(shouting)

The Stuff That's Left To Do

it came, it went! all the old ASMT stuff is here
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

The Stuff That's Left To Do

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Just making a list of what's left before the testing phase. If I forgot something, please tell me.

Stuff other people need to do:
- Finish levels 009, 00C, 019, 022, and 127
- Finish up the last of those sprite graphics swaps and send them to me (speaking of which, a compilation of all changed graphics would be really useful)
- Decide on music for their levels
- Finish writing the cutscenes and plot-related level messages
- Send me various patches used for their levels (Chibikko, how's that compilation coming along?)

Stuff I need to do:
- Code the final boss
- Set up all the Charles' Castle sublevels
- Start the Void signups, and set up those sublevels once finished
- Convert cutscenes to VWF tool format
- Insert patches (and hope that they are all compatible with each other *coughfastROMcough*)
- Insert music
RealLink

Re: The Stuff That's Left To Do

Post by RealLink »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:- Finish up the last of those sprite graphics swaps and send them to me (speaking of which, a compilation of all changed graphics would be really useful)
Chdata made a pack with the sprite GFX swaps. It's on page 15 of the Global Graphic Changes Thread.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

But doesn't that also contain a lot of stuff which was voted down and thus isn't actually supposed to be inserted?
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

It was sort of for you to copy and paste whatever is voted but has no .bin or anything (like the watermelon triangles), and for various fixes for some graphics such as a sprite form of the question blocks and some things using more tiles than they can. I'll try and update it best I can. Some of it is drawn from screenshots which are things you might already have, such as, I drew my own version of your fishing fish guy to look as close to yours as possible, but it's probably not the same, it was only to see what it's like. It also has misc. unseen or unvoted things I just doodled since there was no replacement yet.
(I have to stop being lazy.)

edit: In this attatchment is everything I have that's apparently confirmed. The goopas aren't in it because I have no idea if they're really to be used or what.

edit 2: It'd help if I actually made an attatchment...
Confirmed.zip
Last edited by Chdata 14 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:- Insert patches (and hope that they are all compatible with each other *coughfastROMcough*)
When I inserted it to my hack, it made the background of one level like this:
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:- Send me various patches used for their levels (Chibikko, how's that compilation coming along?)
As I said before, I cannot remember all of the patches (and which version) are being used for ASMT since I have made quite a few. If you kept the patches when they were uploaded in the Level Submission thread then upload them here (including level ASM code), or at least a list would be helpful since I have kept everything. I have an idea of which ones are used but I am probably forgetting a few.
I am a cat. You cannot prove otherwise.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I think I'll start a list of all the patches you made that I can remember, then post in levelasm and marioexgfx codes.

kilon

Post by kilon »

yoshicookiezeus wrote: - Finish writing the cutscenes and plot-related level messages
Daze will give his results of the cutscenes after the weekend, so then it takes just 1 week (but don't pin me on this) for all the cutscenes to be done. Along with how we pictured with with graphics and music.
About the message boxes, I can pretty much say the same.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Kristian wrote:
yoshicookiezeus wrote:- Insert patches (and hope that they are all compatible with each other *coughfastROMcough*)
When I inserted it to my hack, it made the background of one level like this:
Did you set freespace?

yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

chdata: There's no need to collect the LevelASM routines: I believe I already have all of those. However, collecting all the other patches would be very useful indeed.

Speaking of levelASM: if any of you want HDMA in your levels, just send the tables to me and I'll put them in level.asm for you.
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

chdata wrote:Did you set freespace?
What.
Is it possible to fix it now, even though I've already applied it?
If so, please tell.
<SNN> WHO DARES
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Go to a backup of your hack (If you don't have one you'll need to start with a clean rom and transfer all your levels and transfer your OW [which is possible except for the palettes]) and patch fastrom this way by finding freespace... (Alot of patches require this. If you don't set freespace you'll probably overwrite the origional programming of the game and cause LOLrandom things like LDA #$4 STA $19.)

Download slogger (free space logger) from the tools section.
Drag your non glitched rom onto it. It will create a .txt with the same name of your rom file. Open it and you'll see a PC address_______________Lorom offset___________________---size amount.
Look for a size amount that says 8000, then look at the lorom offset to the left of it. Copy that number after the X, so if I had
0x168000, I'd be copying 168000 only. Now open fastrom.asm and look for this...

header
lorom

;---------------------------
; DEFINES
;---------------------------

!FreeSpace = $17B000 ; POINT TO FREESPACE!!!

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; New ASM Routine, point to freespace.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

where it says
!FreeSpace = $17B000 ; POINT TO FREESPACE!!!

change 17b000 with the number you copied by selecting it and press ctrl + V (paste)

now patch fastrom to the rom you used on slogger. Also copy n paste the slogger'd rom to your xkas patching folder, do not directly cut it or move it, so you have a backup that easily.

Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

Kristian wrote:
chdata wrote:Did you set freespace?
What.
Is it possible to fix it now, even though I've already applied it?
If so, please tell.
You could create an IPS of your corrupt ROM and upload it with the Fast ROM Patch you used (with the same free space). Then I could try and fix it. If you want to try to fix it yourself then here are the steps:

Open a clean ROM in LM and expand it to the same size as your corrupt ROM. I will refer to this ROM as ROM1. When I expand a ROM, I modify a level (then save it) and extract/insert the GFX and ExGFX which expands the ROM to 2mg. Next, copy this clean ROM and apply the patch (with the same free space) to the copy. I will call this ROM2. Next, create an IPS patch selecting ROM2 as being unmodified and ROM1 as being modified. This will create an IPS patch that overwrites the corrupt code with the original code. As always, create a backup of your ROM. Apply this IPS patch to your ROM and hope it works. Otherwise, do what chdata is saying.
I am a cat. You cannot prove otherwise.
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

Well, it only corrupted like, one level. Is that going to majorly screw up my rom later on, or is all i have to do is stay away from that one level?
'cause moving everything to a new rom is pretty tedious.
<SNN> WHO DARES
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

That sounds to me like you accidentally instead of pointing the patch to freespace pointed it to the background tilemap of that particular level. If nothing crashes, it probably works as it should.
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:If nothing crashes, it probably works as it should.
It only crashes when I edit said level. Other than that, everything is fine.

EDIT: It appears I've reached post 700. Ho ho.
<SNN> WHO DARES
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

So what's the story on the remaining levels / who's working on them? Could anyone use some help?

If they haven't been confirmed, shall we take the levels?
Kil's thought that this won't be out until mid-Feb has me scared shitless and I will literally stay up nights making levels until this fucker is done if I have to.
Nothing's easy.

Kil

Post by Kil »

I still stand by that. There's no way all of those people are going to finish their rooms in a timely fashion. It only takes 1 to delay everything. Then we have even more signup stuff with void world after that.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
kilon

Post by kilon »

The void world is something special, so I don't think everyone can just make a room for that.

And having the void world as long as the castle isn't really the best option anyway.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Personally, I have to agree that we shouldn't overdo the Void. I think that after raocow's Trial of Iron, we should limit it to the eight teleporters (did anyone code those yet?) and then Black Plague.
crushawake

Post by crushawake »

Eh, for the teleporters, wouldn't you only need custom blocks which teleport mario, while setting a new screen exit each time? If so, then I can do that real quick...

*edit* Ah, but of course, we would need objectool to tell if it's destroyed or not. I can still do that quick.
If you need a hand with Mario Romhacking in some way, feel free to PM me. I'll try and answer. <3
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

As well as having one teleporter that only appears when some RAM address is equal to 0xFF. The setting of the bits of that address would probably best be done in the separate rooms themselves. (Now that I think about it, that would mean that as long as you choose an address that isn't cleared on level transitions and place a block that resets it right at the level main entrance, you could place the midway entrance right before the teleporter room and still not have to redo the already finished rooms when you die.)
crushawake

Post by crushawake »

Okay. Now, one quick question, uh, how do I insert blocks from objectool into my level? :3
If you need a hand with Mario Romhacking in some way, feel free to PM me. I'll try and answer. <3
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

I have never worked with ObjectTool, but I would guess that you use the Add Object Manual window. (Press the Insert key while in Layer 1 editing mode.)
crushawake

Post by crushawake »

Yeah, I sorta thought that, but then Lunar Magic had a go at me, telling me I can only add objects 0-3F (in hex).

*edit* God, I am thick. :evil: