(shouting)

ASMT: Hey there raocow, here be everybody.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Terry von Feleday

Re: ASMT: Hey there raocow, here be everybody.

Post by Terry von Feleday »

Man, it's only when I watched the video that I realised I haven't been here in like forever.

The hack looks real nice so far, I think I'll actually play it myself once it is released. I don't really see why people would be bothered about the story, sure it's a lot compared with other Mario hacks, but it's not like this is Metal Gear Solid or anything.

Also hey my name sorta almost got used in a video now I can feel all super-important like
Supernova

Post by Supernova »

I'm not a big fan of storys in hacks (see Randorland) but this has been very good so far! I like long intros as long as the story is funny (and this one is) and it doesn't interrupt the game after every level with 30 screens of text. Really looking forward to seeing the levels, although there are bound to be some mediocre or "bad" ones as well as amazing ones in it. Awesome work everybody :)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Supernova wrote: although there are bound to be some mediocre or "bad" ones as well as amazing ones in it.
This may sound weird, but it's this aspect that I love so much about the VIPs.

Though here's to hoping the lowest of asmt doesn't reach as low as the lowest of the Vips.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

Isn't that music in the Crossroads to the Red Switch (CTTRS) from Chapter 2 of Paper Mario (N64)?
CyclopsDragon

Post by CyclopsDragon »

raocow, I posted a comment on the video saying the same thing, but that switch palace didn't exactly require two people. I couldn't hack to save my life back then, so I designed it in Paint and then Kincyr actually made it for me :P
Writing my music, all day long; there's a cute ol' goopa, he goes in my song!
WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP DR. ZOIDBERG
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

Looks like there's a pretty disappointing flaw with the demo counter...
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
kilon

Post by kilon »

Yeah, but apparently it messes up the death routine and therefore isn't working correctly.

So let's just say every time you fall in a hole is science. even when it looks like a demo.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

kilon wrote:So let's just say every time you fall in a hole is science. even when it looks like a demo.
Agreed.
Supernova

Post by Supernova »

raocow wrote:
Supernova wrote: although there are bound to be some mediocre or "bad" ones as well as amazing ones in it.
This may sound weird, but it's this aspect that I love so much about the VIPs.

Though here's to hoping the lowest of asmt doesn't reach as low as the lowest of the Vips.
Well, there are different kinds of bad/mediocre and I hope that no level is annyoing-bad. The bad levels in the VIP series were sometimes really really really bad but I loved them too, so I hope it's the same with ASMT. And I have very high expectations for the awesome levels and especially the last worlds
Kiniko

Post by Kiniko »

kilon wrote:Yeah, but apparently it messes up the death routine and therefore isn't working correctly.

So let's just say every time you fall in a hole is science. even when it looks like a demo.
Well, there's a difference between a demo and science. A demo is used to show us something that he knows will happen that should be avoided, and science is used to investigate the outcome of something that he doesn't know.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

I think it has more to do with limitations at the time of this production, Kiniko.
NaturesFoulChild

Post by NaturesFoulChild »

raocow wrote:
NaturesFoulChild wrote:<cries softly in the corner>
Dude, I have ALWAYS favoured hacks over anything else. And I used to only do one series at a time, I want to get back to that, reclaim some of my time for other things.
I didn't think you'd respond to that. And certainly didn't think you'd respond to that in such a tone. It's almost as if you accused me of not allowing you to reclaim that time of yours, cheese...

I wanted to write something else here, but if you took that seriously as well, then I'd be the new 'most hated guy on the forum'... :|
By foul design.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

Ahh, sorry man, it's a misunderstanding!

I guess it doesn't really happen here, but there ARE people who send me youtube pms borderline begging me to do non-mario things!

A person's joke, can be someone else's reality!
NaturesFoulChild

Post by NaturesFoulChild »

It's ok :]

But, wait - so you're saying, that asking you to do non-Mario things is bad from definition?

EDIT: Not to be misunderstood again, you'll do whatever you want and stuff, I'd just like to know what's up with that (and yes, I know SMW stuff is a priority, but I didn't know LPing other stuff was unpleasant to you or whatever..?)
By foul design.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Mt.Rugged Music? I'm loving this hack already!

Also, now we're getting back in the groove of levels and commentary. I won't hold my breath for 24 hours, but I agree that replacing the P-Switch music with that Yoshi Island switch click track was pretty neatly executed.
video games
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

I'd say castle number one is the first bona fide filler level. Just sayin'.
Garlyle

Post by Garlyle »

I was about to deny that then remembered, I can't remember castle 1 at all...

...But with that said, I think there were only ever one level that I ever came away from thinking "Man, that was... (swearwords)," but it was more due to what I found to be utterly obscene difficulty (But apparently is still in the 'feasible in one shot' range).

There's a lot of stages that are rather generic and forgotten sort of quickly, but very rarely do I think you'll ever not find something to enjoy in the process, and even the 'filler' levels seem to be designed solidly enough that it doesn't bother you too much in the end.

That was my experience as a tester though, and that's only talking about the negative. There were a couple spots in the game so good I actually had to stop for a few moments and just drink it all in. So you've got a lot to look forward to.
raocow

Post by raocow »

NaturesFoulChild wrote:It's ok :]

But, wait - so you're saying, that asking you to do non-Mario things is bad from definition?

EDIT: Not to be misunderstood again, you'll do whatever you want and stuff, I'd just like to know what's up with that (and yes, I know SMW stuff is a priority, but I didn't know LPing other stuff was unpleasant to you or whatever..?)
It's not a bad thing at all. I suppose it's all in the execution - a lot of people sometimes just pm me and litterealy the only thing I see 'hey when are you going to play something not mario'. That's just... No, come on. Now, if you pm me with an actual suggestion, pm me saying 'hey, you should check this out, I think this would make a good lp because of x and y', THEN I'm all ears!

It's all in the 'how'.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Funny that the first castle would get called a filler level, when in truth it was just one of the earliest levels to be submitted, so whether or not it's good or bad it by definition cannot be filler. Also I never thought it was that bad, and the boss
was pretty funny as far as subverting the normal custom sprites you get in most hacks these days, insofar as normally you'd have to wait for them to spawn a goomba or something, but in this fight you just jump up and stomp on them.
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
McGack

Post by McGack »

say is most of the music custom made? i dont recognise it anywhere, also 3 vids in and were already at page 6!!! :shock: Doubling ASMT output seems like a good idea but why would you call it a pause to LPing?
prsnth1111

Post by prsnth1111 »

I wouldn't say *most* of it is custom made but there is a lot of original music and original ports. The OW music and the music in my two levels are original, for example.
Last edited by prsnth1111 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Garlyle

Post by Garlyle »

McGack wrote:say is most of the music custom made? i dont recognise it anywhere, also 3 vids in and were already at page 6!!! :shock: Doubling ASMT output seems like a good idea but why would you call it a pause to LPing?
The overworld music is all original.

Almost everything else is ports, I think, but with that said, a huge amount of it was ported specifically on request for ASMT and hasn't been in other mario hacks yet.

At the very least, by the way, I'm glad you're having fun with the title of my level XD
raocow

Post by raocow »

A personal request:

Can y'all refrain from giving personal opinions on a level before we get a public video about it? I'd like to have a 'blank slate' mind before tackling each one, you know?
kilon

Post by kilon »

We'll just use spoiler tags whenever we feel like doing just that, okay?
Or just wait until that certain level has been recorded, does that matter to you?
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Spoiler tags, A.K.A. Discriminate Against raocow Tags. :P