(shouting)

Testing results/issues

an SMBX collaboration hack!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Testing results/issues

Post by SAJewers »

Xirix wrote:I've just looked at the tweaked Tewi Eien Tewi..
You removed a lot of stuff from the level, isn't this going to make it too easy? I don't think the slightly long firebars were too much of an obstacle (First one isn't too much of an issue, and the one on the slide is easy to avoid as long as you jump mid-way down), and moving the second DemoLakitu back and removing the 3 Spiny spawners... was that area particulary troublesome? It's panicky sure, but you have enough time before they start moving to jump.. perhaps just remove the one on the middle column?

Also the first Spiny spawner made to land on the Donut blocks, if I made it 3 Donut blocks wide rather than 2 to give more chance of avoiding, could we place that back?

I like the look of the filter system though, it's a shame that kind of thing couldn't be done in the overworld. (I was under the impression it would be for some reason hence my after-thought terrible filter)
A lot of people considered it way too hard. The first firebar many people could not jump over, and the Spiny Generators were causing a lot of ire. Here's a video someone took attempting to beat it, if it helps

If you want to make it easier yourself, please do so, I'll put it into an update. Most people I know who tested this thought it was a bit much, so I toned it down as I wasn't sure if you would be around to do so.
Last edited by SAJewers 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Hmm, okay I'll see if I can add a few bits back in while keeping it fair, I'll get back to you. :)
kil3

Post by kil3 »

Haven't played the new version but the only truly ridiculous part is the spiny generator in the middle of the moving lava platforms. If I didn't have that extra hit from the broken filter, it may have taken another 50 tries. Anyway I personally would have just left it all since I believe in letting people succeed or fail on their own terms.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Yeah I suppose that might have been a bit much with the submerging landmass, okay, I've tweaked it a bit and I'm submitting, although...
I'm surprised the Filter system needed to be two screens long O.o, oh how I miss SMW's ability to easily remove powerups and make you small. But I guess there was no other way?
lukaramu
not lukaramu
First name: not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

So, Haunted Sky Mansion needs a way to exit the level (even if it was just a bottomless pit) if you screw up the P-Switch thing at the end of the level, judging from today's video.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

LukaRamu wrote:So, Haunted Sky Mansion needs a way to exit the level (even if it was just a bottomless pit) if you screw up the P-Switch thing at the end of the level, judging from today's video.
If somebody's going to go about changing this, don't forget the other place in the level where you can get stuck forever, in the upper corner of the room with the lava boot. Somebody pointed it out earlier (aterraformer, I think) but I noticed it was still unchanged in today's video.

And while we're at it, if a P-switch makes a pipe appear, you can still enter the pipe before pressing the switch. This happened to me while I was getting the secret exit, and I was teleported over a bottomless pit as a result. That pipe could really stand to be more out of the way in case anybody else feels like duck-jumping.

Also, does that lava boot respawn? It's great that the game lets the player go back and get another one if they happen to lose the first to the bunnies in front of the lava, but I don't think there would be another one there to get.
I don't really get it but okay
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Sorry it took so long! Videos this long usually take about two hours to render and whatnot, but the first two times I tried, stuff was dumb and didn't render it right but then the third time it worked so yay.
kil3

Post by kil3 »

hurry raocow is gonna pass you bro
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Wow, I expected Test Chamber M to be so much longer. Really amazing level.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

to adamwcz
invisible fucking vines??? what the hell, man? maybe some people have moronic controllers that press up for no reason whilst the thumb is doing nothing of the sort. take that shit out
please
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

aterraformer wrote:to adamwcz
invisible fucking vines??? what the hell, man? maybe some people have moronic controllers that press up for no reason whilst the thumb is doing nothing of the sort. take that shit out
please
Looking in the editor, he didn't make any vines invisible. I think what it is is that the climbable chains are are actually one of the fence graphics, and apparently you can still climb on fences, even if the layer they're on is hidden.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

SAJewers wrote:Looking in the editor, he didn't make any vines invisible. I think what it is is that the climbable chains are are actually one of the fence graphics, and apparently you can still climb on fences, even if the layer they're on is hidden.
oh? well that's still kind of dumb haha
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
adamwcz

Post by adamwcz »

please
SAJewers wrote: Looking in the editor, he didn't make any vines invisible. I think what it is is that the climbable chains are are actually one of the fence graphics, and apparently you can still climb on fences, even if the layer they're on is hidden.
aterraformer wrote: oh? well that's still kind of dumb haha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreshadowing
I had to edit some graphics in order to purposefully make them climb-able and invisible at the same time. The layer containing invisible chains gets switched out with layer containing visible chains while the level is falling apart.

Also if/once you figure out that they are holding up a few floating platforms by the edges, they are pretty consistent in positioning.

If you still disagree with them being there, then lets agree to disagree! :D
kil3

Post by kil3 »

Yeah I think we went over that about 15 pages ago, somewhere in this labyrinth of a thread. One reason y'all could do well with having a wiki page for each level with comments / discussion at the bottom.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Sorry, I know I'm not understanding one of Sheath's physics, but I just scrapped a half hour recording because I am confused as to how you can clear these koopas fast enough before the laser gets you in Gotta Go Quick by MrWeirdGuy.
EDIT: Oh also, the video I made like two days ago
adamwcz

Post by adamwcz »

I believe you wait for them to walk past and out of the way before you jump down to their level :[
It feels a little out of place with the rest of the theme, but that's that!
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

You know... regardless of anything else, I think that could stand to be tweaked based on the sheer number of people who I've seen ask this exact question. Especially since we don't really have that many testers/people playing this game and posting here in the first place, so the number of people who didn't have to ask is really low.
I don't really get it but okay
MrWeirdGuy

Post by MrWeirdGuy »

Once you understand that the rupees trigger the lasers, the level makes more sense.
I'll think about "fixing" it, though.
This is my signature because I am a boring individual. Yep.
kil3

Post by kil3 »

It's kind of the only blemish on a neat level.
Zinfandel

Post by Zinfandel »

So hey, the following cheat:
chipmunktiime
isn't triggering properly when I type it. It seems to be the only cheat that doesn't trigger correctly.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

8flight wrote:
Zinfandel wrote:So hey, the following cheat:
chipmunktiime
isn't triggering properly when I type it. It seems to be the only cheat that doesn't trigger correctly.
you're suppose to type it like chipmunkthyme
that's a different cheat.
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
adamwcz

Post by adamwcz »

please
I plugged in a USB SNES controller after seeing both raocow and Frozelar having trouble with vines.. now I see the problem!
Since I was using a keyboard for all level testing and so there was no accidentally pressing up/down, I always saw them as just something extra to the level. Anything but an obstacle.

Just saying, but I kind of didn't tale what you said there seriously because of your choice of words; it seemed like you were just angry more than actually trying to help with testing :[

But I fixed it so they're regular old background chains now, thanks!
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

To answer your question Frozelar:
Getting to MDPZ requires the P-Switch
Also, yes. That blue shoe was never filtered out correctly (despite complaints). I replaced it myself with Catplanet angel girl in the latest update.

EDIT: just finished watching. that midpoint is horrendously lopsided, and that level is ridiculous in length.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Writing this out as a I watch:

It appears my natural inclination to rush rightwards changes the gameplay on my end dramatically. I've never been rammed by the Koopaling, the blue goopa gauntlet goes by much faster, and I have literally never fallen into the pit in the quadruple Boom-Boom room, even by not pressing anything. I'm really bad at predicting reactions, aren't I? :oops:

Also, the whole green shoe section was an attempt to add a filter. If we're swapping over to an angel flight, which seems much better, I can remove it entirely and revert the pool back to how it was real quick. It'll make the midpoint less lopsided, at least.