(shouting)

ASMBXT; Journey's end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Slit08

Re: ASMBXT; Postgame, raocow becomes a RaoMAN!

Post by Slit08 »

MrDeePay wrote:
Slit08 wrote:Indeed that's exactly what I was talking about. There's no reason to behave like that. Honestly would raocow do something like that? No! Many peeps here wouldn't act this way yet a few selected members tend to bash people or being incredibly rude when it comes to using words for criticism: alex or MrDeePay to name the two most prominent.
Next time, before you starting throwing around idiotic buzzwords about me such as some of the people on SMWC do, try understanding the context of what I'm doing. I just simply have higher standards for levels than what would be seen as the norm here (same for SMWC, but the bar at the Talkhaus is much lower) and an admittedly low submission guideline or "But raocow liked it!" (which is not an accomplishment, by the way) isn't going to stop me from commenting on their work. I do not expect people to meet the expectations I set for myself, that would be foolish, but I would like for people to at least not look like they slapped something together in their editor of choice. If you want people to hold your hand, stop looking at me. Most of the time I'm criticizing "someone", I am criticizing their work, not them.

"Would raocow do something like that?" There's no telling, to be honest, because he's inconsistent like Joe Flacco on a bad day, has poor tact (especially regarding SMWC-related junk), and a pushover. "I will defend this level even though it is blatantly terrible and the tone of my voice and reactions paint a completely opposite story!" "This level isn't even that bad even though I'm dying left and right in my own level due to stupid game mechanics I implemented into the level in the first place!" "Those meanies at SMWC called ASMT kaizo-like while I'm implying this crappy difficult contest level that is nowhere near being Kaizo is Kaizo!" If this wasn't directly associated with raocow (ie: any of his levels in this, Rupture in Reality) or the Talkhaus (ie: ASMT, AXMT, and A2MT by the looks of it), the reactions all around would be much different.
Yeah, maybe I was wrong. I sincerely apologize!
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
Trotim

Post by Trotim »

Isrieri wrote:I'm pretty dang sure Swampy Shy Shrine & Questionable Content are the best levels hands down. Certainly my favorites. Although Ascend was a good level too. There's a lot of good n' fun levels in this game!
It's pretty nice to see people still mention one of my levels. I dunno, I'm proud of Lethal Lava Cave and Swampy Shy Shrine but while making them I always felt they didn't really fit ASMBXT as a Talkhaus project. They're just "normal" Mario levels really. I spent way too long on them too for how simple and still kinda rough they are.

In the context of this being LP'd however I think the less edgy levels are definitely at a disadvantage. Nobody talks about the ones that went alright the first try. Nobody talks about the easy, short ones. But we go on about a silly glitchy gimmick for like 6 pages because it's easy to hate on it. And it elicits a much more pronounced response from raocow himself too. Both of these things make it more entertaining on a bigger scale

I think a big draw of the "Talkhaus SMBX collab" premise was that the levels would be janky and weird and there would only be limited quality control. Otherwise we could've just watched raocow play New Super Mario Wii or something which is a much more... uninspired game. That would've been less fun, right?
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Trotim wrote:
Isrieri wrote:I'm proud of Lethal Lava Cave and Swampy Shy Shrine
Damn right you should be proud of your levels! I especially loved Lethal Lava Cave and the music was wonderful. Hope to see more in A2MBXT
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Ishntknew wrote:
Luna Tower though I love love love.
This is my favorite level too, I don't really mind how long it is (with the cool multiple midpoint stuff) and I just really liked the concepts the level has to offer, plus the music is amazing.

Though the Reflection Part is just a tad too difficult for me...
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
Ishntknew wrote:I waited for the update of Tewi Eien Tewi before attempting it, and it kinda... only took me a few tries. I don't know what was changed, but it wasn't nearly the hellish experience I had been expecting, and to be honest was kinda forgettable.
We aren't going to have easy mode updates for the rest of the post game are we?
I don't think it was an easy mode update, more a "the level is actually playable now" update. When a video testing your level is called "oh for a world where people tested their own levels" then it's fair to say it has some pretty serious issues.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

uhm
What does the hint mean to restart at the fire place? spoiler I don't beat the level because I couldn't figure it out.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Which level. Luna Tower?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
kil3

Post by kil3 »

Push down on the third ledge
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

So the one with the first guy?

At the end of the video I'm pretty sad but after editing I realise how little I actually have to play to continue, haha.
kil3

Post by kil3 »

I was just going to say... technically all you gotta do is climb up that one room again!
raocow

Post by raocow »

It's still a good thing I ended, with super generous editing the video is still at half an hour.
Luna Tower is huge!!
And the meta-story really neat.
Chompie
Pronouns: she

Post by Chompie »

darkychao wrote:
Chompie wrote:I think Ascend is one of the best levels in the entire game.

I hate being late to the commentary party, but it's still true.
Have you played it? You might change your mind; the whole run through level you're not sure if continuing the run is worth it, for example: some runs right at the end you're just ahead of the lava and then you have to go down stairs and you die.
I'll agree that the full run is *slightly* longer than my nerves appreciate, yeah. The "Oh no, there's more?" thought does rear its head close to the end. XD

Here's some of what I love about it:
- The level asks a LOT of you, but it's not unreasonable. It doesn't ask for pixel-perfection. It doesn't ask for single-block hop after single-block hop (There are so many parts of the level that could have been made smaller and more fiddly, but that would not have made it a better level.) None of the obstacles require you to die to them before you can figure out how to get past (though the first shell-kicking koopa is pretty close to dickish, it's still something that is avoidable the first time if you're thinking lightning-fast).
- Its premise is divinely simple and understandable within an instant: Clear every obstacle as fast as you can. In a one-shot speed-run level, making your path forward clear is incredibly important
- Each time you die, you know what parts you need to do better. It is obvious what your mistakes are, and it's up to you to avoid them.
- That fucking caterpillar. That ONE caterpillar by the springboard is placed so lovingly and perfectly to screw you up if you're on autopilot. You must be paying attention to succeed. So many of the stage's enemies are placed with that kind of love and care.

I'm not really an exceptional video gamer, but I quite like difficult things. This is exactly the kind of thing I want.

Bonus point: Level has something to do with Homestuck without making me rage. I loathe Homestuck.
:catcrime:
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

when i saw the level name i imeediately thought HOMESTRUCK
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ishntknew wrote:Also I kinda have to object to this. From what I've seen, MrDeePay is very critical, but he's not a complete asshole about it. He just has high standards, and his critiques generally have some useful stuff in them!
I don't think DeePay is actually insulting when he comes to his criticism, he just comes across as a bit abrasive or harsh at times. And I definitely don't think he resorts to flat out insulting people, let alone for thinks that aren't even related to the subject at hand.
Pheonix
still the harpy guy

Post by Pheonix »

A bit late on this whole thing, but...

I really liked Final Fight; it feels like a proper final level, even if it isn't as difficult as the rest of World 8. I liked the boss the original version of the level had, since it still involved the key boss but was still a SHMUP-type deal. The newer version is probably more fitting, since it is a bit more like the actual Key Boss and all.

As for the two postgame world levels seen so far... honestly the ideas for them kinda save them, even if their implementation could really stand to be improved upon. Were it possible, I'd really like to see another iteration of USS Suboptimal with the walls replaced with enemy-only walls, thus making the level more an issue of just piloting the craft around.
Fluffy Quest... really, nothing I could say about it hasn't been said in here already. Were it not for the fact that jumping's completely messed up by the moving layers and that you're killed by phasing into the moving ground, I'd be perfectly fine with it.

Granted I'm the sort that would much rather play a janky level that does something new or interesting over a competently-designed level that really doesn't bring all that much to the table... but whatever.
[edit: my levels aren't really either well-constructed nor novel, but again, whatever]
Last edited by Pheonix 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
pheonix/feenicks/ffeenicxkcs
https://twitter.com/ffeenixcks
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Slit08 wrote:See? Now that's what I call constructive criticism. :) Yeah Fluffy Quest seemed kind of randomn. It's quite a good idea to put moving thigns in a hard platforming level, however it shouldn't be random. Randomness is a lackluster of good quality and only causes frustration for the wrong reasons and is considered fake difficulty. Moving platforms should be placed wisely as should the direction/ pattern they move. I think the level would have been greatly improved if a limited amount of well placed platforms would have moved with a certain speed and a certain pattern. This way it might make you feel sick and progression depends on luck!
I should have probably mentioned that nothing about the platforms is random. I got this effect by attaching the layers to a firebar. Since the land moves in a constant circle, you can get a very sizible boost by watching the background. The sheep though are for human standards quite random.
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:The sheep though are for human standards quite random.
Are the sheep re-sprited Tweeters by any chance? Seemed like it.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Isrieri wrote:
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:The sheep though are for human standards quite random.
Are the sheep re-sprited Tweeters by any chance? Seemed like it.
Tweeters don't jump as high as the koopa paratroopas
raocow

Post by raocow »

This wasn't shown in video but I did manage to accidentaly kill one sheep, and a shell flew off.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

My name appears to be not spelled correctly under my level, that was a nice surprise. :P

Also I quite liked the mirror section of Luna Tower, was pretty neat.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

A One-and-a-half level video today: an improvement in progress.

Seeing "Tewi Eien Tewi" being "easier" than world 8 levels makes me think how this was before the patches, but it's a postgame level nonetheless. "Laki-Demo" will all her cyclops friends made me laugh at how ridiculous the enemies look, but it's fitting for the entire level.
Just some platforming, dodging and enemy spam in this level, nothing gimmicky other than you're technically playing as Iris the entire time.
Overall a great relief and breather after the previous levels.

Looks like someone found a workaround for multiple midpoints in "Luna Tower" with secret warps: I think future levels should have these if needed. Seeing the 2/3 of the gimmicks this level has give me a good feeling that this level took a good amount of work to do all of this: of course, I've haven't seen the rest of the level so who knows. Seem that each room has a unique setup such as enemy generators in a vertical segment, and the "false vs true" segment.
I can't judge this yet but my first impressions is that the level has good pacing if you know how to handle each room and can be skipped with just knowledge of the secret warps.

I predict good times tomorrow for raocow.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

It looks like you had 25% of the level left, plus the secret exit. If you're having trouble finding the secret:
It's in the first screen. Be small, and look for a hidden block. Jump around, and you should find the secret exit.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

MrDeePay wrote:"Those meanies at SMWC called ASMT kaizo-like while I'm implying this crappy difficult contest level that is nowhere near being Kaizo is Kaizo!"
source
deepay grudge?
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Well, two levels, despite one of them being super-long and not yet finished.
Tewi Eien Tewi I heard was much harder. It still looks to be somewhat difficult, but after the first two levels it's a nice breather. Poor Demo, always having her green beets stolen by pesky rabbits named Tewi. :3
Also, that loading screen. If only it were easier to disguise filters, but sadly SMBX has no option like that. Of course, you could just pull a VIP and do an item filter like that, but of course you have to get it to drop out of the item box and everything... well, it's better than nothing!
Luna Tower... is that supposed to be a reference to something or is this whole thing purely original in terms of story? Nevertheless, it's sort of like Where is my sanity, The old library, and DemoWare in that it has a lot of different rooms that all have a different obstacle or gimmick, but compared to Where is my sanity where you have no chance at a midpoint and you're expected to do the whole thing in one run it's a bit easier, if WAY longer. Also, those Roto-Disks. Holy crap. How did you get them to do that so that Demo can just walk perfectly through them like that? Also, does that riddle mean anything like with the secret exit? I think drowning would be that pool of water in the first room, but the rest of it makes no sense to me.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

a typical case of fighting your own guy and suddenly his abilities are way different and stronger for some reason.