(shouting)

Megaman: Day in the Limelight - Robotic revolution practice

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
EiresWind

Re: Megaman: Day in the Limelight - Robotic revolution practice

Post by EiresWind »

I've gotta say, Fire Man's stage is probably my least favorite even if I like the individual gimmicks. It's tedious as hell for no particular reason, and there's way too much static waiting. One really egregious moment is what probably sells up half the stage's purported length and it's only two screens wide. There just isn't as much apparent thought put into the synching of different stage elements compared to the other five stages, so you wind up with sometimes unusable situations requiring you to wait another lengthy cycle until elements on three or four separate timers decide to line themselves up properly for you. Fire Man himself is fine as a playable character, and again, I like the stage's central gimmick concerning fire. It's just the execution that leaves something to be desired. The actual stage length itself is also a bit on the long-winded side. On the other hand, checkpoints are pretty generous even by this hack's standards, save an enemy-ladden stretch in the middle (which is actually my favorite section of the level, because it hinges almost entirely on timing and management, not standing in a glorified line).

As for the boss, I don't think you necessarily read these, but they're always here in case you want a hint.
Air Man is technically on the same tangents as his original self, but the battle's pacing and configurations are way closer to the Yellow Devil. You should treat him accordingly. Don't overwhelm yourself with short hops. You will be completely overrun when too many low to mid-low tornadoes come in a row. It's better to jump any of the two lowest groupings in one leap, like you would with the Devil in MM1. You really need to keep your eyes focused on Tornado Man's wall and the three pertinent tornado spawn points, or you're just gonna get overwhelmed by all the visual clutter. Be careful, too, since sometimes two tornadoes on the bottom levels will be spaced further apart than normal, making short hops the better option. It's really altogether a matter of learning each possibility and applying accordingly, and will take time.

Also, the battle is significantly easier to react to if you handle it from the middle of the arena instead of the wall. Just keep pacing yourself against the wind and reacting as best you can. The tornadoes speed up significantly past that point and subsequently grow in spacing, make the jumps a lot harder. The closer together and slower they are, the more of a chance you have. One last tricky configuration to watch out is a low and mid-level tornado grouped very closely together. You need to thread a precise needle there. Finally, every tornado can absorb one shot, so don't stop spamming. Good luck! This guy's a lot closer to Wood Man than Metal Man or Heat Man, in that it's just a difficult exercise in wits, but you don't necessarily get destroyed out of the gate. There's no cheap way through.
If you go with Bomb Man, mind, there's really zero to say except practice, practice, practice. It's a straightforward, crackerjack gauntlet from beginning to end, since Hard really speeds up the stage hazards, and the boss is... well, he is who he always is, no more or less of an asshole than usual. Which means he's a pretty big asshole. You're gonna learn to hate Hyper Bomb's arcs in the stage, but I'd say they serve you pretty well in the boss fight. I think even though he's just as big a bastard AI-wise, Bomb Man has a significantly easier time soaking damage into him given you take a hit. Aggression rewards.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Right as you beat Heat Man, I was saying to myself that you took that boss down pretty quickly.
raocow wrote:I got the boss corridor, it was what, twenty minutes in? Now it's one hour and eight minutes end... in.
Okay, maybe not. Also liked the Oyster throwback reference you made during one of the fights there.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

aaaaa you broke the boss. Still, good job for actually managing to break him because the timing required is kind of insane (or am I just terrible).

I think the intended way to fight him without being overwhelmed by the flames is to wait a few seconds before shooting him so that the flames despawn more quickly (He doesn't charge you until you hit him as you've probably noticed). At least that's how I did it and he became easy pie as soon as I realized that, after like 50 attempts where he literally destroyed me as I shot him as soon as I could.

EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

At 6:43, what killed raocow? I don't get it. Is it like in Super Meat Boy where if you don't put a block "inside" the saw launcher, the saw inside it will kill you?
raocow on "raocow":
raocow wrote:I like it all in small letters but I have to admit it looks pretty awkward left that way at the start of a sentence.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I think those tornadoes accelerate as they come to you, so if you're further away, then it's easier to dodge them.
Gargus

Post by Gargus »

While not having as many neat gimmicks as the Metalman Stage, I still liked Airman's stage.

And in all honesty, thirteen minutes for a boss ain't too bad, even if you didn't enjoy it.

Place witty "I Can't Defeat Airman" comment here.
Know me man, for I am...
The Doctor.
Ooo-weee-ooo...
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I don't know if you noticed raocow, but the tornadoes speed up after absorbing your fire shot.
Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing »

Regarding the "dancing" animation for Fire Man's shot, the idea is that both of his arms end in flamethrowers so he has to point both of his hands at his target and shoot.
fyredude.gif
Also, there's a couple of pixels that the guys forgot to make transparent in his jumping image. Nerr. :P
raocow wrote:Next LP project - the entire hunter/scorpion series in chronological order
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Fire Man has some of the best lines in Mega Man Powered Up. It's probably because of his voice actor more than anything else.
EiresWind

Post by EiresWind »

I never found micro-managing Air Man's tornadoes helped much. They come in cruel enough configurations a lot of the time that you'll still run a high risk of getting hit if they're traveling slower, and trying to thread individual shots into Air Man when he only take a unit of damage per is a nightmare. The shorter the fight the less opportunity you have to screw up. If you unload it can be over in a little over two cycles.

EDIT: raocow, when do you record the DitL videos? Is it like N!SMW2 where you do a session the day before you upload it, or do you just record during the evening and upload right after? Because I've been replaying this on Hard myself just for the fun of it and I hit a pretty major glitch in Wily 3. It can screw the level over, but it's not something I can warn you about without spoiling something cool I really don't want to spoil.

I guess the best way to go about it would be to post the problem in a spoiler tag the evening you're recording Wily 3 and you can come into the thread and click it when you get to the boss. It kinda can't be ignored but it involves the boss specifically so it'd be legitimately disappointing to give away that fight to tell you how to avoid the glitch.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I record the videos in the day that I upload them! Though this may change in the coming days but that's how it goes these days.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

quick question re: castel del wily

does it save between levels?
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

yes

AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

What's the bug? Just put it in spoilers now so it can be reported to Riverroad.
raocow

Post by raocow »

I didn't want one video to be randomly like ten minutes long in the series colon open parenthesis
raocow

Post by raocow »

Fair enough. I always assume that people kind of skip around, honestly!
raocow

Post by raocow »

Actually, let me answer this one honestly -

When I have cut-heavy projects I get a lot of comments asking what I was talking about during cut segments and whatnot. The large desparity in resulted video length gave me the opportunity to do a video 'for them'. I suppose it's kind of a terrible idea to do that in the middle of a series this way, but, well, yes.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Maybe you should have made yourself drunk to have funnier commentary?

Worst advice I've ever given.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
EiresWind

Post by EiresWind »

Here's the glitch in Wily 3. Do not click this until you get to the boss of that stage.
In the Flash Man/Bubble Man fight, if you kill Bubble Man last, the game will not count the stage as beaten and you'll need to redo the entire thing. You'll need to leave Flash Man for last.
This may have been fixed in a more recent release I didn't come by, but I downloaded the latest one I could find and that's where I encountered it.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

You were going on about water levels in the Bomb Man video here, and the reason why I always liked Mega Man water levels is because they're more or less anti-gravity stages that just so happen to take place underwater outside of the one in Mega Man 8 where you can actually swim, and I like that one, too.

I can understand not liking them in Mario or Sonic games where they change up what your controls do or how you play the game, but I've never really been against them. Donkey Kong Country taught me that there are good swimming levels that can be made. Just kind of an aside since you brought it up and all.

Also, I think Roo would have a field day with this one if he isn't busy with something else.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Alex wrote:That sorta contradicts your "just for shits" reasoning you had when you mentioned it in the video, though.
Don't worry, I've had moments like that in other videos too, I just edit those reasonings out~
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

I prefer uneditcow. If he could suffer through it, so can I.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
sharkoftheday
The World Goes "Meep"
Pronouns: she/her

Post by sharkoftheday »

The music was a bit too loud unfortunately and it kind of drowned out the speech.

But in this series the boss fights seem alot more relaxed and full of commentary than usual, or the presence of extensive commentary adds a more relaxed overtone. Almost as if it were a Let's Play Photoshop episode. Point being in that case, the lack of editing is more appropriate and potentially interesting than a full, unedited silentcow segment. Then again, I also tend to like post-commentary on levels also, so I may not use the most standard judging criteria.

Point: (It's evident that I'm enjoying these thought-filled episodes since they lend more ideas for posts!) It was said in the video that Bombman was an adjective rather than a noun. First, "to bomb" would be a verb and a bomb is a physical object, so did you mean to say it confused you that Quickman was an adjective (which I would suspect). Secondly, and more to the actual point, the word "quick" actually has a noun form that is a shortened form of quicksilver which in turn refers to the liquid metal mercury. I think it's usage in this sense is obsolete, but the level name struck me as a form of wordplay to describe the metallic bars as being made of quicksilver and also moving quickly.

...Note: I have never actually played any megaman games outside of mm5, so it's not like I had this thought when I was younger. This thought occurred to me watching the tas for mm2 some four or five years ago.

[/walloftext]
raocow wrote:the neon butterflies return once more from their blessed sleep;
there are no holes in the future, only death.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

The quick ('cut to the quick') is the sensitive skin under your nails. But we shouldn't get too wrapped up in Megaman etymology unless anyone can tell me what a horming torpedo is.
dont wanna jihad no more
sharkoftheday
The World Goes "Meep"
Pronouns: she/her

Post by sharkoftheday »

I always heard it as "cut to the chase", which makes equally little sense outside of the impression it conveys. I was going to respond to the second part in a witty way (as I just got to that part in mmx), but then it occurred to me that even Muramasa: The Demon Blade had at least one typo.

Except now I won't let myself not type this. (<-- A wild double negative approaches!)
One of my two favorite lines in Chrono Trigger,
Am I butterfly dreaming I'm a man, or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of sashimi? Never assume that all you see is real.
is actually a complete revision/censorship of the original text. The translation of the original text found in the Chrono Compendium actually has Doreen saying
The world you see with your eyes and the world I see with my eyes may be completely different things. Listening? All that exists in the universe are the destinies of lives. Don’t think that only what you can see and touch are reality.
As a result of learning this, I now have a new favorite line. OuO
raocow wrote:the neon butterflies return once more from their blessed sleep;
there are no holes in the future, only death.