smw centralsmbx communityirc.cat.bio

firefox related css updates (bbcode/shoutbox) - ctrl-f5 if they're still jacked up for you

A Super Mario Tabletop Thing

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Willhart
Reader on the forums

Re: A Super Mario Tabletop Thing

Postby Willhart » 9 months ago

raocow wrote:and like, the truth of the matter is, the delay was so long between videos lately that people basically only commented to say that they lost track of what is going on, and things of that nature :/
I don't mind the long waits, since the previous stuff is usually not too necessary for the episodes, and if there is anything it's usually easy to remember once it is mentioned.
Starting a new LP Here. Do give the game a look if you find it interesting.

Xirix
The British Palindrome

Postby Xirix » 9 months ago

Yeah I didn't have much issue remembering the important details between episodes really, still sad news though, I'll cross my fingers and wait patiently for the last lot to come out.

itsthewhinyguys
Your flair is displayed next to your posts, under your name.
First name: Your real name

Postby itsthewhinyguys » 9 months ago

Same here, I had no problem remembering what happened between episodes, even with the gaps. And if I did forget, usually either the episode brought me up to speed, or I could go back and skim the previous one.

Y'know, if the group was open to this, and decided it did want to record episodes again, I'd be willing to take a crack at doing the editing, despite my relative lack of experience.

I mean, I know I'm a new member, so I'd understand if the answer was "no" anyway, but gosh dang it, I at least need to make an effort to save my favorite video series.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit.

cheez8
Food Nut

Postby cheez8 » 9 months ago

To all five of you (especially Dito): Thank you so much for producing what you already have! It was a real treat to be along for the ride.
I don't really get it but okay

LovelyPenguin
Penguinpenguinpen
First name: \(0v0)/
Pronouns: any are fine

Postby LovelyPenguin » 8 months ago

I really am disappointed in the overall lack of communication involving this, though. Like, instead of making an announcement or something, the discussion thread for this is quietly un-stickied in the hopes we'd forget about it? Shame.
"The penguin is the core of the universe; the penguin is all."
- raocow

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 8 months ago

if it's any comfort, sturg IS trying to edit the backlog! yesterday he told the group that he gave it an honest effort but his laptop isn't able to handle the files in audacity without crashing. however the good news is that he'll have access to a more powerful setup soon.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

LovelyPenguin
Penguinpenguinpen

raocow wrote:if it's any comfort, sturg IS trying to edit the backlog! yesterday he told the group that he gave it an honest effort but his laptop isn't able to handle the files in audacity without crashing. however the good news is that he'll have access to a more powerful setup soon.
That's good, at least. But it saddens me to hear that after a certain point you guys stopped recording entirely, that there are parts we'll never be able to hear, if there are whole sessions you guys didn't record. Hearing summaries isn't the same; part of why I liked the series in the first place was being able to hear you guys' spontaneous reactions and initial thoughts about plot developments. I felt like we found out about the crazy twists at the same time you guys did (even though I know these were pre-recorded), as opposed to reading a summary of key events after the fact.

This may seem a bit unfair of me, since I know you all are busy people, and I have no idea what your schedules are like, or what resources it takes to actually record the whole sessions, but when you found out someone couldn't record/edit the videos, would it not have been possible to at least have someone record the sessions and save them for editing at a later date? So that you'd at least have the option of editing them and posting them later, if there was demand? Out of 5 people, only one was able to record, with no backup plan if that person couldn't? Again, I apologize if I'm coming across as rude with that statement; that is not my intent. I am merely curious.

Also, regarding communication of the issue, as I said earlier, something more upfront, like an announcement on your channel that something was up would have been greatly appreciated, instead of having to find out this way; in a sense, I feel a little betrayed. You could have told us if you guys needed to take a break to get this whole thing sorted out. If you felt like it wasn't worth recording and posting the videos, you could have asked everyone's opinion, seen how interested people were in whether you continued the series publicly or not. I know I would have been willing to wait, even if it did take a while. But instead of asking, you guys quietly try to make us forget about it.

I'm aware this was mainly supposed to be something fun for you to do among friends, so you posting it in the first place is really just a bonus for us, and I'm also aware that this is content we're not even paying for, so it's at your discretion what videos you post and stuff, but...I dunno, once you started posting it as a series on youtube, and people got invested in it, you at least owe it to us to tell us you're gonna stop it. Imagine if over 100 videos in you suddenly stopped posting Distorted Travesty videos, and didn't even tell anyone that you were going to discontinue it, let alone the reason why.

I dunno, maybe I've rambled on too long, but I just wanted to get all that off my chest. That was one of my favorite series on your channel, and I'm sad to not only see it discontinued, but also how poorly the communication was handled. I'm not mad or anything, I'm just deeply disappointed.
- raocow

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 8 months ago

for the record it wasn't my intention to make y'all 'forget it existed', I just removed the sticky nature because there was no update and no post in several months. My plan was to resticky it if we could have some momemtum going again, but it just didn't happen, or at least not yet. I personally appologise that I.. never really said anything about this, but the length of the periods without updates where much greater than I expected.

As for not recording anymore, there are two reasons to this. For one, we have enough backlog for like more than a year of weekly updates. Like we spend a LOT of time past the boat trip before we clear our mission. And at some point, like, it's just that 'what is in the show' and 'what we are actually doing' is so fragmented that it basically doesn't make sense anymore. Early one, it was really fun to like, tease things out ahead of time but like now we'd be teasing something that happens in like 2 years and it's like, what. Basically the disconnect is just... too big. At least that's the way I saw it.

A second reason is, quite simply, that after dito officially left he got replaced by two players, and one of them is not comfortable with being recorded and being put on the internet.

Like I know it sucks, and I'm sorry that I never really explained any of this, but this is basically the current situation. Had I known that we'd be monthes without activity I'd have definitely made a more official announcement but I didn't expect the situation to degenerate to this level. It's not somethign I could have predicted with what I knew at the time.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

itsthewhinyguys
Your flair is displayed next to your posts, under your name.
First name: Your real name

Postby itsthewhinyguys » 8 months ago

I concur with everything LovelyPenguin said on this. Given the current explanation, I understand, and although I'm sad we won't get anything past a certain point, I still eagerly await the content that does come, whenever it does.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit.

LovelyPenguin
Penguinpenguinpen

All right, I understand. Thank you for clearing some of that stuff up. I'm still sad, of course, but I will try to enjoy what's left of the series, when it's posted.

Also, I really do want to thank you guys for what you have done. I have greatly enjoyed listening to this campaign, and through it I found a couple of new LPers I now enjoy in addition to you (Horikawa and Sturg). You guys all keep on bein' awesome. :)
- raocow

Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Postby Sturg » 2 months ago

HEY GUYS.

We're gonna be streaming a LIVE session in about 10 minutes!!!!!!!

I know this is last minute but come on down!!!

https://www.twitch.tv/horikawaotane
now let me into your cool gang

Filby
Gentlehobbit of Leisure
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Filby » 2 months ago

Horikawa asked for this, so...

Banged this out in about 10 minutes.
Filby's Place on Tumblr
The Creature Chronicle, my Pathfinder RPG blog

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess
First name: Servalan

Postby Horikawa Otane » 2 months ago

You can watch the stream as often as you like here, where it is stored as a 'highlight':

CLICK TO WATCH

It's unedited and raw, but hey - it's what we've got. Feel free to download this and cut it up if you like.

I'll be saving ALL the Cortex streams as 'highlights' so they will not be erased by Twitch automatically.
Watch my Butt on the YouTubes
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Ditocoaf » 2 months ago

Neat. This is a really great idea.
To err and err and err again, but less and less and less.

Xirix
The British Palindrome

Postby Xirix » 2 months ago

Attention, it would seem we're going to be streaming Cortex in like 5 minutes ish, get in here!

www.twitch.tv/horikawaotane

Sturg

Postby Sturg » 1 month ago

Hey so we'll be streaming another session in about 5-10 minutes.

Also it's going to be a HEIST session so it'll be fun!

kitikami

Postby kitikami » 1 month ago

I'm finally getting caught up on this series listening to episodes while I'm working (I'm currently at the start of the second season, where Caesar gets shot/dumped out of a helicopter by Big Boo Jones/Johnson), and I'd forgotten how much fun it is. Anyway, I was reading through the thread up to the parts I've watched, and this paragraph jumped out as basically Rezcow in a nutshell:
Horikawa Otane wrote:And remember when writing this, NO ONE thinks they're the villain. Their "Action" should never be to "be crazy" or "hurt others" or whatever. Even Hitler thought he was saving the world - if you want to make really interesting villains, you gotta make the central conflict between their own method of saving the world and your own. This hasn't come up too much in Cortex... Yet... But you can start to see some of it. Even in a less serious, joke campaign, these things are important because they engage the player's mind beyond 'this guy is bad, we must kill.' If your campaign isn't serious, it's important for making people memorable rather than generic villains.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Postby Horikawa Otane » 1 month ago

kitikami wrote:I'm finally getting caught up on this series listening to episodes while I'm working (I'm currently at the start of the second season, where Caesar gets shot/dumped out of a helicopter by Big Boo Jones/Johnson), and I'd forgotten how much fun it is. Anyway, I was reading through the thread up to the parts I've watched, and this paragraph jumped out as basically Rezcow in a nutshell:
Horikawa Otane wrote:And remember when writing this, NO ONE thinks they're the villain. Their "Action" should never be to "be crazy" or "hurt others" or whatever. Even Hitler thought he was saving the world - if you want to make really interesting villains, you gotta make the central conflict between their own method of saving the world and your own. This hasn't come up too much in Cortex... Yet... But you can start to see some of it. Even in a less serious, joke campaign, these things are important because they engage the player's mind beyond 'this guy is bad, we must kill.' If your campaign isn't serious, it's important for making people memorable rather than generic villains.
Man, that was clever of me. Good job, me of the past haha.

This appeared in my twitter feed last week. Long time viewers of Cortex will appreciate.

raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Shinoda
The Chick Magnet
Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby Shinoda » 1 month ago

Yuuus! I just discovered the highlights when browsing through the peeps I follow on twitch!

Since you do it live and all, is there a schedule you guys play or should I just check twitch notifications for those?
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Postby Horikawa Otane » 1 month ago

Shinoda wrote:Yuuus! I just discovered the highlights when browsing through the peeps I follow on twitch!

Since you do it live and all, is there a schedule you guys play or should I just check twitch notifications for those?
We start every Sunday arouuuuuuund 7pm-9pmish est? Go until whenevs.

Shinoda
The Chick Magnet
Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby Shinoda » 1 month ago

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Shinoda wrote:Yuuus! I just discovered the highlights when browsing through the peeps I follow on twitch!

Every Sunday arouuuuuuund 7pm-9pmish est?
Gotta listen to all of it all day to be there tonight then. Thanks!
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage

Sturg

Postby Sturg » 1 month ago

We Be Streamin' Again HEIST PART 2

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Postby Willhart » 1 month ago

Part 3 might be a tough one.
Starting a new LP Here. Do give the game a look if you find it interesting.

xface20

Postby xface20 » 1 month ago

Horikawa Otane wrote: This appeared in my twitter feed last week. Long time viewers of Cortex will appreciate.
Here's a sub-par quality gif that spins because I'm bad at gifs and photoshop hates me. But hey, it spins!

To answer a question from last stream, the car image is just a googled photo I threw into Illustrator and live-traced so I could scale it as a vector. I asked myself, "What's the most iconic 1980s American muscle car? Totally Burt Reynold's car from Cannonball Run".

So I did that.
ay.kay.ay. "ChibiDuo"

Xirix
The British Palindrome

Postby Xirix » 1 month ago

I don't think you linked the image properly mate, nothing's showing?

Return to “let's play”