(shouting)

Nintendo Direct Discussion Thread

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Kukironosuke
You can call me Kuki
First name: Travis
Pronouns: he/him/kirbys

Re: Nintendo Direct Discussion Thread

Post by Kukironosuke »

I liked the Mario maker updates

I liked the Kirby game announcement
edit I didn't get the nekomancer pun, I was half confused half intrigued when I saw the catmancer, they should have kept the name nekomancer and it would have been an instant success, catmancer is pretty bad sacrifice based on the idea that neko needed to be translated for better understanding, it ruined the joke and mostly everybody either knows neko means cat or can infer it from context

I didn't like how they treated paper Mario, they had no pre-amble or hype leading up to the reveal, the treehouse guy(bill trenen?) just transitioned into talking about the new paper Mario game like it was nothing new or exciting, he must have known how bad of an idea it was and was just trying to get it over with. It looks alright, I rented sticker star for a few days back when it came out from gamefly, and it was a huge letdown, I had no warning because I didn't view any trailers or reviews or anything, I just trusted the Ip to get a good one, and it was the first time Nintendo let me down in one of its major IPs(I'm not a huge metroid or f zero fan)

Sticker star is alright for what it is, a handheld adventure collectathon, with some puzzles. But it does a huge disservice to the name of paper Mario. Paint splash looks to be a better sticker star(hopefully) but it's yet another slap In the face to the fans of the first 2-3 paper Mario games. I have hope though because of its "expected 2016" release date, this means late 2016, or possible 2017 if it's delayed, and I hope it is delayed if neccisary, becaus I hope they take the next 8-9 months until holiday season reading feedback and taking it to heart to try to return to paper marios roots like they did with starfox zero

A big part of the last year and this direct has been emphasizing bringing RPGs/jrpg back to Nintendo consoles, monster hunter, fire emblem, etrian oddysey, bravely default/second, dragon quest remakes/ports, final fantasy monster hunter world game, talks of ff15/ff7 remake/kh3(I hope) possibly coming to NX in the next few years

And in all this Kirby gets to be an rpg, even solitaire race horse gets to be an rpg, but the one guy who doesn't get to be an rpg is paper Mario who was one of the best RPGs for the era when Nintendo had not many other options for RPGs

Nope paper Mario gets relegated to more of like super Mario 3D land X kingdom hearts chain of memories

It also feels like somebody at Nintendo saw paper Mario and (Mario and luigi rpg) and decided they didn't need two Mario rpg franchises, and decided MLRPG was going to be the winner, and paper Mario had to change or die off

MLRPG games are okay in my opinion, I haven't played them all, but I think their style of rpg can't compete with or replace paper Mario rpg mechanics, I just hope Nintendo/miyamoto listen to their fans this time like they did with starfox 64

One other thing I'd like to mention is i think it was very smart of Nintendo not to talk about legend of Zelda Wii U, I feel like Nintendo's E3 success is going to center on the big reveals of Zelda 2016 and NX(Q4 2017 I hope)

If they had talked about Zelda Wii U today, it would have had similar results to when they announced cloud in smash days before the big smash direct, then when the smash direct came it was a big disappointment for many people, when if the smash direct had been the first reveal of cloud it would have been a success to many more watchers
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Lostsoldier20 wrote:It has been 6 years since a new Metroid game. And Other M was a mess of a game for many reasons for many different people. People have been waiting for something new for years, and they get Federation Force. To better reference back to Paper Mario, it would be like going from TTYD straight to Sticker Star, with the same time difference between games. Years after the greatness that was TTYD, Paper Mario fans are waiting... and waiting... and Sticker Star.
See, the problem here is that Metroid was taken for granted in the late GCN and early Wii era. Prime 1 and Fusion did great. Prime 2 and 3 didn't reach Prime 1's numbers and Zero Mission didn't even come close to Fusion (Zero Mission didn't even ship a million copies to Fusion's 1.6m. OUCH).

Castlevania's another series where there were a ton of games on the GBA and DS, then it just went away because people stopped buying them. That's just what happens. Other M was a poor attempt to change how the series played, but the damage was already done by fans for not showing up years earlier. Sorry. It happens. I had to watch Mega Man go through the same thing after 9's retro revival turned into 10's apathy... even though I thought that game was better.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

Bean wrote:See, the problem here is that Metroid was taken for granted in the late GCN and early Wii era. Prime 1 and Fusion did great. Prime 2 and 3 didn't reach Prime 1's numbers and Zero Mission didn't even come close to Fusion (Zero Mission didn't even ship a million copies to Fusion's 1.6m. OUCH).

Castlevania's another series where there were a ton of games on the GBA and DS, then it just went away because people stopped buying them. That's just what happens. Other M was a poor attempt to change how the series played, but the damage was already done by fans for not showing up years earlier. Sorry. It happens. I had to watch Mega Man go through the same thing after 9's retro revival turned into 10's apathy... even though I thought that game was better.
Don't shoot the messenger. I feel for them, but I arrived late to Metroid with playing the Prime Trilogy (yay for rentals, since it was impossible to buy back then) and thought all 3 games were great. (Sky Temple key search aside...) I've gone back to play some others since then, but I've never been a die hard fan.

Paper Mario, meanwhile... Yeah no, call me Fawful because I HAVE FURY!
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
kumuhmuh
local ice cream dealre
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by kumuhmuh »

kirbygelion looks amazing, was definitely the highlight of the direct. unfortunate that paper mario's officially dead now, though... bucky the bucket is our new overlord.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

They still can't convince me to care about federation force
That crazy voice dude
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I'm thinking Metroid: Tri Force Heroes whenever I see it brought up. It's not the Metroid I want, but I might take it anyway. I'm skeptical in an optimistic way on it.
mysterypersonofwin

Post by mysterypersonofwin »

3DS Direct confirmed for September 1.

Been a while since the last Direct. Not counting some Japan-only Directs for Culdcept Revolt, the last Direct was in March.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I would expect Dragon Quest VII and Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 to be a part of it if it's for upcoming releases and probably info for the new Pokémon games, too.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Imagine this: Mario 64 3DS
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

Ivy wrote:Imagine this: Mario 64 3DS
It's probably Pokemon. Rumors have been going around for a few days that Sept. 1 would have major Pokemon-related news.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Ivy wrote:Imagine this: Mario 64 3DS
That'd be kind of odd considering they just re-released the DS one digitally on the Wii U last week. Not against it though.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

meh
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Games are cool, and they showed a lot of them. Cool.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

2D Pikmin could be neat.
Other than that really nothing interesting we didn't already know.

Also thanks Capcom for digital only release... again.
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol

Post by idol »

so you can't download online levels in mario maker 3ds...? what's that about?
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

idol wrote:so you can't download online levels in mario maker 3ds...? what's that about?
Nintendo Logic
100% Approved!
Patooties are Talkhaus' best thing!
So... I just put in my Youtube-Channel
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Who has the most?
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Massive amiiboner
That crazy voice dude
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I'm not a fan of Nintendo's new trend of "take a Wii U game and make a gimped version of it for 3DS"

Poochy and Yoshi's Wooly World is kinda the most annoying. They could have made an entirely new Yoshi platformer. Even if it was still Yarn Yoshi, I wouldn't have minded. But they were too lazy to just design new levels I guess. Why would I buy this game again? For an endless runner? Like, you went through all the effort of porting/remaking the engine for 3DS, just make some new levels.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

i wish amiibos didn't exist

everyone loves them but i don't get it, it's just microtransactions
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Leet wrote:i wish amiibos didn't exist

everyone loves them but i don't get it, it's just microtransactions
More like macrotransactions, those things are expensive.

Yeah but I also don't understand why everybody jizzes over amiibos, they're just shitty figurines for Christ's sake. Like, they're not even toys, you can't even play with them IRL.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

People see a thing that seems small enough to collect, they want to collect. Then it grows. Poor choices lead to continuing to support the addiction to keep up, or "just get the ones I want" which is inevitably a lot for some people.

That said, some Amiibos are quite nice. The squid kid ones are a lot nicer than most of the Smash ones. Also no, I have exactly zero Amiibos.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I kinda wish Amiibos were just Nintendo's line of statues, rather than being keys to unlock things in a game you already paid for. Someone should just make some kind of ultimate Amiibo where you can program it to spoof any Amiibo's NFC code or whatever. Who knows, that probably already exists.

But as for the statues themselves, I do like the quality of them. I only own the Mega Man one because I like Mega Man, and I also got a yarn Yoshi and the wolf Link Amiibo because they were bundled with their respective games. I'm also considering getting the OoT Link announced today cause it looked neat. Basically, I buy Amiibos that I like the look of because they're nice statues.
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

I don't agree with how the amiibo are used for the games (aside from Smash because I think that's a pretty neat feature to have), but I think they are very good as collectible figures. I have a few, and I try my best not to open them from the box, but I opened two because I couldn't resist using them for some sort of additional content.

But yeah, they should stop forcing them in order to unlock content. Like with amiibo festival. Ech.

Who has the most?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Dragon Quest VII in two weeks, Mario Sports Superstars, and the new Streetpass games seem cool enough to me. Plus, Gunvolt 2's coming out next month. For a handheld that's dead, it sure does seem like it has all the games I want to play. Go figure.

Oh, and that Axiom Verge game was released on the Wii U eShop yesterday. If you haven't played that elsewhere yet and like Metroid stuff that won't be taken down, there you go.