(shouting)

Best/Recommended ROM Hacks

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Best/Recommended ROM Hacks

Post by YelseyKing »

If there's a thread for this already... I'm a stupid and didn't see it. :P

Anyway, I've been interested in looking at some ROM hacks, but there are thousands of the silly things. So I'm curious which ones my fellow Talkhausers would recommend. Preferrably of the "completely new game" variety, but if you've found one that just changes mechanics or something in interesting ways... heck, put that here, too.

If this goes well, we'll have a nice list of hacks for future use. If not, well. I tried. :lol:
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: Best/Recommended ROM Hacks

Post by ano0maly »

This forum (currently the cartridgé) used to be specifically for romhacks

I recommend とってもYEAH for SMW
ParmaJon
Moose in a suit
First name: Jon (a bit too obvious?)
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by ParmaJon »

Just smw or romhacks in general?
Go to bed

YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

ParmaJon wrote:Just smw or romhacks in general?
Just in general.

Moists:

ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

JUMP1/2 8-)
Mosts Awards:
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

rockman 4 -infinity, if you haven't already seen it through raocow's LP. or hell, even if you have; it's worth playing for yourself.
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

CrappyBlueLuigi wrote:rockman 4 -infinity, if you haven't already seen it through raocow's LP. or hell, even if you have; it's worth playing for yourself.
I watched the LP of that, and then found the ROM... that is indeed one of the most amazing ROM hacks I've ever seen.

Moists:

Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I'll recommend Mega Man X Hard Type:

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/i ... hard-type/
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

to pile on the mega/rockman hacks, i recommend rockman cx. it's a complete overhaul of rockman 2 in gameplay, bosses, levels, graphics, you get the idea. i've never beaten it myself because it's next level difficult, and it has some really weird design decisions (such as your utility weapons getting worse when you beat certain bosses), but i'd suggest playing nonetheless.
MeleeWizard

Post by MeleeWizard »

One romhack I've played a few times is Rockman 5: Double Jumper. It's not too hard, but it does mess with boss AI and weapon behavior. Power Stone isn't crap. That alone should interest some people.

Also, since I'm kinda into such things here's a site for all your game randomization needs.
YouTube | Twitter Image
Image Irony, thy name is Talkhaus.
ParmaJon
Moose in a suit
First name: Jon (a bit too obvious?)
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by ParmaJon »

I found Rockman 3 Burst Chaser to also be super enjoyable
Go to bed

YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Speaking of ROM hacks... I messed around a little with PK Hack, the Earthbound editor, in December of 2015, and created a small hack I'm considering sharing. It's nothing ambitious, though. Here's what it does:

-Completely redoes the item drops and drop rates. Now the lowest drop rate is 1/32, and I've changed nearly every enemy's dropped item. Some now drop items that cure status ailments they cause (such as the UFOs and robots in Peaceful Rest Valley dropping Cold Remedies), some drop equipment that's better than what's currently available in stores, and others were changed to drop items that normally came in limited numbers in the normal game (such as Bag of Dragonite). The biggest change is that the Sword of Kings is no longer dropped by Starman Super *period*. I changed it to a 100% drop from the Starman DX. So no more grinding for that thing. Yay. I *think* I also moved the Gutsy Bat to someplace outside of the "end dungeon of no return", but it's been a while since I did the hack, and I have no way at present to check it. I did all this because I never felt like getting super rare drops was all that satisfying... it's just pure tedium, as far as I'm concerned. And combined with the general uselessness of many of the existing drops, well...
-Redistributed the usage of battle music somewhat. I felt like one particular song was *extremely* overused, while a few others were under-represented. This is more of a personal choice, but it makes some later fights feel less... dreary? I dunno.
-Changed the item names from "sentence case" (i.e. only the first letter capitalized) to "title case" (every important word capitalized). For instance, "Bottle of water" became "Bottle of Water". Another personal stylistic choice. I just always thought the way it was done looked kind of weird. Not everyone is going to *agree*, but they don't *have* to, either. :P
-Changed the Rust Promoter DX into an infinite use item, ala the Xterminator Spray, and removed it from all shops that sold it, as well as the one chest you could find one in. It's now a drop from one particular enemy. Though again, only 1/32 at worst.
-Added the two buyable Magicant items (Earth Pendant and Magic Pudding) to the shop that opens in Saturn Valley late in the game, so you don't feel obligated to load up on them if you wanted them while Ness is alone. Since that shop doesn't open until *after* the Magicant events, it kinda felt tailor-made for those extra items.
-Made a few unsellable items, such as some of Jeff's lasers, able to be sold. They're unique, yeah, but they're absolutely useless once he finds better, and just take up valuable real-estate in storage.

And that's essentially it. Just a sort of clean-up thing. It doesn't modify any maps, text, or gameplay. Just a little thing I felt like doing. That said... I never had a chance to test it, so I don't know if there are any bugs, and I don't actually know how to make a patch, anyhow. So... yeah. Just wondering if anyone might be interested in me releasing it.

Moists:

Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

I'd be interested in playing that, I though Earthbound's gameplay was interesting but always thought there were a few things off about it.

I believe you can easily make a patch using Lunar IPS, despite its namesake it can create patches of any game, for any system.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Well. After tweaking the hack a little, I guess I'm as ready as I can be to show it off:
YK's silly little Earthbound hack!

This is my first time creating a patch and also really seriously hacking a ROM. So I honestly have *no* idea how well this'll work. Try it at your own risk, I guess. :| (And if anyone *does* try it, let me know if anything blows up, or if there's something you think I should change.)

Moists:

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Posted this in the raocow request thread, but I found this via the YT recommended list.

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ffydwyrr
W-what in the world?!
Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Ffydwyrr »

Late to the party, but I collect hacks, mods, and fan translations of the first Final Fantasy game. My favorite is Jeff Ludwig's mod of the GBA Final Fantasy, and particularly Version 3.3 of that mod. http://jeffludwig.com/finalfantasy/download.php

I'm a sucker for any FF1 hack that lets you choose between twelve jobs at the start, instead of just six. Especially if the twelve jobs are well-balanced and viable, with no bad choices. Ludwig gets it, IMO.