disapproval on the thumbnail.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Telamon wrote:I feel like this bossfight deserved to have the Soldexus Abomination Stamp of Disapproval on the thumbnail.
Haha that's a brilliant idea. Sadly a bit too in-jokey though since my audience has expanded a bit past talkhaus!
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Re: Horikawa Let's Plays Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (Ep 10 out!)

Postby Willhart » 8 months ago

Bit sad to see this ending soon. The next game should be great too fortunately.

Telamon

Nice variant of the classic upskirt during the final scene.

kitikami

Postby kitikami » 8 months ago

I'll miss Momodora. They were all really enjoyable LPs.

I'd probably rank them starting from favorite: 4,2,1,3. Three was still good, but felt a bit out of place with the rest of the series and didn't quite have the same kind of atmosphere to me. Maybe the somewhat broken items kept it from being showcased in the best light as well. One probably shouldn't rank ahead of any of the others, but I have a soft spot for Cave Story mods and this really has the feel of a good Cave Story mod. I also think it does a good job of what it sets out to do as a short, simple, self-contained experience with limited production resources. It probably helps that I probably wouldn't worry about 100% if I were playing it.

Two did a good job of expanding on the first game and giving it a more refined purpose and atmosphere, and gave the series a distinct setting and flavor. While three moved away from that a bit, four went back to it and built more on what two did while bringing the most polish to the series and fleshing things out even further. Four was also the one that kind of put everything together into a complete game more than just being a brief experience.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

kitikami wrote:I'll miss Momodora. They were all really enjoyable LPs.

I'd probably rank them starting from favorite: 4,2,1,3. Three was still good, but felt a bit out of place with the rest of the series and didn't quite have the same kind of atmosphere to me. Maybe the somewhat broken items kept it from being showcased in the best light as well. One probably shouldn't rank ahead of any of the others, but I have a soft spot for Cave Story mods and this really has the feel of a good Cave Story mod. I also think it does a good job of what it sets out to do as a short, simple, self-contained experience with limited production resources. It probably helps that I probably wouldn't worry about 100% if I were playing it.

Two did a good job of expanding on the first game and giving it a more refined purpose and atmosphere, and gave the series a distinct setting and flavor. While three moved away from that a bit, four went back to it and built more on what two did while bringing the most polish to the series and fleshing things out even further. Four was also the one that kind of put everything together into a complete game more than just being a brief experience.
Wow your order is like totally different from mine. I'd say my order is 2/3/4/1.

Two had the best overall package to me and had a genuinely nice ending that felt genuinely satisfying (really the only game in the series to do that imho).

I loved the look and feel of 3, even better than 2, but the movement away from metroidvania and that gigantic fart of an ending kept it from being the best to me.

1 isn't bad, but isn't anything to write home about. I do wonder what Dora did with her guns...

And yeah... 4. It had the best gameplay by a mile. But as people know, that's not really enough to do it for me. The environments in that game were so samey and bland to me after awhile. I loved the intro forest and I ADORED the memorial park, but the whole rest of the game kinda blurred together into a visually uninteresting mess of samey emotional responses.

Like in the intro forest I felt like I was entering this ethereal world and the park excellently conveyed a sense of forlorn beauty, but the rest just all sorta evoked a sense of dreary decay to me. I was super into it at first when I was outside of Karst Castle, but by the underwater zone I was tired of that and wanted something to mix it up. Sadly the rest of the game would do that too. It really bored me and kiiiinda made me just want the game to end near the end of it.

I was also really unsatisfied with the ending. Seemed arbitrarily tragic for the sake of DRAMA in a very DT3 way. Now, it was more keeping in the tone of the game than DT3's ending, so it wasn't AS arbitrary and unfitting as that was (and we DID see loss throughout the game, setting it up a bit, unlike in DT3), but it DID end up feeling like a giant 'fuck you' to me. I was also very unhappy that they didn't at least TRY to handle the Momo3 time travel scene.

I still thought 4 was good. I still enjoyed it. A lot, even. It definitely had some AMAZINGLY fun bosses (on one awful, awful, awful one) and the controls were airtight and absurdly fun. But... I really didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I felt I should have.

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Here is the fan art thing I made for the ending. I did not see any drawings of the final boss yet, so that might be first. Also the colors were really fun to use. It almost felt like painting since they blend together so well.

My favorite game was the third one in many ways. The colors and the atmosphere worked really well with the music, and I felt like there was some good variety in the enemy design. I remember having way more trouble with the bosses on my playtrough too, due to having heavier focus on the ranged attacks, and not using that particular item that gave a ton of DPS. Also the linearity made it very easy to pick up later, while collecting the achievements. I might be partial to this due to it being the first game I played too.

All of the games had some good gameplay. I'm definitely looking forward to the possible future games, and what they may bring.

Also I think the thread title could use an update. I tend to forget those too sometimes.

Ignoritus
O◡O
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Ignoritus » 8 months ago

Horikawa Otane wrote:It definitely had some AMAZINGLY fun bosses (on one awful, awful, awful one)
Why all the Lupiar hate? :(

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Ignoritus wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:It definitely had some AMAZINGLY fun bosses (on one awful, awful, awful one)
She felt like total RNG to me... Though your stream does show me some maybe strategies, idk...

Ignoritus
O◡O
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Ignoritus » 8 months ago

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Ignoritus wrote:
She felt like total RNG to me... Though your stream does show me some maybe strategies, idk...
I think I mentioned at one point on my stream, I think Lupiar works a lot better without the whole "no hits" thing. She's not really at all unfair in the context of being able to take a hit, just a fun sort of duel battle. The problem with no hits and Lupiar is that beating her without taking any hit involves being SUPER defensive, as you have to account for the possibility of ANY of her moves coming out at any given moment. And of course, the more you stall out the fight the greater your chances of getting hit by sheer human error increase, so naturally it's a harsh tradeoff.

Closest parallel is Fennel, but while I think Fennel requires much better timing to avoid her attacks, her vulnerability to arrows means you can still do damage while staying far enough away to properly respond to her attacks.

Combat Lobster

Re: Horikawa Let's Plays Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (FINISHED!)

Postby Combat Lobster » 8 months ago

Lupiar is piss easy once you realize that, outside of the right hook, she leaves herself open to counterattacks a lot. That and sticking to ground combat works far better than trying to chain a air attack into a stun.

kitikami

Postby kitikami » 8 months ago

It seemed like the Lupiar fight was balanced around the idea that if you were trying to perfect her, you would have a wealth of fairly strong items at your disposal (since you're probably going for 100% items) and be using them to make the challenge more manageable. Horikawa's approach of getting all the items but then not wanting to use them if they were too strong made the LP more interesting, but it probably brought out the worst in that fight in a way that was maybe not intended.

I think that is actually a really interesting concept for a game that includes optional upgrades. Some of the upgrades can mow through bosses and make them considerably easier, but then you have a boss that would not normally be all that hard who becomes much harder if you want to get her bonus item. It gives you a chance to use the items you got in a non-game-breaking way and preserve the challenge of the game for people who play in different ways. If only one boss is designed that way, though, it will suffer from being a frustrating difficulty spike like what Horikawa experienced even if it is interesting, and there is also the risk of training the player that some items are too unfair to be fun to use before they get to a fight where they actually are fair.

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Item balancing seems to be a tricky thing to design around. It was still somewhat better done than how it was on the third one. Second and first game did not really have an item system like this, and it is interesting how it developed from game to another. Having them as reward for perfecting bosses was a great way to make people challenge themselves. Also having both reusable and passive items worked mostly pretty well, and made the game feel more darksouls-like. I wonder if the next one will go further into that direction (I don't think equipment and crafting would work in too well personally), or if they will try some different direction. I'm also still a bit mixed if I preferred the open world of the second and 4th game, or the more linear ride of the other two.

Telamon

Finally, the Hatoful Boyfriend LP we've all been asking for!

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Re: Horikawa Plays MaGMML (Make a Good Mega Man Level) - Ep 1 Out!

Episode 1 is out!

Honestly? It's starting off pretty gosh danged good! By which I mean terrible. BUT! From a MaG____ perspective... It could be a lot worse!

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Hah. Versus Pewdiepie was on a completely different level. I would have been very surprised, if it was somehow outclassed by something.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 8 months ago

PIZZPtoGO
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

jayScribble
_(:з」∠)_
Pronouns: it, they, that

Postby jayScribble » 8 months ago

The thing I am more surprised about in 19th place is that you confused "a rush job" with a "Rush job" in that person's review (unless you knew about making a pun there), but yeah, there's some lack of quality control with that level with all the disappearing blocks underneath enemies and sort of random nature with the solid blocks.
ImageImageImage
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:

Telamon

raocow wrote:PIZZPtoGO
Finally, the answer of what to eat for dinner!

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Telamon wrote:
raocow wrote:PIZZPtoGO
Finally, the answer of what to eat for dinner!
I mean, it's no Papa Don's, but I guess it's okay.

Telamon

Horikawa Otane wrote:I mean, it's no Papa Don's, but I guess it's okay.
Just don't go on 50% off night, lest it seem to cheap for what's-her-prick.

Kukironosuke
You can call me Kuki
First name: Travis
Pronouns: he/him/kirbys

Postby Kukironosuke » 8 months ago

I feel like with rank 19 level maybe the invisible ladders/pitfalls are sprites that failed to load correctly, or that's what I would hope in the situation, or maybe the author was really just brutish at game design

Return to “let's play”