(shouting)

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right - Discussion Thread

...or in other words: post-whoring
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right - Discussion Thread

Post by YelseyKing »

So, I made this suggestion a while back, when I hit my 500th post, but it got graveyard'd because I stupidly made the post look like it was *about* the post count milestone instead of the idea I had in general. Trying again in a less stupid manner as my 1000th post.

So, there's this long-running game show called The Price is Right. You may have heard of it. Back when I posted at Jul (another gaming/hacking forum), I set up a forum-based version of it. Not perfect, but it recreated a handful of games from the show pretty well. I still kept all the graphics and stuff I used for it, and thought, hey, why not give it a shot on Talkhaus?

The general idea of the show is pretty simple. First, four people are "called down" from the audience into Contestants' Row, where they proceed to place a single bid on how much believe the prize offered costs. The one who bids closest to the price of the prize without going over (yes, even if someone bids $1500, and the price's price turns out to be $1499, that person still can't win) wins that prize, and gets to go on stage to play a "Pricing Game": a mini-game of sorts where they can potentially win more prizes, or sometimes cash. Note that if all four contestants overbid, the bids are erased, and everyone gets a second chance, being told to bid lower than the lowest previous one. This can go on indefinitely until someone finally bids below the price, but I've never seen it take more than two tries.

As for the pricing games, they're randomly selected from a pool of more than 100 of them (although many have been discontinued over the years), and vary pretty significantly, though one constant is that you're usually aiming to guess the price of either the big prize or smaller prizes used within the game as "parts". I've pretty faithfully recreated 18 of these games for the three episodes in which we did on Jul, and I could definitely whip up more if things go well here. I'll get into the specific rules for these as we get to them, if I get enough participants.

After three bids, and consequently three pricing games, they move on to the "Showcase Showdown". The three contestants from the pricing games, whether they won or lost said games, get a chance to spin a big wheel numbered from 5 cents to $1.00, in increments of five cents. The object is to try and get as close to $1.00 without going over. They're given two spins, but can opt to quit after the first one if *on* that first spin, they feel comfortable enough with what they landed on. The one closest to $1.00 after all three have spun moves onto the "Showcase" at the end of the show, a bonus finale game of sorts. If any contestant spins exactly $1.00, either on their first spin alone or the two combined, wins $1,000 and gets a bonus spin. If they land on $1.00 again, they get $25,000 bonus (this used to be a $10,000 bonus, but it was upped sometime in the late 2000s). If they land on 5 cents or 15 cents (the spaces on the wheel bordering $1.00), they win $10,000 (again, upped from $5,000). This is the part of the game I have trouble with. On the Jul version, I simply had everyone pick a number between 1 and 20, and then had it correspond to a list I made up beforehand. It's a luck-based game to begin with, but this never quite felt right, and I'm open to any suggestions on how to make this work.

Anyhow, after the Showcase Showdown, three more one-bids, and three more pricing games are played, after which a second Showcase Showdown happens. Same rules as the first.

At the end of the second Showcase Showdown, the winners from both face off in the Showcase round. Here, two "Showcases" are shown, which contain multiple prizes, and usually includes big ticket items such as lavish trips, expensive cars, and the like. The contestants are first shown a single Showcase. After that, the contestant won won the most that day is given the option to bid on it, or pass it to the other contestant, taking the next Showcase. Usually this is done if the first one is undesirable, and they think they may get something better in the second. Regardless, both contestants bid on their Showcases, in the same fashion as the one-bids: They guess the total price of the entire package. And, well, the winner is the one who is closer to the price without going over. If one, however, is to guess the price within $500 (I think this is the current value, at any rate. It used to be $250, and even beforehand, $100. But inflation and all that), they win *both* Showcases. Unlike the one-bids, though, if both contestants overbid, they're out of luck and *no one* wins one. One shot is all you get.

And that's about it. Given the way the game goes, I'm actually going to need nine people to sign up for each "episode", specifically for the one-bid segments, of which six will ultimately get to play pricing games. In a first-come-first-serve fashion, each person who signs up will be called into Contestants' Row and will get a chance to bid and all that. The first four to sign up will, of course, be the first four who get to bid. After each one, I'll call the next person up, and we'll go from there. This does mean, unfortunately, that three people who sign up won't get to *play* a pricing game, but if this goes well, I'll automatically enter the three who didn't into the next "episode" as the first four.

With all that rambling aside... well, sign up here!
Last edited by YelseyKing 6 years ago, edited 20 times in total.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Re: The (Talkhaus) Price is Right - Thoughts and ideas

Post by Wolfolotl »

I present myself to what ultimately will be my fate
:nb_pride:
zmonbobbo
Haustone Tournament Semifinalist
Hey there! I'm a dude!
First name: Zach
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by zmonbobbo »

I'm in! Seems like an interesting/ambitious concept.
I'm probably driving right now.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i expect this to end badly (count me in)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Kuupa
That's me on the beat, btw [:
First name: Alex
Pronouns: the male ones

Post by Kuupa »

Aw man I used to watch this show with my grandparents a lot, so this brings back memories. Count me in!
So here we are. Plays have been enacted. Empires have come and gone. The mightiest have passed away and withered, alike the least. Fires have burned, thousandfold. Yet, did not the great wind serenely continue its course? Does not the blackbird still sing its song? Does not the mistletoe still dwell in the oak's crown? Forgotten, what once has been told. Veiled, the words that once so rang out. Shrouded, like the larva in its cocoon. Let him hear it, who will.
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

I was wondering what happened to this *signs soul over to the game*
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

signing up for this
can't not do price is right
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I've never seen the price is right but I'll give this a shot anyway. Sounds fun!
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

The Price is Right? Alright. I'll join.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

ok

Petzi

Post by Petzi »

Only if this guy will be there.
Oui oui. Je suis très jambon.
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

uuuuh..... i'm in i guess.
100% Approved!
Patooties are Talkhaus' best thing!
So... I just put in my Youtube-Channel
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

I'm Interested. Count me in.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Dizzybelle »

im in i suppose
as long as you scream "COME ON DOOOOOOOOOWN" at the top of your lungs
ImageImageImage
Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Post by Gardenolva »

Ezreal wrote:Sounds dangerous, I'm in!

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

bkamakaze wrote:im in i suppose
as long as you scream "COME ON DOOOOOOOOOWN" at the top of your lungs
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Petzi wrote:Only if this guy will be there.
oh ei esse tipo

já ouvi falar dele
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

why not
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
dr_vblschrf
may or may not be an actual fox

Post by dr_vblschrf »

sure! sign me up!
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Wow. Bigger turnout than I expected! I wasn't expecting it to fill up this quickly, with almost two "episodes" worth of reserves, to boot, so I don't even have the "episode" written up yet! I'll get it all sorted out today, and will hopefully be able to start the game properly tomorrow.

Just for the record, I'm not actually going to use real products and prizes, but rather parodies and the like. This way people can't just Google the prices for an easy win. :P This shouldn't affect much, though; I did the same thing on the other versions of Forum TPiR I hosted, and it worked out fine.

Moists:

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I'd like to participate too. I've not seen the show myself, so I'd like to be on the second or later episode.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

I apologize for taking so long with this. Been busy with other stuff over the last few days... and I forgot how much prep work I actually needed to *do* for this thing. Fortunately, the site that had all the fonts used in TPiR itself was still up, so I was able to re-obtain the majority of them. Should be up within a day or two.

Couple more things before I start, though. First off, I'd like at least two people who aren't actually involved in the game to act as "assistants", of sorts. That is to say, I'm writing up every aspect of the upcoming "episode" in a text file. I'd like to show the list to a couple of people as a failsafe, so I don't get accused of rigging the results in favor of those I'm friends with, for instance. You won't need to assist in any actual way, just... make sure I don't cheat. Because I did at least a few times on the version I did before, and I don't want to do it again. :P

Second, if it's not in violation of any rules or anything, I'm actually going to start a new thread for the game itself, leaving this one for discussion and signups for future "episodes", so the game itself isn't cluttered by unrelated posts.

Anyhow... well, yeah. I probably shouldn't have started this until after I finished my MAGLX2 stage at least, but... I did. So. I'm committed to it now. :P

Moists:

Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Not likely to be breaking any rules by doing that; the last Mafia game did the exact same thing with having one discussion thread and one game thread, and there were no problems.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Dizzybelle »

id be happy to do that as long as I can be the beautiful assistant that shows off prizes and does that vague hand motion like this
ImageImageImage
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

All right. I've sent off the file I'll be working from to my two lovely assistants, bkamakaze and spitznagl, to keep myself from being a dirty, rotten cheater, and just about everything is set up. The game shall begin shortly.

Moists: