(shouting)

Zelder Scrolls U: Hyrim (Breath of the Wild thread)

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Re: Zelder Scrolls U: Hyrim (Breath of the Wild thread)

Post by Truhan »

Another reason to be highly skeptical of that map, a new Game Informer article on the game has some interesting details. One of them is that there are "over 100 Shrines" (these are the game's fast travel points). Skyrim, on the other hand, has 343 fast travel points. Be wary of spoilers, but here's a link (lol) to some bits and pieces from the article.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Truhan wrote:This is another image that's been making rounds which is actually based on mathematical calculations.

http://i.imgur.com/D5yBhh4.png

Not saying this one is legit either, but that one deffo looks more unbelievable, especially considering Wind Waker's world is far larger than Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. Color me skeptical.
Now THAT looks a lot more reasonable.
Truhan wrote:Another reason to be highly skeptical of that map, a new Game Informer article on the game has some interesting details. One of them is that there are "over 100 Shrines" (these are the game's fast travel points). Skyrim, on the other hand, has 343 fast travel points. Be wary of spoilers, but here's a link (lol) to some bits and pieces from the article.
There may be other quick travel points, like the Towers and the Shrine of Resurrection. Maybe some of those Horse stables and town will have quick travel points. A safe guess the dungeons and Hyrule Castle will have them as well.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Sebby19 wrote:There may be other quick travel points, like the Towers and the Shrine of Resurrection. Maybe some of those Horse stables and town will have quick travel points. A safe guess the dungeons and Hyrule Castle will have them as well.
We'll just have to wait and see. On a side note, Zelda's waifu level is overwhelming in this game.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Watch out for spoilers guys~! The Wii U ISO has been datamined, it's only a matter of time before people figure out how to unlock it.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

At least the epic DLC cannot be spoiled
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Ivy wrote:At least the epic DLC cannot be spoiled
I wonder if Zelda will finally be a girl...
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

7 days
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Uh oh. I've been watching some non-spoiler previews, and it's said that there are only FOUR major dungeons in the game (as in, not including the 120 minidungeons). I don't know if this includes or excludes the final one. All of a sudden, it makes sense that they're pretty much charging $20 for one more.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I preordered BotW on Amazon back in January. I have a Prime subscription, but I even paid an extra bit for priority shipping.
I finally got an email at like 8pm last night that they shipped my game, but it's not even expected to arrive until the 7th for some stupid reason.

I got in a chat with Amazon and they at least refunded my shipping, but the part that kinda pisses me off is I can see right now on the Amazon page for BotW, I could buy the game right now and have it guaranteed to arrive on the 6th. Because I preordered it, I'm getting it a day later. I probably won't be preordering stuff on Amazon in the future.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Wow do I suck at pressing the correct shoulder buttons, I keep throwing away my weapon when I mean to do LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE!!
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I played this pretty much all day and I'm still not even at the first main dungeon. I've just been exploring the map and hitting up every shrine I've come across. Some of the puzzles are insanely clever.
Mata Hari wrote:Wow do I suck at pressing the correct shoulder buttons, I keep throwing away my weapon when I mean to do LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE!!
I've been messing this up too except it's in the menu/inventory. I keep trying to move between my items, but I end up going to my quest log/the save screen because I press the shoulder buttons instead of the right thumbstick.
underFlo
you spinda right round
First name: Florence
Pronouns: they/she

Post by underFlo »

the puzzles are great and i love them

I also love the different approaches you can take (minor spoilers for a shrine puzzle)

like one puzzle seemed to be one where you were intended to use the gyroscope to move a hammer to hit a ball but you could also stasis the ball and hit it repeatedly with a magnesis thing

and (main dungeon spoiler)

you were able to use a magnetic chest to keep a door open at one point? it seems unintentional but idk

The physics powers you get are really really fun! I don't really use them in combat aside from the bombs but the puzzles are really well done. The main dungeon I played so far felt really interconnected and had some really really cool aspects.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
freakin whatzit
welcome to th :|
First name: alex
Pronouns: they or she

Post by freakin whatzit »

i keep forgetting that the hit stuff button is y instead of b, but other than that, this game's really good.
i like how, unlike most open world games, the map doesn't label/have icons for literally everything. it lets you actually find things on your own.
I AM VERY DISGUSTED WITH THE TRASHY MAN. IN SPITE OF THE MONSTER, AND THE COACH, ONLY TRASHY, I WILL BEAT DOWN THEM ALL. FOR THIS I MUST STRENGTHEN MYSELF. THE MONSTER IS THE SAME TOO. COLLECT ALL THE TRASHY, RIGHTEOUS FELLOW ARE ALL UNPARDONABLE! YOU DON'T AFFECT ME. THE TRASHY STROLLING IS AN EYESORE!
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks

Post by BurntTenda »

The

Elephant dungeon thing

was a pretty neat dungeon, if not a bit easy to solve.
I think I got the

trunk terminal

in a very unintended way, because the physics felt super wonky.

I love the dungeon maps in this game. They're pretty amazing.
underFlo
you spinda right round
First name: Florence
Pronouns: they/she

Post by underFlo »

Did you also

use a chest to open the door w/ magnesis

? If so I'm starting to feel it may be intentional??
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks

Post by BurntTenda »

I did not do that, I think used

the ice rune thingy

Although, options are a big thing in this game, so many things may have been intended.
Reb
let's all be happy :)
First name: sam
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by Reb »

really enjoying the game so far.
the entire

desert

section has been incredibly neat. there's one part

where you need to get an artifact back from the yiga clan,

and it was a blast to play.
コンコン
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Mipha

is the best waifu.

WHY'D SHE HAVE TO DIE ;____;

BurntTenda
defeat four ducks

Post by BurntTenda »

I took about 7 hearts of damage from a fire arrow.
Fun.

Mipha's Grace

has saved me so many times.
It's super useful.
So I agree,

Mipha

is the best.

But Urbosa is best-er.

Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

BurntTenda wrote:I took about 7 hearts of damage from a fire arrow.
Fun.

Mipha's Grace

has saved me so many times.
It's super useful.
So I agree,

Mipha

is the best.

But Urbosa is best-er.

Nah, you're fired.

Green Demo

isn't scared of

Urbosa

the way she is of

Mipha.

Because she's seafood, do you get the joke?

Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Finally got the game yesterday. Played about 4 hours or so, and man I'm loving it. It really feels like the game is letting you take things at your own pace, go wherever the hell you want, and solve different puzzles/combat situations in whatever way works for you. I've basically just done the part where you get off the initial platform at the beginning of the game, but after that I've just been running in the exact opposite direction of where the main quest wants you to go, and getting some of the shrines done to level my health and stamina. I also spent like a good 45 minutes training horses.

I'm still having a bit of trouble grasping the controls though. It's like a weird hybrid between a typical Zelda game and Dark Souls, so my brain never knows which buttons to use sometimes. It's also a bit weird that you can start sprinting and then do a jump for a longer jump, but the only way to do that is to claw the controller so you can hold B with your thumb then hit X with the side of your index finger.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Well, this is awkward. I've done all the main quests except the last one.

To beat guess fucking who.

And yet I feel woefully underpowered. I can't get enough materials for the special

anti-Guardian

armor, I feel like I don't have nearly enough hearts/armor to fight off the final dungeon minions, and I just can't seem to find all that many shrines even though I've supposedly done less than half of them. On the whole, I've just found the experience to be very meh. I think it was a great decision to go fully open world, but maybe not so much with the weapons that break every four seconds and extremely limited inventory. I tend to avoid combat like the plague because I don't want to waste my good weapons (so I also don't have many materials). The world certainly feels huge, but it's also pretty damn empty. I dunno, maybe I've just got open world fatigue. I was also not impressed at all with the dungeons. I managed to beat one of the bosses without getting hit - in the entire dungeon AND against him.

There's also a big rupee conundrum. In almost every Zelda game, rupees are too plentiful and then there's absolutely nothing worthwhile to spend them on. I guess Link's Awakening and Link to the Past do the best job of managing it, but here, rupees are super rare and there's unspeakably expensive stuff to buy. The best way to make rupees

save scum the gambling game

is tedious, painful, and absolutely necessary if you want to complete the

Great Fairy

quest. I feel like they should maybe have left rupees as common as they once were with the huge number of items to buy or have fewer armor sets but with rarer rupees. They just went with the worst of both to make the game take longer, but it just feels irritating since three sets are pretty much a necessity for exploration (and a fourth is necessary but can only be used to enter a town

and draw disgusting trap fan art

).

I dunno, maybe I'm just too old for this shit. I wish there were a way to see all the shrines you haven't found yet since, you know, they're the only fast travel points aside from towers/dungeons (as I expected).
warpio

Post by warpio »

Yeah my main complaint is I think the dungeons in this game are very lackluster compared to previous 3D Zelda games. Other than that I think the game is perfect, it does so many things right and I would be very skeptical of anyone who says there are better open world games out there.

The overworld is amazing though, I don't agree at all with people that are saying it's empty, like wtf are you even playing the same game? I guess maybe it depends on how you go about playing the game, you choose to just focus on the main quest or take your time exploring and going for 100%. For me it feels like by far the most fully realized version of Hyrule. It honors the original NES Zelda's philosophy of having at least 1 secret in every "square" of the map. Besides the shrines, I'm always on the lookout for Korok puzzles, rupee chests, travelling NPCs, high level enemy mobs or world bosses, and other important looking areas...

The sidequests are also really good and almost every NPC I talk to reveals some cool info about the world and cleverly points you in the direction of hidden secrets without completely spoiling the sense of discovery. Also I love the shrine quests that you sometimes get from NPCs, where the shrine isn't accessible until you figure out some environment puzzle... A lot of the shrines are very well hidden and it feels very satisfying once you find them. This game is so abundant in side content, I'd say it makes up for the lack of real dungeons easily.

I also REALLY like the combat in this game, it's so fun that it makes me want to go out of my way to fight random mobs even though it uses up my limited weapon/shield capacity. Some of the most epic parts of the game have been the random fights in the overworld. Although sometimes it is also kinda fun to use stealth elixers and sneak past everything. Some people complain about the weapon durability but I've found it's actually very well balanced. When you fight enemies above your level, you gain better equipment from them and can throw out your old stuff. If you fight enemies with the same tier of equipment as you, then you don't lose anything. The weaker enemies don't even matter because they don't use up much of your weapon durability at all.

Rupees aren't a problem if you collect gems from all the ore deposits you come across and sell them. I also cook often and sell off any excess food because I always have more than enough of everything that I need. Keep in mind that every piece of loot is able to be sold for rupees, so if you want rupees you should be collecting loot as if they were rupees.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks

Post by BurntTenda »

Well, I beat the game.
But man,

10,000 rupees for a Great Fairy.

That is ridiculous.

I love Calamity Ganon's design,

but the fight itself felt very underwhelming.

I feel like the focus on exploration and maybe characters caused the lesser bosses.
I still need to

recover Link's memories (Is that even a spoiler?)

and I may try to do all the side quests.
Or at least as many as I can.

I have to agree that the bosses and dungeons are fairly underwhelming as well.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

OK I just Googled it and apparently you can name your horse in this game, this is fucking great

I'm going to name the FUCK out of my horse