(shouting)

MaGL X2 - Cat Planet × Pokemon OTP

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Re: MaGL X2 - Horikawa x Updating the Thread OTP

Post by FrozenQuills »

Wow that was a really neat boss Windslash! It was a bit difficult but I loved the varied and random attacks, they were super cool.

...but...
It looks like I did end up winning MaFAB after all. WOW. I still can't believe it, and now all of these shoe posts are going to haunt me until the end of time...

But yeah, dev commentary below:

I don't think raocow got the reference, but I based the boss on this old MaGLX level, "What Blue Box?" by Anshwo. It was rather forgettable but it left a bit of a plot potential due to how people pretended that the blue boxes don't exist or something, but they were used for something important. Considering one of the cards I got was a snow forest, this was the perfect place to start a concept for a Question Block boss.

So yeah, I made all of this in one day. It was made with a combination of vanilla events/layers and lua for the transitions and attack card texts. I had to get creative as to how the cards are used since some of them like Mana Short or Soul Burn are really weird. In fact, the reason why I put the "this boss made no sense" message at the end is because I thought the judges would not understand the card usage at all, but it looks like that's not the case! Hahah.

I made Mana Short an attack that limits the character's ability to jump and move since the card text says that it empties a mana pool, which usually means limit your ability to actually do things.

Serpent Assassin was rather obvious; snake blocks and goombas trying to "assassinate" you.

Azorius Keyrune was also easy: white and blue flying creature? Obviously flying koopas.

Furnace Whelp was pretty hard to figure out an attack for, but I decided to have fireballs fly offscreen and have the player imagine that the whelps are offscreen, lol.

Soul Burn was also hard, and I thought no one would get this one, but it turns out the little sparky things kind of look like souls so I used them.

And finally, Final Punishment is the Question Block trying to maim the character by giving them a taste of their own medicine, only to have it backfire and the boss taking over double the damage via shell and mother brain.

And that's my boss. I honestly am super surprised because I actually thought my boss would appear before my level, and that it would be in World 11-12 or something. And now I have to eat a shoe...

Well, considering I am but a dog I can't really take a video of myself. However I did conjure something in case this would happen.
NOOOO.png
NOOOO.png (165.63 KiB) Viewed 7946 times
AT LEAST I KNOW FOR SURE THAT I AM THE WINNER OF MAKE THE BIGGEST COP-OUT CONTEST!!!

(here is the boss btw)
Last edited by FrozenQuills 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: MaGL X2 - Fish in a box

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Well... they're here.

You already know who won from the post above me, but we'll go into further detail.
(Man, I am off of my prediction game!)

2nd place: Windslash: It's a Fish, Silly!

This is an amazing gag, first off. Everything goes by quite fast, and the challenge for survival is difficult, while not feeling too unfair. The card usage is incredible, and the safe card makes a quicker fight feasible, but it also makes this fight really RNG-heavy. The natural conclusion to this, of course, is to cast him as fishin' fish guy. You really did great here.

1st place: FrozenQuills: Championship Boxing

I REALLY like that title pun, especially since raocow is Canadian. (I... don't quite count.) The usage of cards here was great, and I could tell what you were referencing for each one! The fact you had a running gag for that long is really impressive, too. It also helps tht this boss is fun, yet challenging. Fantastic work, and I hope you're alright after eating that shoe... or coppin out, that's fine, too.

Now to see if those voodoo dolls are correct...
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

First place was great. It utilized all of the cards in some really clever ways (especially that Serpent Assassin one). Congratulations on winning FroLAST MESSAGES
>
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i think rao needs a controller big enough for his yaoi hands

congrats to the winners
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

man are all my videos simuwatched like that, like that is overwhelming in and of itself :oops:
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

FrozenQuills wrote: AT LEAST I KNOW FOR SURE THAT I AM THE WINNER OF MAKE THE BIGGEST COP-OUT CONTEST!!!
This is disgusting. Mods, ban this filth until he's willing to abide by our ludicrous and dangerously unhealthy demands.
Shinbison

Post by Shinbison »

I have no idea how will be the top 11... XD
Who did the hub? ( I don't know lol).
--------------------------------------------------------------
PS: Congratulations FrozenQuill and all participants!
Last edited by Shinbison 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Draexzhan »

Congratulations to FrozenQuill. Also everyone else who entered MaFAB.

Oh no. We're doing predictions? I only know one of the guys on the list. I'll just put him in first place and randomize the others.

11. RenaTurnip
10. WestonSmith
9. Lolbarr
8. Shinbison-Kof
7. Ometeotl
6. Ignoritus
5. ravegg
4. arabsalmon
3. Sedron
2. Trotim **random.org's favorite**
1. gameguy888
Signature text.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Shinbison wrote:Who did the hub? ( I don't know lol).
It was made by Me and Blivsey. Horikawa and others did almost all of the lua coding though.
Shinbison

Post by Shinbison »

Willhart wrote:
Shinbison wrote:Who did the hub? ( I don't know lol).
It was made by Me and Blivsey. Horikawa and others did almost all of the lua coding though.
I understand now, thanks for your information! ( great hub, guys!)
Last edited by Shinbison 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Sure, let's load up random.org and do this

1.Ignoritus
2. Lolbarr
3. Sedron
4. Ometeotl
5. arabsalmon
6. Shinbison-Kof
7. gameguy888
8. ravegg
9. Trotim
10. RenaTurnip (Sturg's favorite)
11. WestonSmith

Also, both bosses today were super amazing. Congratulations to both of you!
this is getting laundromatic
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Explain the Shoe thing to me.

Nice to see Trotim in the top 10. I knew him from a long time ago. Good fella.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Sniggerb0bble
These arms ain't ever going down.

Post by Sniggerb0bble »

Oh man wow, many congrats FrozenQuills for your first place, you definitely deserved it. And many congrats to you too Windslash, you didn't win but you still did an exceptional job. I don't feel like I really have the ability to say anything meaningful in terms of critique for either of these, so instead I shall you both with a bow. There, I bowed.
phencer42

Post by phencer42 »

Pyro wrote:
SKYPEHAUS REACTIONS
[7:50:23 AM] ♀Lily [Pichu]: I better get a .mp4 of you eating a shoe on my desk by 5
This gave me a hearty chuckle. Bummer about that cop out though. A better cop out would be to bake a shoe-shaped cake or something.
#makeagoodcopoutcontest
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

Speaking of shoe eating, there's a documentary that might offer some ideas on how to go about doing the deed.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Me too

11 - sedron
10 - Lolbarr
9 - WestonSmith (Sturg's Favourite)
8 - Ometeotl
7 - Shinbison-Kof
6 - gameguy888
5 - ravegg
4 - arabsalmon
3 - Ignoritus
2 - Trotim
1 - RenaTurnip
Don't need to guess already, since the host has told the answer. :3

---
Anyway, regarding the windslash' boss, allow me to give an unpopular opinion: I might give only around 20.
Uniqueness will be 10, but fun factor will be 5 each.

The idea is very nice. In fact, if I am allowed to give more than 10 on uniqueness, I don't mind giving a bit more.

But, it seems annoying to play, especially when randomizer decided to troll you hard.

Maybe I am wearing raocow's goggle, so I am not really impressed by the level.

No offense.

Just that in some parts, the vegetable is at the area where it is EXTREMELY risky to access.(And some parts are also not easy to just BARELY survive.)

A bit too luck-based.

Maybe I will die till I rage-quit.
When MAGLx 2 is out, I am thinking about trying this level.
Last edited by CloudyCloud 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Trotim

Post by Trotim »

Sebby19 wrote:Explain the Shoe thing to me.

Nice to see Trotim in the top 10. I knew him from a long time ago. Good fella.
Heh aw thanks, is nice to be recognized (even if I had some crazy issues back then)

"I'll eat my shoe/hat if..." is an idiom for "I'll be very surprised if...". For when you really don't believe in something happening

Obligatory didn't expect to make it this far, thought FrozenQuills's level was better than mine even... but at least he won the boss contest!
cartoon dog bias
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!

Post by blue_kirby »

Can't believe we're facing off against the Top Entries for MAGLX2. It feels like it just started yesterday.
"That's embarrassing"
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Trotim wrote: Obligatory didn't expect to make it this far, thought FrozenQuills's level was better than mine even... but at least he won the boss contest!
cartoon dog bias
We're going to have the ultimate cartoon dog ending to this game if you win MaGLX2 since I already won MaFAB, hahah. Super excited to see your level btw! I knew you could get really far.
And thanks everyone for the comments! I don't know if I'll get a red name for winning but I'm super happy you all liked my boss!
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

8flight wrote:raocow's main problem with the swimming section was that

If you hold up while swimming, you swim up quicker.
If you hold down, you sink down quicker.

And as we've learned today, raocow is entirely incapable of not spamming the up button as many times a second as possible.
Last edited by Ometeotl 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

FrozenQuills wrote:
Well, considering I am but a dog I can't really take a video of myself. However I did conjure something in case this would happen.

AT LEAST I KNOW FOR SURE THAT I AM THE WINNER OF MAKE THE BIGGEST COP-OUT CONTEST!!!
Ruff, I am like SUPER jealous right now! He won AND gets to eat a shoe.

anyways top tenlevens

11st Trotim
10nd (Sturg's favorite)
9rd Sedron
8th Gameguy888
7th WestonSmith
6th Arabsalmon
5th Ravegg
4th Omeleotl
3rd Lolbarr
2nd Ignoratus
1st RenaTurnip
:pal: Image :pal:

S1eth

Post by S1eth »

CloudyCloud wrote: Uniqueness will be 10, but fun factor will be 5 each.
It's "Use of Cards", Personal Fun, Other people fun. 10 each.
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

S1eth wrote:
CloudyCloud wrote: Uniqueness will be 10, but fun factor will be 5 each.
It's "Use of Cards", Personal Fun, Other people fun. 10 each.
... I see.

then still 20. (I don't really find that fun. Maybe raocow's goggle gives me a misguided feeling.)
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

yeah wow Frozen your boss was great haha
WindSlash's was good too but the RNG-dependence and the unbalanced difficulty between the cards made it a bit... eh. When raocow won it was only because he got easy-mode twice.

also wow revenge of the return of the text logger of doom
FrozenQuills wrote:We're going to have the ultimate cartoon dog ending to this game if you win MaGLX2 since I already won MaFAB, hahah
post-game hub music confirmed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4wptBuM6zs
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

RenaTurnip wrote:
FrozenQuills wrote:Now you know how I felt for like the past two weeks :P
But your boss won. I don't understand the comparison here ;D
RenaTurnip wrote:But your boss won. I don't understand the comparison here ;D
:D <3

BOTH of those bosses were awesome. I love Windslash's a lot, I don't hesitate to call it the best of its kind among bosses that had that sort of rotating/progressing theme gimmick. The weak points would definitely be the lopsidedness between cards (mostly the hella easy one, more than having hard ones, hard is okay!) and, potentially how long it takes to beat some single cards over and over again. (I wonder if it's actually very easy to get the water pumpkins, though.) Definitely worth top 2 or better, it was awesome <3 Congrats.

I feel bad that I have less to say about FrozenQuills' boss but I was mostly busy going OMGGGG and figuring out what I'd say in the thread xD I loved the serpent blocks a lot, and I groaned at the end of the video when I realized the stupid damn boss name, like ugh. PUNS. Amazing job, you two, and to MaFAB in general, please bring back a similar concept raocow and/or Horikawa, please. MaFAB was the thing I was most hype for until MaGL top 20 rolled around, and so many people drew out their best for it.
raocow wrote:man are all my videos simuwatched like that, like that is overwhelming in and of itself :oops:
I definitely simulwatch most of your main LPs with my best friend and I wouldn't have it any other way, but Skypehaus looks like a whole new, amazing experience I might try to be a part of at some point D: You guys must have so much fun doing this.

omggg though screw you for not actually playing a main level today orz Can't wait to see myself tomorrow morning in not-top-ten :>
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!