(shouting)

Megaman: Day in the Limelight - Robotic revolution practice

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Mineyl

Re: Megaman: Day in the Limelight - Robotic revolution practice

Post by Mineyl »

That was a pretty fun boss, not gonna' lie.

Also, while watching raocow get slaughtered over and over, I realized that this game is missing two things that make Megaman more balanced and generally more fun: weaknesses and e-tanks! Of course, their absence is offset by the fact that you can have infinite lives, but having to essentially "buster only" every boss is kinda' crippling and un-Megamanly. Perhaps the ability to switch between robot masters would have added more depth to the game.

Nevertheless, I have to retract what I said earlier in a previous comment. This game has been pretty nifty, and I'm looking forward to the next three stages. raocow, do you have any plans to play the sequel? It apparently exists!
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I think it's better without E-tanks and Weaknesses. Those things are more like "Now it's easy" than anything. This game is more about overcoming weaknesses. For me it's megaman without most of the things I don't like about megaman.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

I completely understand that point of view. E-tanks and weaknesses are broken on some level, particularly when you can collect nine e-tanks (and an s-tank/m-tank to boot) or when a boss falls in less than six hits to his weakness (or we go into MM7/8 and X territory and have bosses flinching to their weaknesses or getting neutered altogether), but I still think they could be included in balanced qualities.

For example, Megaman 2 only allowed for four e-tanks at a time, and they disappeared with game overs and you couldn't revisit any stages to stockpile them. You really had to be very good at the game or consider them heavily before potentially wasting one. With weaknesses: I don't think it would be bad if a boss suddenly went from taking 28 hits to kill to 14 hits. Particularly Heatman. Going from 14 hits to 7 would be more overkill, though; this isn't Mario, after all.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Fapnoob

Post by Fapnoob »

I wonder what bubbleman would do if flashman dies first.
EiresWind

Post by EiresWind »

Continue about his usual pattern, disappointingly.

raocow, the next stage is a real mother on Hard. I hope the difficulty doesn't wane the awesome concept. Just go in accepting it's probably going to require some specific shot charting or some decent luck with health drops. Don't forget you can spam your ammo in some specific, very useful situations if you time it properly. Fast fingers really help weed the chaos a little. Also, it's really worthwhile to give the stage some test runs from behind your shield. You need to come out from behind its safety less often than you'd think, so knowing where you can just relax is helpful.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So Elecman gets to fight three Robo Masters.

Lucky guy :mrgreen:
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Riverroad

Post by Riverroad »

The next couple bosses are not going to be quite as hard as the Bubbleman/Flashman combo. Those two are a little out of place on the difficulty scale. The upcoming stages make up for it though.
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

You're going to upset Yoshi's Fan with those kinds of massive spoilers, riverroad![/joke]
raocow on "raocow":
raocow wrote:I like it all in small letters but I have to admit it looks pretty awkward left that way at the start of a sentence.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Welcome, Riverroad! Join the game creators club. :)
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Wow the creator. This hack has good level design and ASM but you seem to have problems with sprite limitations. With a little work, I'm sure it will be accepted at SMWCentral.[/joke]

Plz ignore my user name, a mod is being stupid.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

This stage was the worst for me because it took me like 10 minutes to find out there was a shield at the back of the tank. Also these infinite falling gears UGH

Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing »

I keep imagining that one time, raocow's going to jump through a boss gate, and there will be a spike placed just in position to kill you just for jumping through the boss gate. Then another part of me thinks about it, and believes that thing must happen all the time in real Mega Man rom hacks, and it's like the equivalent of killing Mario after hitting the goal tape in that community.

I also pictured Guts Man to be the guy to fight the final boss, because the mobility issues would have been an interesting kind of hell to put up with on that fight.
raocow wrote:Next LP project - the entire hunter/scorpion series in chronological order
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

No you stupid shit wrote:Wow the creator. This hack has good level design and ASM but you seem to have problems with sprite limitations. With a little work, I'm sure it will be accepted at SMWCentral.[/joke]

I just realized that future people will have no clue what you're talking about when/if your name gets changed back, so I'm quoting this message so that it shows your current username.

You're welcome, future people.
raocow on "raocow":
raocow wrote:I like it all in small letters but I have to admit it looks pretty awkward left that way at the start of a sentence.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

EagleEye wrote:
No you stupid shit wrote:Wow the creator. This hack has good level design and ASM but you seem to have problems with sprite limitations. With a little work, I'm sure it will be accepted at SMWCentral.[/joke]

I just realized that future people will have no clue what you're talking about when/if your name gets changed back, so I'm quoting this message so that it shows your current username.

You're welcome, future people.
How far in the future do you expect people to still be reading this? I know I don't read year old LP threads. Actually know that I think about it, the ASMT thread might have some content.
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

I read old LP threads all the time. Admittedly, those threads are on SA, not here, but I'm sort of paranoid about losing information of any kind due to various stupid reasons.
raocow on "raocow":
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

I thought that part where you broke the boss was awesome.
raocow on "raocow":
GauRocks

Post by GauRocks »

GauRocks wrote:I wish I had watched yesterday's video before today's came out, because I had successfully predicted Ice Man for this level and wanted to take a stab at all of them.
Wily 1 was Cutman because the dragon is weak to boomerangs.
Likewise, Wily 4 is Bombman because the walls are only vulnerable to explosions
Wily 3 has to be Gutsman because... seriously. There's only one robot who can fight the Guts Dozer.
Wily 6 is Fireman, because Wily's got some fire and bubble weaknesses and we only have one of those.
Of the remaining two, Elecman makes more sense in the Wily 5 refights where he can't hit multiple targets
And Ice Man gets Wily 2, where freezing the boss could make for some interesting moments. It didn't happen, but freezing the entire game, that's pretty good too.
I would like to say that although all of my numbers were wrong because of Elecman's placement, the logic was perfectly sound. Gutsman did go up against (and get to drive!) the Guts Dozer, Bombman got to deal with the Crashman walls, and Elecman had to fight multiple robot masters.

Out of curiosity to Mr. Author Guy, why was Wily 3's boss in the middle there? Even if the refights are moved to Wily 6 now (which raocow seems to expect but I'm not so sure about), having the two "missing" robot masters at the end of Wily 5 feels like it would work better as a parallel to the original.
sharkoftheday
The World Goes "Meep"
Pronouns: she/her

Post by sharkoftheday »

I'm not sure if I have anything to add to this, good job at encountering another game-breaking exploit. Any more and this will just get silly.

Though to be fair, it was near the end of figuring the boss out regardless. Also, is the falling in complete silence retained (after wily's first form)? Even after seeing it 10-20 times I still find that bit just slightly creepy and ominous and am curious to see what interesting things can be done with it.

Speaking of the association of game music to emotions (as specific emotional triggers), I doubt that I will ever be able to listen to Geothermal [Cave Story] and not be slightly saddened.
raocow wrote:the neon butterflies return once more from their blessed sleep;
there are no holes in the future, only death.
Vector

Post by Vector »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
How far in the future do you expect people to still be reading this? I know I don't read year old LP threads. Actually know that I think about it, the ASMT thread might have some content.
When I watch one of rao's old LPs I like to read the talkhaus thread along with it. Mostly cause lots of threads have the game makers in there talking about how they made their games, and that's pretty cool.
Last edited by Vector 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

I guess since other people have chimed in, I might as well say I go back and read old LP threads when I'm watching that LP, as well (keep in mind that I only started watching raocow in January 2011 because of SMWCP initially). Why, just recently I watched his playthroughs of Spelunky and An Untitled Story, and I enjoyed combing the threads for both along with the watching.
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

raocow LPed Spelunky? Wow, I need to go further through raocow's backlog sometime.
raocow on "raocow":
Riverroad

Post by Riverroad »

Out of curiosity to Mr. Author Guy, why was Wily 3's boss in the middle there? Even if the refights are moved to Wily 6 now (which raocow seems to expect but I'm not so sure about), having the two "missing" robot masters at the end of Wily 5 feels like it would work better as a parallel to the original.
The third stage is the only Wily stage with water in it and I wanted to have the stage with the Bubbleman/Flashman fight to be filled with enemies from their original stages. Also, it allows anyone playing the game to get used to the water physics again before having to get past a very tough underwater boss.
I'm not sure if I have anything to add to this, good job at encountering another game-breaking exploit. Any more and this will just get silly.
The worst part is that I actually did realize that the boss could be broken like that, but just figured that the contact damage from the boss would kill anyone who tried it, except on Easy difficulty. Guess who forgot to make the Buebeam Trap's contact damage higher on Normal and Hard difficulties. :roll:

And as it turns out, the Gutsdozer fight is breakable too. If you put Gutsman right next to his shield and drop boulders down, the boulders will break apart on top of the wall, and one of the pieces will go right into the Gutsdozer's face. He will try to block the small pieces.

This is not exactly a well planned game.
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

EagleEye wrote:raocow LPed Spelunky? Wow, I need to go further through raocow's backlog sometime.
I find it funny going back to a December 2010 raocow video and hearing him mention how in a few months to a year he might play Super Meat Boy. That was for some reason the last thing I expected. I also find it weird how different the audio sounds.
raocow on "raocow":
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

It is probably the most succesful LP of Spelunky in history!

Only thing missing was a city of gold run.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Didn't he play Spelunky twice?