(shouting)

Sprite / Block request thread

it came, it went! all the old ASMT stuff is here
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Sprite / Block request thread

Post by Daarkbuu »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:As you may or may not know, SMWCentral has started a project to disassemble every single sprite in the Super Mario World ROM. I have already made some contributions to this project, and as I am now done adapting the sprites I had commented earlier, I am now taking requests for disassemblies, if you would wish to make edited versions or just study the source code. Just don't request the Koopa Kids, Bowser, or Reznor, as Mode 7 is kind of beyond my capabilities... And the same thing goes for the various scrolling commands.

Also, please check the project thread before making a request, so that noone else has either claimed the sprite or already finished disassembling it.
Me wants teh lakitu disassembled...
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

crushawake wrote:So, let me get this right:
You want a 16x32 screw which, when spin-jumped on, moved upwards. When done (for example) 4 times, the screw falls down and dies?
Well, that's part of it, anyway, but there's a whole group of objects/sprites involved, and I don't really have a use yet, just individual sprites/objects
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

Tails_155 wrote:...I don't really have a use yet, just individual sprites/objects
Whatever you end up thinking of, even if it is totally different, I am willing to take up the challenge. Don't limit yourself to this idea just because you posted it, or something like that. Feel free to ask for things you don't even think are possible. The craziest ideas can make for the best levels if done right.
I am a cat. You cannot prove otherwise.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

You know that screw thing would be perfect for stuff I'm coming up with in KC's Castle,
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

chdata wrote:You know that screw thing would be perfect for stuff I'm coming up with in KC's Castle,

Feel free to use it, I only "own" the idea XP
I had a slight modification for an alternative
Attachments
ScrewIdea.rar
a screwed-in-place wall
(16.8 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

chdata wrote:You know that screw thing would be perfect for stuff I'm coming up with in KC's Castle,
Since you have a use for it then I will make it. It won't be done this second since college has started up again. Is there anything specific you want it to do other than what was mentioned before?
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

I can make the GFX if you want :3

Also, another idea I had, to do with the turnblock bridge things

. = 1 Turnblock

_ = 5 Turnblocks in a row

| = 5 Turnblocks in a column

3 Other Blocks:

1. Heavy Block: functions like a portable platform (Key,) but it halves your jump height, lowers your speed, makes it so you can't fly, and can't be tossed as high as the other items (making a more interesting puzzle possibly)

2. A Yoshi-edible wall block

3. A raisible/lowerable block, hitting it from below raises it one block, and spin jumping it from above lowers it one block
Attachments
Graphics.rar
Bottom left are the other 3 blocks
(1.85 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
BlockBlock.rar
Block Block lol
(449 Bytes) Downloaded 81 times
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

Daarkbuu wrote:Me wants teh lakitu disassembled...
Edit: I know nothing and I admit it. I tried and got nowhere. Bring this to the attention of YCZ.
Tails_155 wrote:Also, another idea I had, to do with the turnblock bridge things

. = 1 Turnblock

_ = 5 Turnblocks in a row

| = 5 Turnblocks in a column
What do you want me to do with this info?
Tails_155 wrote:3 Other Blocks:
1. Heavy Block: functions like a portable platform (Key,) but it halves your jump height, lowers your speed, makes it so you can't fly, and can't be tossed as high as the other items (making a more interesting puzzle possibly)
2. A Yoshi-edible wall block
3. A raisible/lowerable block, hitting it from below raises it one block, and spin jumping it from above lowers it one block
1. I don't know about not being able to be tossed as high, but the rest sounds doable. Without a disassembly, it would be level ASM that activates when the sprite the player is carrying is a key.
2. It would have to be a sprite as far as I know.
3. If someone would please give me the "turn into the next block in map16" then I could probably do this by editing the X and Y of the created block. If that doesn't work, then it could be done as a sprite. Either way, I want that code (in ASM).

I am not starting on anything new until my other things are done.
Last edited by Chibikko 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Don't worry about mine unless I specifically state it, mine are all ideas if someone else is looking for an idea to use for a level XP

and as far as 2: berries are blocks
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

Tails_155 wrote:...and as far as 2: berries are blocks
They are also sprites which is why using act like 45, 46, and 47 in map16 doesn't work. Unless someone comes up with code for a block to detect Yoshi's tongue, then it will have to be a sprite.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Chibikko wrote:
Tails_155 wrote:...and as far as 2: berries are blocks
They are also sprites which is why using act like 45, 46, and 47 in map16 doesn't work. Unless someone comes up with code for a block to detect Yoshi's tongue, then it will have to be a sprite.
Ahh. Didn't know that.
BlackDS

Post by BlackDS »

Okay Luigi, I need a sprite that makes mario invisible.
^"that is like the quotse of the year"
Do not deny it
My personal goal is to make 200 great posts.
Take my postcount, and subtract 1400.
Thats how many good posts i've made
Personalness

Post by Personalness »

A sprite that prevents yoshi from eating the item box item would be nice.
I have a difficult time conveying what I want to say.
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

Personalness wrote:A sprite that prevents yoshi from eating the item box item would be nice.
YCZ has made a sprite that takes away the status bar item when entering a (sub)level. I found the code in all.log that handles the reserve item and might be able to make something tomorrow for this specific situation.
Edit: It is done.
BlackDS wrote:Okay Luigi, I need a sprite that makes mario invisible.
The way that I found to make the player invisible did not work will regular Yoshi (baby Yoshi was fine). Alternately, here is the MarioGFX Patch which makes the player invisible only in level 34. Insert ExGFX123 into the ROM using Lunar Magic. Do not use Lunar Magic's GFX Bypass: the patch will take care of everything. There are some extra player tiles in SP1 for Mario but Demo seemed to be designed not to use them (i.e. most of them are deleted in the current GFX00). If little pieces show up then look at Anti_ExGFX to see which specific tiles that need to be removed.
Attachments
Disable_Item_Request.zip
(950 Bytes) Downloaded 91 times
Invisible_Request.zip
(9.13 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Last edited by Chibikko 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Hi there, does anyone know how to, or can make a block that can pull off the same thing as in Omega with both slippery and normal flooring? I'm guessing the trick is make everything slippy and use a sticky block but i've used lots of slanty flooring that i don't want to be slippy, and it would be a pain for anyone to have to make 20 different blocks just for different kinds of floor...
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

flameofdoubt wrote:Hi there, does anyone know how to, or can make a block that can pull off the same thing as in Omega with both slippery and normal flooring? I'm guessing the trick is make everything slippy and use a sticky block but i've used lots of slanty flooring that i don't want to be slippy, and it would be a pain for anyone to have to make 20 different blocks just for different kinds of floor...
RAM address $0086 is the slippery level flag. It is on when the value there is not zero. I am thinking of blocks that go above the land (act like 25 and are invisible). There would be one that makes the level slippery and one that turns it back to normal. One of these would need to go above all of the land titles in a way that the player has to touch it.
Attachments
Slippery_Request.zip
(540 Bytes) Downloaded 96 times
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Thank you Very much; probably a silly question but is there any need to have the level as slippery or non-slippery to make this work?
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

flameofdoubt wrote:Thank you Very much; probably a silly question but is there any need to have the level as slippery or non-slippery to make this work?
The blocks use the same flag, so it doesn't matter what the level starts as since that will be overridden as soon as the first block is hit.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Daarkbuu wrote:Me wants teh lakitu disassembled...
I think i second this, because i'm still having problems with making a custom cloud for lakitu, as i can't find a suitable sprite on smwcentral. However i may actually want the Lakitu's Cloud sprite, as it is seperate and that is what i actually want to change.

This is also assuming that disassembled means people can customise and insert a custom sprite that perfectly mimics the original? I'm not entirely sure.

Alternatively if it's possible could i request a custom sprite that...well that replaces lakitu's cloud for one level. For that i may need a custom lakitu also but if that'll make it work then that too please.
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

flameofdoubt wrote:This is also assuming that disassembled means people can customise and insert a custom sprite that perfectly mimics the original? I'm not entirely sure.
Alternatively if it's possible could i request a custom sprite that...well that replaces lakitu's cloud for one level. For that i may need a custom lakitu also but if that'll make it work then that too please.
A disassembly should insert as a sprite and mimic the original. Having the lakitu spawn a custom cloud instead of the normal one should be possible. Since YCZ has not responded to the first post from several days ago, you should send a PM if you want this done.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

I've inserted a coin block and got it all working wonderfully. However i have POW switches in my level. Is it possible to make a block or two blocks that mimic a coin and a used block, and alternate between which they are when a POW switch is pressed?

EDIT: Also (this may not belong here though), is there any way of using custom sprites or anything really, to stop the reserve powerup, or a moving powerup, from mirroring horizontally? I use a custom powerup graphic for the mushroom in my level and it's a-symmetrical, so everything is fine untill you get a second one.

Also Also, does anyone know if we decided or not to stop the movement of the fireflower? We discussed it but i can't remember the final decision, and it would help immensely if we did decide to stop it xP
Last edited by flameofdoubt 14 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Fire flower does not x-flip.

crushawake

Post by crushawake »

chdata wrote:Fire flower does not x-flip.
Liez.
If you need a hand with Mario Romhacking in some way, feel free to PM me. I'll try and answer. <3
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I thought we hex edited it so it doesn't?

Personalness

Post by Personalness »

Stupid question: What do I do with an asm file to apply it to a rom?
I have a difficult time conveying what I want to say.