(shouting)

The Haus of Talk Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Re: bitter dread

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Mata Hari wrote:How often do people run Pokemon that actually evolve because it seems like there are a hell of a lot of ridiculous basics these days
Greninja Break is a top tier deck that uses evolution pokemon (fuck that deck) also several pokemon do have mega evolutions in the tcg
That crazy voice dude
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

People actually PLAY the card game!?
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

TheFinalSentinel wrote:People actually PLAY the card game!?
Yes, although almost all of my cards are gen 4 or earlier... basically useless for actual game-play.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

If I had the extra cash and a place to stash them, I'd go on a collecting binge, never mind the actual card game
RegiGiygas
listening to oingo boingo
First name: uriah
Pronouns: he/him

Post by RegiGiygas »

Collecting is honestly the best thing about the game.
can't forget this guy
Waaa.
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

I used to collect them a lot back when second gen Pokemon games came out but every time I'd amass a sizeable amount, something would happen and they'd either be scattered to the winds (I lost them) or they'd get irreparably damaged. This has happened something like five times in my life :/
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

We had some lady come in for a class today and talk about the library and whatnot. She was a librarian so she was basically trying to save her job by telling students that they need to use the library more because the internet is full of lies and also gave the "Wikipedia is a bad source because anyone can edit it" spiel you've probably heard 1000 times.

My favorite part of the presentation though, was all of the "funny memes" she had in her powerpoint. She would put up some meme related to what she was talking about, and then have the "source" next to it, and the source was always a giant, 5-line long Yahoo search URL. Like, she would post a link to the search results page instead of the image itself. So not only was it absurdly long, but you could also see what she searched to find the image. And it was always just whatever the slide was about followed by "meme." So she had a slide about citing sources and plagiarism with a meme, and then a URL that was like search.yahoo.com/search?p=... and within the URL you could see like "plagiarism+meme"

Thousands of dollars, these classes are.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Ashan wrote:and then have the "source" next to it, and the source was always a giant, 5-line long Yahoo search URL. Like, she would post a link to the search results page instead of the image itself.
Sounds like someone missed the lesson on how to cite internet sources
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Ashan wrote:We had some lady come in for a class today and talk about the library and whatnot. She was a librarian so she was basically trying to save her job by telling students that they need to use the library more because the internet is full of lies and also gave the "Wikipedia is a bad source because anyone can edit it" spiel you've probably heard 1000 times.
Former library clerk and current aspiring academic checking in:

There is no serious risk of university libraries becoming obsolete, since serious academic research will always require specialized sources not readily accessible to (or of much interest to) the general public. As such, she was hardly trying to "save her job", she was dimply trying to help you yutzes develop some measure of basic research skills so you don't come to us poor, benighted book bandiers in a panic a week before your term paper is do and shout "AAAAAAAH HELP ME I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING". Which happens every, every semester. Don't get me wrong--the internet is a great tool for research, and Wikipedia is an excellent way to get a very general introduction of a topic, but if you want to seriously research a subject, you're going to have to go a little deeper, and this involves taking an ickle rambly-poo to the lie-berry, so it's helpful to know what the Sam Hill you're doing ahead of time. I do shake my head a touch at the one university library I worked at ultimately changing the sign above the circulation desk from "circulation" to "customer service" due to the large number of folks we had coming up to us asking where the could "rent books". So a little mandatory instruction on how a library works? Probably not a bad thing.

I cannot condone the usage of memes (especially incompetently linked memes) in service of such, but I can only assume this was another woefully misamed attempt to appeal to what kids these days would find hep, bonza and crackerjack. Count yourself lucky that you were spared a backwards-hatted, be-sunglassed book riding a skateboard.
Coryman
The road to nowhere leads to me
First name: Cory

Post by Coryman »

The thing that gets me is that Wikipedia is actually a great source for sources; basically, you scroll down to references and there's a list of pages where they got their information, you can read through 'em yourself.

Also it amuses me when an adult uses a meme. It's like getting a Skype call from your grandparent but they don't realise they can speak in normal tones so they keep shouting
raocow wrote: In a world where shag carpeting wins a fight against a helicopter, we spend a lot of time reading and comparing numbers.
Le Neveu de Rameau

Coryman wrote:The thing that gets me is that Wikipedia is actually a great source for sources; basically, you scroll down to references and there's a list of pages where they got their information, you can read through 'em yourself.
Not just webpages; there's usually a good number of print sources there, too! It's actually not a bad jumping-off point at all, but this is sort of assuming the very research skills newer students are supposed to be learning. We're very good at bashing citation formats into their heads, but never really explain why citing sources is important on a practical level (beyond "plagiarize and we'll moidalize ya!") or, say, how to follow a reference to verify a quote or statement, or simply to research a topic further. Because this is all supposed to be obvious or something, I guess. When you've been doing this sort of thing for years, it's easy to forget just how opaque it can be to a newcomer. But if you're going to be teaching a subject, that's exactly the sort of thing you have to take into account.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:We're very good at bashing citation formats into their heads, but never really explain why citing sources is important on a practical level
sounds like math education
"this table of numbers is important so you should memorize it"
"why? what does it mean?"
"you'll use it when you're older"

also: any advice or forwarding service recommendations for importing from Japan? i'm looking to buy some CDs and i'm wondering just how many hurdles i'd have to jump through. a couple services that i've looked at make it seem easy, but that's kind of how marketing works.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:
Ashan wrote:We had some lady come in for a class today and talk about the library and whatnot. She was a librarian so she was basically trying to save her job by telling students that they need to use the library more because the internet is full of lies and also gave the "Wikipedia is a bad source because anyone can edit it" spiel you've probably heard 1000 times.
Former library clerk and current aspiring academic checking in:

There is no serious risk of university libraries becoming obsolete, since serious academic research will always require specialized sources not readily accessible to (or of much interest to) the general public. As such, she was hardly trying to "save her job", she was dimply trying to help you yutzes develop some measure of basic research skills so you don't come to us poor, benighted book bandiers in a panic a week before your term paper is do and shout "AAAAAAAH HELP ME I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING". Which happens every, every semester. Don't get me wrong--the internet is a great tool for research, and Wikipedia is an excellent way to get a very general introduction of a topic, but if you want to seriously research a subject, you're going to have to go a little deeper, and this involves taking an ickle rambly-poo to the lie-berry, so it's helpful to know what the Sam Hill you're doing ahead of time. I do shake my head a touch at the one university library I worked at ultimately changing the sign above the circulation desk from "circulation" to "customer service" due to the large number of folks we had coming up to us asking where the could "rent books". So a little mandatory instruction on how a library works? Probably not a bad thing.

I cannot condone the usage of memes (especially incompetently linked memes) in service of such, but I can only assume this was another woefully misamed attempt to appeal to what kids these days would find hep, bonza and crackerjack. Count yourself lucky that you were spared a backwards-hatted, be-sunglassed book riding a skateboard.
You just wrote a paragraph response to a throwaway joke line. I don't actually think she was trying to save her job, but she definitely has a vested interest. But I appreciate your passion.
The main point of my post was the dumb memes and hilariously long URL citations.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ashan wrote:dumb memes
Isn't this a bit redundant to say?
Le Neveu de Rameau

Ashan wrote:You just wrote a paragraph response to a throwaway joke line. I don't actually think she was trying to save her job, but she definitely has a vested interest. But I appreciate your passion.
The main point of my post was the dumb memes and hilariously long URL citations.
I know; that's why my post was so uncharacteristically brief!

Seriously, though, jokes do not arise in a vacuum*, and their subjects (no matter how tongue-in-cheek the lampooning is meant) reflect the social conditions which surround the teller and presumed audience. And your joke--mournful, mis-linked meme-mongering and all--was very illustrative of the disconnect between faculty and students when teaching research skills. And research skills are an especially important topic today--when you're flooded with as much information as we tend to be, how do you find what you're actually looking for? And how do you sort the good sources from the bad? Getting caught up in formalities, citation formats, etc. (which are often slow to adapt to new media), as contemporary instruction tends to do, not only misses the point, it alienates students and causes them to ask, "Why do we need to jump through these hoops, dear instructor, when you're the only one who's going to be reading this?" And that's hardly the attitude you want your newer generations to have with regards to source-citing. We live in an age where, on the one hand, verifying facts and statements is easier than it's every been, and yet, on the other hand, where misinformation has never had a greater potential to spread like wildfire. So you need to make sure that the folks you're sending out into the world are properly equipped to cut through and push back against the refuse. Unfortunately, the scenario you described--and the reaction it would seem to have called forth--was the exact opposite of what was needed. A noble sentiment, to be sure, but suffocated in the noxious miasma of the Poochy Approach, its body falling down to depths of the bog to putrefy and nourish the unwholesome muck bubbling and churning around it. And if that commissions cackles, charters chuckles, and galvanizes guffaws, they can only be of the mirthless variety.

*Because then they'd suck.
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

rameau whats ur opinion on chemtrails
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Alice wrote:
Nah, there are smart memes.

In fact, it's the point of increasingly verbose.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Le Neveu de Rameau

idol wrote:rameau whats ur opinion on chemtrails
Nostalgia for a half-remembered early childhood combined with social disaffection and festering resentment towards the economic stagnation and high unemployment rates vis-à-vis the western Bundesländer causes me to long for the days they were still called Karl-Marx-Stadt-trails, natch.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Alice wrote:
Amen to that. I feel, sometimes, like I'm the only person on the net who doesn't find 99% of memes even remotely funny.

I mean, I like lolcats and doge (and I find it inherently amusing, on that subject, that "lolcats" is apparently considered a valid word and is not underlined as "incorrect" by Firefox), but it's mostly because it's... well, cute cats and dogs. And I am a sucker for cute.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

Memes grow stale really quickly, but I appreciate them for what they are.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

It occurred to me that I'm eligible to run for President of the United States in 2024, since I'll be 35 before Inauguration Day 2025.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

raekuul wrote:It occurred to me that I'm eligible to run for President of the United States in 2024, since I'll be 35 before Inauguration Day 2025.
Nice, but it'll be tough trumping Kanye's re-election campaign.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
RegiGiygas
listening to oingo boingo
First name: uriah
Pronouns: he/him

Post by RegiGiygas »

Who needs drugs when we have music?
can't forget this guy
Waaa.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

"meme" can mean basically anything at this point so saying "I don't like memes" is like saying "I don't like jokes"