(shouting)

The Mario Megathread

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Super Mario Bros. 3)

Post by Bean »

There's also another 1-Up trick in 3-9 if you take a shell from the start and bring it to where the breakable wall is. The two cannons that fire will get those lives going up in a big way... not that I think you need them since there are so many ways to get 1-Ups in this game!

(4) World 4 - Giant Land / Big Island

This is a funny place when you think about it. The gimmick here is that most enemies and objects have been supersized, yet the actual place itself is only second to the opening world for shortest in the game! The Sledge Bros. are the worst World 4 has to offer, but even they aren't that big of a deal, pun totally intended. It's the only world I recorded in one full go and only took a few tries to accomplish that feat, too, so enjoy the last easy world of the game because next time is when the difficulty curve goes up with the altitude.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

World 4 is such a nice breather after the hectic world 3. Of course, then comes world 5... ahahaha yeah that one's a thing.

More tidbits not covered in the vid which you probably know but which I'll mention anyhow... that red mushroom house to the left of the pipe just before stage 4-1 always contains a Tanooki Suit. I usually use the hammer from world 3 there instead of for the islands *in* world 3, given that they're mostly just generic stuffs. Also, something weird: stage 4-5, for... whatever unknown reason, has a secret exit that's completely inaccessible. If you were to pass through the wall on the right in the room with the Tanooki Suit via cheat codes, you'd find... a fully functional exit beyond it. It's not possible to reach, and it's not accessed from any other stage or anything. Quite why it's there is anyone's guess... but it is.

And... when I viewed this latest vid, it showed it had only two views. Which means I must've literally been the first person to see it, and caught it *just* after you posted this. Yay me.
Last edited by YelseyKing 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Never knew that about 4-5. Whoa. I also never have the hammer for that house in World 4, but I did know it had something good in it.

Anyhoo, I'm keeping these videos unlisted so I can have a buffer. Right now, only the first one's public. I've had to upload a couple of videos multiple times due to having too many errors in them which is natural since these things are so long, but yes. You were definitely the first and currently only person to watch that video so far outside of me, my brother, and Nintendo's little program thingy.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) World 5 - Sky Land / The Sky

This is where business picks up. The ground part of Sky Land is pretty fun and has a few stages that can be easily exploited, but once you touch down on the clouds, that's where you'll suddenly find Mario without much land to work with. Because of how simple the previous world was, I think this is the biggest incline on the difficulty curve in the whole game. From here on out, it's no smooth sailing... unless you're carrying a ton of P-Wings to show as many secrets off as you can remember. Still took me a few tries to get my sky legs going because we're officially in the harder half of SMB3 now.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

I don't have as much pointless trivia in response to this video as I did for the last couple... but I have a little bit.

Stage 5-1 was slightly different in the Japanese version. Where the exit is now, there was a wall with a pipe in it, which took you to the stage's end. This was changed to prevent a glitch: The exit (as accessed from the pipe) was originally placed on the same map as the secret room with the music box in it, just far lower and to the right, and if you were to use a P-Wing to fly up and over the wall on the left after reaching the goal area, you could walk *over* the structure and trigger the chest's appearance, which would then glitch up the goal for some reason. The exit is still *there* in the American version, but the card sprite is missing, so you can't exit the stage that way.

And... man. That fortress on the ground level. I always hated that one as a kid, and I'm still not fond of it today. It's much harder than anything else at that point in World 5 (and even most of the *sky* levels, which I always felt included *that* fortress as well), and the reward for completing it is... unimpressive, at best. If you're good enough to beat that stage, you probably don't *need* a shortcut that only lets you skip three easy (and fun) stages upon getting a game over.

Anyhow, good luck with getting the white mushroom house in world 6. I played the GBA version of SMB3 earlier this year, and world 6 and 7 were a bit of a thing in that regard.

Moists:

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

YelseyKing wrote: And... man. That fortress on the ground level. I always hated that one as a kid, and I'm still not fond of it today. It's much harder than anything else at that point in World 5 (and even most of the *sky* levels, which I always felt included *that* fortress as well), and the reward for completing it is... unimpressive, at best. If you're good enough to beat that stage, you probably don't *need* a shortcut that only lets you skip three easy (and fun) stages upon getting a game over.
I honestly don't think I've ever cleared that level as a child, only much later in my late teens when I played with emulation did I gave it an honest go.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

raocow wrote:I honestly don't think I've ever cleared that level as a child, only much later in my late teens when I played with emulation did I gave it an honest go.
I'm pretty sure I beat it at least *once* as a kid, mostly because I was curious as to what it actually unlocked, given that there were no locked doors or anything. Needless to say, when I finally *did*, my reaction could basically be summed up as a flat "...what." I'm just glad it's optional.

Basically, that reaction you have in your LPs when you complete a ridiculously hard stage in an SMW hack only to discover that all it does is loop back to a previous stage you've already completed? That was me, back then. :P

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, that one is a silly split. I mean, every kid's going to pick the level with the shoe when they get the choice. Same thing with the one in the sky. Who would want to do an auto-scrolling stage with small, moving platforms over an easy run to the end? Even without a star, 5-7's way easier than 5-6. At least World 6 has one split that rewards you for going through the harder level.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Bean wrote:At least World 6 has one split that rewards you for going through the harder level.
Unless you're playing the GBA version, at least. Which moved the path from 6-5 to the mushroom house to the left:

It's now completely pointless to do the harder 6-5! Hooray!

(Unless you want 100% completion, of course. Which SMB3 GBA keeps track of.)

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

YelseyKing wrote:Unless you're playing the GBA version, at least. Which moved the path from 6-5 to the mushroom house to the left:

It's now completely pointless to do the harder 6-5! Hooray!
You can tell I never played the Mario Advance games because that's news to me. Not too sure of that change since I always thought the whole point of that hard to reach Toad House was to earn a guaranteed Hammer Suit from it for your trouble. Now it's a freebie? Huh.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(Bonus) Warp Whistles & Multiplayer Mayhem

Time to take five and check out what will be missed in the main run. This video goes all over the place both in discussion and in the game itself thanks to discussing SMB3's warp zone system. Also wanted to show off how a co-op game works and that it can quickly turn competitive if things aren't going so well. My brother once again stops in to play the Battle Game mode in a five round face-off, and after that, I'll wrap things up by talking about how the game's a play which may or may not make sense, but who cares? It's a video game, y'all.

World 6 shouldn't be as long of a delay since it was already edited but not proofread prior to this one, but the final two vids still have a long way to go. I'm hoping to have this whole project done on the 27th, but we'll see.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

And my usual comments.

I always liked the two-player mode in SMB3, because it didn't *require* a second controller. If none was present, you'd just control both brothers, though I'm not sure if you could get into the battle mode stages that way. One little thing you didn't cover is that each brother has his own inventory, and it's because of this that doing a two-player game solo allows you to effectively carry 56 items instead of the usual 28. Because of that, I'd almost always play it that way as a kid.

Second... that warp whistle in the world 1 fortress. I'm not sure there's any in-game hints for that one. However, its location *was* shown off... in a movie called "The Wizard". Hokey as hell, but for those not in the know, that movie is famous for giving North America its first look at SMB3. Of course, like the rest of that movie, it was done in a cheesy way, in some kind of contrived tournament setting. Not only does the "hero" character, a game genius (of the type who just picked up games a week before and showed incredible skill at them, because movies) with [insert vaguely defined mental illness] prove he also has psychic powers by finding that whistle completely unaided, but despite being a premiere, the audience quickly gets into it and starts shouting hints at the player, pointing out where power-ups and 1-ups are. And the crowd would know this... how? Not to mention that the whole contest appeared to be about scoring points, but the "hero" immediately uses the whistle to warp to world 4, and suddenly his score just goes nuts. Like I said, the movie was kind of dumb. :P

And finally... I like how the whistle tune is the same one used for the recorder in Legend of Zelda. And the two items have the same basic effect, too. Nice touch.

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6) World 6 - Ice Land / Iced Land

We just had a world where it was easy to fall into a pit. Let's have another and throw icy conditions into the mix on top of that. Yeah, World 6 does not mess around in many of its stages. And even when the ice isn't a factor, many times something else will be equally annoying. You have one stage that's an underground maze that ain't fun for newbies, another where it takes last-second leaps off of falling platforms to earn the White Mushroom House, and so many enemies that are great at costing you your power-ups. At least the airship's easy? Yeah, we'll take that as the game's difficulty curve continues to rise from here on out.
Sasquatch
Don't mess with sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

YelseyKing wrote:And my usual comments.

I always liked the two-player mode in SMB3, because it didn't *require* a second controller. If none was present, you'd just control both brothers, though I'm not sure if you could get into the battle mode stages that way. One little thing you didn't cover is that each brother has his own inventory, and it's because of this that doing a two-player game solo allows you to effectively carry 56 items instead of the usual 28. Because of that, I'd almost always play it that way as a kid.
Heh, that's true. SMB3 probably has the best 2 player mode of any classic Mario game for those reasons. Still, an option to play as just one of them, like in the Lost Levels, would be nice. SMW definitely could've used it; I was always bothered a bit when I beat a castle as Luigi and the game still referred to "Mario".
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

YK's Comments Time!

Actually, I don't have a huge amount to *say* about world 6, really. I've always really *liked* it, though. Probably my favorite one in the game.

One thing is that I *think* the first Toad's House can contain a Hammer Suit, and given that you can win the game's third and final hammer from one of the Hammer Bros. in world 6, you could break the rock blocking the nearby pipe and farm for them on later versions of the game by reloading a save, since rocks stay broken. Not like there's a better use for that hammer. You could also do that with the blocked off Toad's House in world 4, for Tanooki Suits. Hey, trivia.

And for a couple minor things... That invisible coin block at the end of 6-7 is such a dick move; as I mentioned in the gaming thread when I played the GBA version a few months ago, you *need* that to get the white mushroom house, as I found out rather harshly when I got every coin *except* that one, and... didn't get it. Also: The unique-looking white 1-up in 6-3 is just a normal one in later versions. Boo.

Finally... there's a nasty glitch in 6-10 that once caught me as a kid. Fortunately, it's not likely to be triggered unless you really *try*. In the room with the Hammer Suit, if you happen to be Tanooki Mario, and turn into a statue as you grab the suit, you'll turn into some weird fusion of Hammer and Statue Mario. Sounds cool, but for reasons unknown, this hybrid suit can't enter pipes. Have fun waiting for time to run out! (And when I got caught by it as a kid, I was using a Game Genie code for infinite time... fun.) That said, you can turn into this hybrid at will with a debug trick (though you'd need another GG code or a hacked ROM to activate it), and it basically gives you a fully controllable Statue Mario, with all its perks: Invincibility and the ability to stomp/one-shot many enemies.

...and that turned out to be more than I expected. I ramble.
Sasquatch wrote:Heh, that's true. SMB3 probably has the best 2 player mode of any classic Mario game for those reasons. Still, an option to play as just one of them, like in the Lost Levels, would be nice. SMW definitely could've used it; I was always bothered a bit when I beat a castle as Luigi and the game still referred to "Mario".
Mm, yeah, that'd have been nice, especially if they played somewhat differently like they do in Lost Levels and later games. And if Luigi wasn't just a green Mario in SMB3.

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I think that glitch you're talking about in 6-10 is on YouTube. I remember seeing Mario unable to leave the room with the Hammer Suit after getting it.

(7) World 7 - Pipe Land / Pipe Maze

World 7's my favorite in the game as it has a lot of unconventional stages mixed in with others that demand a decent amount of skill from players. You have your mazes of bridge building and multiple paths, a couple of Star runs, and even a completely abandoned fort that will have you wondering where the exit is. So many great levels in this one. There's also 7-4, an underwater affair that has auto-scrolling. That was the absolute worst level for me as a kid because of how precise and fast you had to be. The other thing this absolutely final world has going for it are plants. They're all over the place. At least this is the end of our adventure once this land's liberated. Yeah, right.

See you next time for the finale as Bowser's back, and he's gone and kidnapped a certain someone again. Third time's not the charm, pal.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Not much to say about world 7... Other than the fact that I, like approximately everyone else who's ever played the game, hate 7-4 with a passion. Yup.

Well, all right. A couple things.

First, as I said back when I played the GBA version of the game a few months ago... The white mushroom house in 7-2 is so dumb. You *need* a Frog Suit to get it. It's not a bad *trade*, a Frog Suit for a P-Wing, but since SMB3 doesn't let you exit or replay stages, and items are limited, you basically only have one chance (or as many chances as you have Frog Suits) to get this one right, unlike all the rest... kind of questionable design there.

And second... while hardly *important*, it's surprising how many people I told about this over the years that didn't *know* about it... The music box item also puts the piranha plants (the ones that lead to sub-stages, not the decorative ones) on the map to sleep. Somewhat useful for skipping the one at the very end, given all you get for it is a mushroom. (Also, apparently, a unique sub-stage for Hammer Bros. in world 7 actually exists in the data... just, you know, never used since world 7 *has* no Hammer Bros.)

Finally... someone pointed this out on another forum I used to go to, but... take a look at the overall layout of the world 7 map... the landmasses are actually three warp pipes!

Anyhow, looking forward to world 8! This project has been a lot of fun so far!

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I never really took a look at the Pipe Land map in full like that before until now, but that person and you are right. Whoa. Ha-ha. Guess that's one more secret for the road unless you have some Dark Land knowledge nugget to throw my way!

(8) World 8 - Dark Land / Castle of Koopa

You finally finish saving all the Mushroom World that was the stage for our adventure only to have Bowser to show up and take off with Princess Toadstool again! Now that we're in the kingdom of the Koopas, you can bet dark times are ahead. Indeed they are as Mario has to take on Bowser's army, navy, air force, plus a ton of other traps and trouble if he wants to be the hero this time around. It's not going to be easy, but it sure is going to be a lot of fun. Honestly, this place is just behind World 7 for me in awesomeness, and it helps that there are so many memorable moments here including the final showdown with Bowser in his lair... whichever one you head to.

Thanks for the insight in a lot of your posts here, Yelsey. You and a couple YT people gave me some extra info about this game that I didn't know. I had a lot of fun with this project to the point where it was one of my favorite Mario series I've done to date. Hoping next year sees a few more of these games get played for you all. For now, though, that's that as Super Mario Bros. 3 is complete. Thanks for watching, everybody. Peace!

Super Mario Bros. 3 Coin Total: 2863 / Overall: 7912
Last edited by Bean 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

And so ends a fun nostalgia trip. I think this was my favorite of your LPs to date, and I'm already looking forward to the coming Super Mario Land 2 LP, whenever that may be. :P And as for my extra commentary here... glad you found it fascinating and informative! SMB3 is one of those games I have a lot of knowledge about, having played it a zillion times and delved deep into it via editors and other hacking attempts.

I don't have a huge amount to say about world 8, given the relatively straightforward nature of the world, and the fact that you already showed off much of what I'd have discussed, but... there's one very weird thing, which I learned from, of all places, a TV show about weird game secrets I watched as a kid.

The two Bowser chambers are actually connected. If you use a P-Wing, you can fly over the wall separating them. But there's a little more to it... in the variant reached by taking the lower route, if you fly up and over the wall to the left, walk about halfway to the other room beyond it, then turn around and return to the room you were in, Bowser will have inexplicably lost his fireball attack. Oh, he'll still *try*, but nothing will come out. And it's not just the graphics being invisible; he really doesn't shoot any fireballs. I've never been able to come up with a satisfactory explanation of why this glitch *works*, but it *does*... just, only in the NES version. And speaking of things only in the NES version... the "inventory full of P-Wings, post game" Easter egg is also only in the NES version.

And... since I didn't actually start really commenting on and providing odd little tidbits until world 3, I feel like I should go back and cover the first two worlds. Got a couple odd things to say there.

World 1:
-On the map, there's a rock just to the left of the second mushroom house, which looks like it could be broken if you had a hammer, as a shortcut past 1-5 and 1-6... but there's obviously no way to get a hammer in world 1... unless you're playing the All-Stars or Advance version! However... if you *do* bring a hammer here, despite that it *looks* like it should work, the rock won't break. This baffled me as a kid, until I experimented with an editor years later, and discovered that internally, there are several different "rock" objects in the world map tileset. Two of them are breakable (one revealing a vertical path, the other a horizontal one), and a third that's just decoration, and can't be broken. I guess they used the "decorative" one in world 1, figuring you'd never be *able* to use a hammer on it, and just kind of forgot about it when remaking the game. Minor, but kind of interesting.
-And here's a fun oddity: The START panel on the world 1 map contains a pointer, normally unreachable, to a completely unused level! You can access it if you use a Game Genie code that forces you to automatically start levels. There are actually, as that page I linked to shows, a whole mess of unused levels in the game. Many are either broken/unfinished/debug levels, or early variants of other stages (such as a variant of 1-5, and *three* variants of 1-6), but a few are completely unique. And the seventh unused level on that page is particularly interesting... it looks like an even crazier version of 7-4 was planned for world 6! *shudder* I'm... kind of *glad* that one was left unused.

World 2:
-Only one thing to say here, but it's kind of weird, as well. If you were to use a Game Genie code that lets you move anywhere on the world map, you can reach and (attempt to) enter the decorative pyramids scattered across the map, much like the one you can access normally. While doing so causes the game to crash for most of them, the one directly above the first mushroom house actually *works*, and leads to... a duplicate of the mushroom house below it! Hooray! Useless, but interesting, trivia.

Oh, and one more world 3 tidbit: The island chain the castle is on is modeled after Japan. Apparently that otherwise useless bridge on an inaccessible part of the island corresponds to a real-world bridge around that same location. And the castle is roughly where Nintendo's HQ is located... hence why the king of world 3 looks a lot like Mario.

So. That's the end of my trivia. Yay! :P

Like I said, looking forward to the next LP!

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (Super Mario Land 2 Stage Voting Time!)

Post by Bean »

YelseyKing wrote:Like I said, looking forward to the next LP!
And it'll be coming up sooner rather than later, but first, I wanted to make a SML2 stage voting vid since this game allows you to pick your path. If you don't want to watch a three and a half minute video but want to get in on the action itself...

Vote #1 and Vote #2 are right here.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

I voted, but I'll comment here, too.

I'd say... my "preferred" order would be... Tree -> Macro -> Turtle -> Mario -> Pumpkin -> Space. I've always felt like Space Zone was a pretty good climactic finish.

I assume, given the in-depth nature of your LPs, you'll also be showing off the hidden stages, as well as that sub-stage between Tree Zone and the hippo stage on the world map?

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah. In fact, the very first video will have the extra stage you're talking about since it was already recorded a couple of days ago. All the other secret levels will be done in their own zone's respective vid, so that makes things pretty easy for me. Hoping there aren't any half hour episodes in this series. I don't see it other than maybe one area because I remember this game being short even when messing around.
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins)

Post by Bean »

(1) Intro & Extra Stages

While this probably would've been smarter to do after Super Mario World since this game borrows a lot of elements from it and SMB3, I wanted a shorter game to go through before tackling that one. What this game brings to the table after going through the opening stage is a non-linear, pick your path type of playthrough featuring six worlds called zones. It's fun, albeit a bit on the easy side with a couple exceptions, but that's just what I want this time around. Hope you enjoy this bonne idée of the Mario series... or is that bunny day? And with that, I'll see myself out.

I'll probably let this one go live for everyone in a couple weeks, near the end of the month.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(2) Tree Zone

The Tree Zone is the general starting point for most players and was easily the winner of the first vote. The platforming and enemies are basic enough, and both coins and extra lives are all over the place. I could see some flubbing up the final stage of the world by not looking where they leap, but overall, this is one tree that shouldn't be too tough to tackle.

I'm going with a different strategy for this series by taking longer breaks in spots between text boxes at times. I want to give the game a chance to breathe for once, and to be quite frank, Super Mario Land 2 is a very easy game outside of two or three of the game's 32 levels. Won't stop me from flipping my spit over trying to translate non-translated names even with my Mario Wiki help, but man, screw the names of some of those foes in that beehive level. There. That was my real challenge for today.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) Turtle Zone

We go from climbing a tall tree to exploring the sea, only it's not as vast as you'd think. There are only three main stages in the Turtle Zone along with the one bonus stage. It's not really that difficult, as after all, it was one of the zones I put in the "easy zones" vote. At the same time, Mario will do his best to show me otherwise as there are quite a few times where we sort of played down to our level of competition here. I love the imagination of these stages though. The cove itself is standard, sure, but when have you ever seen Mario explore a submarine or the interior of a whale before? Nowhere. That's probably why I really like this game even though it's one of Mario's easiest adventures.