(shouting)

ASMT: Hey there raocow, here be everybody.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Garlyle

Re: ASMT: Hey there raocow, here be everybody.

Post by Garlyle »

and already we got a level entirely based around a simple gameplay mechanic
Ah, what a way to put it XD

SPOILER is Developper Commentary for "I Need To Breathe"... if anyone should care.
I remember hearing from... I think it was raocow, that water levels are usually really kind of boring levels, frankly. For me, it was my first time working with Lunar Magic, so doing stuff like relying on custom graphics and blocks was out of the question, and I had a water level to work with.

So I decided to try to do something to make it a bit more exciting and memorable, and "I Need To Breathe!" is what I came up with. I think there was also a lot of challenge going on around here at the time about whether you can make something good with pure vanilla or not, and I wanted to see if I could pull it off after watching [insert number here] hours worth of romhack LPs, even if it was my first time working with the program. I just took simple lessons I had learned from what I didn't want to see in a level (Such as making sure to vary up what the player would be facing) and built it like that.

To those out there hoping to make a romhack but aren't sure if they'll be any good at it, I hope this shows that just by applying some logic and observation to what you've seen and didn't like, you can create something that you do like.
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

I always did like that water level, gave a sudden sense of panic to world one.
crushawake

Post by crushawake »

I wonder if raocow will remember that gimmick Darkbuu brought back in from Vip4...
Also, darn, it feels weird only one raocow video per day. :lol:
If you need a hand with Mario Romhacking in some way, feel free to PM me. I'll try and answer. <3
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Really liking this 'developer commentary' thing, by the way.

I think the main difference is that a lot of people make water level about methodical movement, while yours is 'argh go fast go fast whatever swerve around things!'
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Garlyle

Post by Garlyle »

raocow wrote:Really liking this 'developer commentary' thing, by the way.

I think the main difference is that a lot of people make water level about methodical movement, while yours is 'argh go fast go fast whatever swerve around things!'
Hahah, yeah, that was the intent 8D

I hope other level designers drop in some commentary of their own in one form or another, because there's a great deal of levels worth having some commentary for 8D
Kil

Post by Kil »

Garlyle wrote:
and already we got a level entirely based around a simple gameplay mechanic
Ah, what a way to put it XD

SPOILER is Developper Commentary for "I Need To Breathe"... if anyone should care.
I remember hearing from... I think it was raocow, that water levels are usually really kind of boring levels, frankly. For me, it was my first time working with Lunar Magic, so doing stuff like relying on custom graphics and blocks was out of the question, and I had a water level to work with.

So I decided to try to do something to make it a bit more exciting and memorable, and "I Need To Breathe!" is what I came up with. I think there was also a lot of challenge going on around here at the time about whether you can make something good with pure vanilla or not, and I wanted to see if I could pull it off after watching [insert number here] hours worth of romhack LPs, even if it was my first time working with the program. I just took simple lessons I had learned from what I didn't want to see in a level (Such as making sure to vary up what the player would be facing) and built it like that.

To those out there hoping to make a romhack but aren't sure if they'll be any good at it, I hope this shows that just by applying some logic and observation to what you've seen and didn't like, you can create something that you do like.
Yeah that's a cool idea. I was thinking the same thing for
mine, so my water level is pretty damn fast too.
I want to hear more developer commentary from the guys who made their levels. Especially the guy who made that worm level.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I liked these two levels.

The end

Edit: Ok, I kind of think the bridge building part with the lava below can be kind of a pain if you're big, but other than that yeah they're alright
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

Out of curiosity, raocow, are you going to mention the name Iris in the hack at all as a "by the way?"
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
Garlyle

Post by Garlyle »

Actually I'm probably just forgetting things, but is there -any- underwater levels that don't use speed and excitement to some degree? There's 1.5 underwater stages in That Place which are full of danger and OH GOD OH GOD and almost every other water-based stage only uses partial water rooms or tides...
Last edited by Garlyle 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
McGack

Post by McGack »

the cat planet reference was nice :lol:
Woah an entertaining water level!!! what is this madness?!
at 7:36 its all And now for something completely different! the lava worms were hilarious btw
Charlie's glue factory is bound to be an adventure filled with happiness and glue and Charlies

Say why did raocow begin calling them Charlie anyway?
Machoman

Post by Machoman »

Actually I hate bridge building, but I put it in my level too see if I in some way could make it more exciting. So I thought of western movies were they say: "Dance, DANCE!!" and started shooting on the ground close to someone's feet. So the worms became the gunshots. :)
StarkMaximum

Post by StarkMaximum »

McGack wrote:Say why did raocow begin calling them Charlie anyway?
Their real name is Chargin' Chuck, in Peanuts, Pepperment Patty calls Charlie Brown Chuck, so raocow inverts it by calling Chuck Charlie.
raocow wrote:I'M SO GOD DAMN WACKY
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

So, hey, dude with a name hard to remember that made the overworld music.

HOLY CRAP I love the Forest OW theme.

Like, "I'd put this in a top X list of favourite snes song" love.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Garlyle

Post by Garlyle »

raocow wrote:So, hey, dude with a name hard to remember that made the overworld music.

That'd be either Prsnth or Kil, I think?

I forget who composed it, but yeah, the original music for this game is bloody fantastic. Personally, I'm a ridiculously huge fan of one of the themes in a later world, but yeah.

Sadly, one thing we couldn't get working in time was a patch to have different music based on location for the Large Overworld, so a couple tracks had to be cut out (There was originally going to be one track for each world, but more than one world is present on the large overworld map). I'm sure there's recordings of the music somewhere that we can link you to when you arrive in those worlds, though, so you can give it a listen.
SpikyRat

Post by SpikyRat »

StarkMaximum wrote:
Their real name is Chargin' Chuck, in Peanuts, Pepperment Patty calls Charlie Brown Chuck, so raocow inverts it by calling Chuck Charlie.
Holy duck, raocow read Peanuts?!?! :shock:

To copy what I said on YouTube: cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet

I hate you all.
Kil

Post by Kil »

raocow wrote:So, hey, dude with a name hard to remember that made the overworld music.

You better get ready for world 3 and 6 then. Also for the record prsnth made all the ow music except world 8.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

SpikyRat wrote:
StarkMaximum wrote:
Holy duck, raocow read Peanuts?!?! :shock:

Uh, hate to be a killjoy, but I think it more has to do with the fact that both "Chuck" and "Charlie" are nicknames that are often given to people named Charles, and raocow just switched one for the other, rather than it being a specific reference to something in particular. <_<

</hurr durr me taking something like the origin of "Football Charlie" seriously>
kilon

Post by kilon »

By the way, psrnth why did you remove the high quality versions from your youtube channel (except world 1)

Because yes, there are non-snes limited versions of the OW songs by prsnth and they are 10000 times better even. Good enough to just listen to for the sake of listening to it.
Bladed Lightning

Post by Bladed Lightning »

So the angry fish is a chicken of the sea (pun not intended) according to raocow?
Last edited by Bladed Lightning 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raocow wrote:Oh well uh...that does not advance my progress though it does heal me up for which I'm thankful.

Thank you Mr. ball-o change-o. You get my prayers which I do by 69ing with myself.
prsnth1111

Post by prsnth1111 »

kilon wrote:By the way, psrnth why did you remove the high quality versions from your youtube channel (except world 1)
Oh...they will be reuploaded...just had to do some modification to the pictures. But yeah, if anyone cares I do have higher quality versions, here is world 1 loop.

Thanks for the music compliments...though it should be mentioned that my OW loops pale in comparison to the amount of work Kil and others put into music porting and stuff. (not to mention the 2 OW loops by Kil that weren't used due to technical issues)
Last edited by prsnth1111 14 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Garlyle

Post by Garlyle »

prsnth1111 wrote:
kilon wrote:By the way, psrnth why did you remove the high quality versions from your youtube channel (except world 1)
Oh...they will be reuploaded...just had to do some modification. But yeah, if anyone cares I do have higher quality versions, here is world 1 loop.

Thanks for the music compliments...though it should be mentioned that my OW loops pale in comparison to the amount of work Kil and others put into music porting and stuff.
Holy jesus christ that's gorgeous. You should upload them as raocow clears each world and link them here, as a neat little bonus for him and and the rest of us XD
DavidisDave

Post by DavidisDave »

Haha, yay for cat planet yoshi!
kilon wrote:You know,the Worms' Cave has one of the rare moments where bridge building actually is a challenge and fun at the same time.
I completely agree, I thought this when I was watching. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone do it this well before.
The water level was also really awesome. Trying to rush past the chickens seemed super cool.
The wealth of creativity and talent on the talkhaus is amazing.
AirPump

Post by AirPump »

I had a dream last night that raocow was taking a break entirely from LP'ing and someone else was doing some hack related to him or something.

Wow, I can't believe that one video description comment raocow wrote ended up as part of a dream.
[AOD]

Post by [AOD] »

What the hell is "Cat Planet"??

??~[AOD]
Officially voted MOD-IN-ABSENTIA by Talkhaus election 2014.
Yuoaman

Post by Yuoaman »

The cat planet thing was hilarious.
raocow wrote:Really liking this 'developer commentary' thing, by the way.

Yeah, the level made me really stressed as you were playing it. It was like: "Oh god, raocow, dodge the chickens! DODGE THEM FASTER!" And then you did... and I smiled.