(shouting)

HACK - THREAD: feat. the TSRP2 thread

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
eataninja

Re: HACK - THREAD: feat. the TSRP2 thread

Post by eataninja »

I was really surprised that you got the Lost Woods secret path on your first try, because I remember it taking me forever to get past that one Charlie. The timing on those platforms is just ridiculous.
haligonian

Post by haligonian »

I happened to be watching today's video while eating lemon meringue pie.
Stop being sick, you'll make me sick somehow (considering I've been pretty much sick ALL FRIGGEN SUMMER. [Not joking.])

I want a blue porcupine buddy. ):
or was it purple

edit:
wait no
hedgehog? idk
I'm really nice.
VallanKnight

Post by VallanKnight »

This hack just looks so cool. It's so much fun to watch.

Also, more chipmunk time makes me go ^_^ This is probably going to be one of my favorite raocow LP series by the time it's done.

Say I wanted to play this hack. Should I start with the first TSRP, or would it be a good idea to just jump straight in to TSRP2?
This is Josh, of the Valiant Gamers.
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

^

Well, TSRPR is imo a must play hack (as is this) so I would really do both.
TSRP2 also ramps up in difficulty way more quickly then TSRPR, so reloaded can give you a good feeling for FPI's level design beforehand.
Crimson

Post by Crimson »

If you play 2 first you miss the intricate and beautifully crafted plot that carries over.
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

Really, really good commentary today, raocow. Actually, you even played pretty well, too!

Seems like you should be sick more often, haha.
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
kilon

Post by kilon »

That Deku Tree level could perhaps benefit from a midpoint, but because you pass through the same are multiple times, that would have been a hard thing to do so I can see why there isn't a midpoint around as well.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

The only place I could see it would be after you drop into the bottom of the tree after the P-Switch part. I think it could work there since the two halves don't really interact with each other that much.

Again though, it's going to be interesting to see how long a no-savestate run will work because there are plenty of levels longer than that one from what I remember, and I'm not even thinking about the endgame difficult long levels either.
TheGuyWhoIsSitting

Post by TheGuyWhoIsSitting »

I never recall raocow saying this would be savestateless, just as few as possible, I doubt raocow is going to remain all bunnies and flowers in a precious happy meadow if he has to play through the same level a million times because he died on one part and there's no midpoint.
eataninja

Post by eataninja »

Since the top and bottom halves don't interact with each other, he could have put a midpoint at the bottom half. I think he chose not to for design purposes - it would have ruined the unity of the level. And really, the together-ness (how all of the parts interact and blend with each other) is the best part of the level, and IMO is what makes FPI's levels so unique.
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

I still think the Deku Tree is one of the most well designed levels in the entire game. FPI is notoriously good at making interesting puzzle levels.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Really nice level. The actual Deku Tree was SO well implemented. Also, Zelda-esque levels of level design. Doubling back all over the rooms in new directions...classy, I love that kind of design.

Though it could really have needed a midpoint after falling down. Can't see the possible harm. OH WELL. I wasn't the one having to replay the first part ^^.

Simon
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

wow. its gonna take a while to catch up on these videos...
The first video had awesome commentary, btw.

edit - im talking about tsrp2. i didn't like hack. gimmick hacks are cool but those gimmicks were too simple and more could've been done with them.
VallanKnight

Post by VallanKnight »

Deku Tree was really spiffy. I didn't really think of it after the fact, but not only was it really well designed, but it went the extra mile and made pretty much every room in the bottom half of the tree have multiple purposes, and linked most of them together in some way. That's just CRAZY.

That being said, my favorite part was, once again, CHIPMUNK TIME. XD
This is Josh, of the Valiant Gamers.
kilon

Post by kilon »

The best part about TSRP2 is that whenever you think the level is over, it isn't.
And making maze-like levels that aren't mazes at all but feel like it.

Also, I'm not the biggest fan of all this chipmunking, but I can understand that you only have time for 1 level and when you just cut it out the video is too short.
Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing »

kilon wrote:The best part about TSRP2 is that whenever you think the level is over, it isn't.
And making maze-like levels that aren't mazes at all but feel like it.
This LP- time and time again- is reminding me that "And this is only the midpoint" was one of the original raocow drinking game rules.
raocow wrote:Next LP project - the entire hunter/scorpion series in chronological order
tatanga

Post by tatanga »

yeah I really like FPI's designs but I feel one of the weak points is the length of the levels. When I played TSRP 2 I got bored sometimes because a level overstayed its welcome.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I dug the "boss fight", but it should've ended immediately after instead of having a little stupid extra platforming section as that would've sat better with me (has nothing to do with raocow's bad playing and dying after)
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

Cool "boss fight". Very innovative for the time.
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

yep, excellent use of the rocks, footballs, and pencil spikes
LucarioPK

Post by LucarioPK »

When was this game made? It LOOKS dated, but the ideas are still very, very fresh.

EDIT: Hack*, rather.
Hi!
Rameau's Nephew

Post by Rameau's Nephew »

TSRP2 was slowly put together over a four year period between 2002 (i.e. shortly after the original TSRP was released) and 2006. Obviously there were some pretty huge advancements made in hacking during that period, which the game makes use of in a somewhat inconsistent degree, giving it something of a patchwork feel (an impression only strengthened by the often strongly contrasting graphics styles), but I suppose that's part of the charm. You can sort of feel SMW-hacking history itself when playing this hack.

But no matter what resources FPI has available to him, he's always been astoundingly good at making clever, original use of them. So even if we've generally become used to a much higher standard of aesthetic polish and and structural coherency in hacks (a standard which FPI himself to a large degree helped set with TSRPR), the sheer creativity of this hack remains untarnished, which probably explains why it (and the entire Second Reality Project series) remains a perennial favorite, even among those who are usually not fond of harder hacks.
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

Hurray for no C7D.

I really, really liked the Whispy Woods level. The actual Whispy Woods 'boss' looked a little tedious, but it seemed pretty well made.
The palette wasn't really bad, but it was just kind of odd. Black and green don't usually go together like that.

Also, 1 level per video with new time limit for the win.
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

I guess if he went to the trouble of renaming the palaces AREAS, we can indeed expect a full switch level tomorrow ^^.

Looking forward to PUZZLE ACTION.

Simon
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

The commentary for all the videos so far has just been awesome.

Also, it really annoys me how all the music is smb3. I'd rather have all the music be vanilla but whatever.