(shouting)

P-Switch... | 50% Complete, X-switch Void Restarted! | Some X-citing Progress

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
Daizo

P-Switch... | 50% Complete, X-switch Void Restarted! | Some X-citing Progress

Post by Daizo »

Hey there mates and femates of the Talkhaus Community! An odd concept returns after a full 4 year hiatus (or was it longer? I can't remember), a hack with a totally intentional 100% name change comes back in all it's POW and Press! With a press of a button, I develop the (not really) long awaited 100 Rooms o I mean P-switch: The Ultimate P-switch Void! Started in Halloween of 2012, Mario makes a deal with a totally not self-insert **COUGH** character to traverse through a void that Luigi has a bad feeling with. Mario takes the request with all greedy intentions and goes to said void to stop a totally original villain who is a toaster named "The P-switch Void King!"

Excuse plot aside, if you haven't checked out the original game here it is, but the reason I wanted to continue it after years of consideration is because I don't feel like the original is up to my current standards. Level design will be kept mostly the same, just with a few touchups on a few janky bits presented (as well as implementing the glorious Retry system made famous from JUMP). What this full game is meant to do is rewrite all the cutscenes, finish the X-switch void, finish the two other "bonus" levels, and basically complete the excuse plot in it's full campy glory. All story is skip-able, unlike last time.

Now then, time for the obligitory screenshots + trailers:

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

I've only begun this 6 years ago, so it may take a year (no promises) to finish sense since it's only an unknown amount of level(s). Excited about the reboot? Doesn't really matter since I'm doing this for my own personal satisfaction, but still I wouldn't mind seeing what y'all think. This is Daizo Dee Von, and it's never a good bye, it's always a "see you later".

Original OP (with restored links galore!)
Hello Talkhaus Community! This is a little mini hack I decided to make for Halloween, Mario goes into The Legendary P-Switch Void. Where almost everything is P-Switches!

This is an odd concept I am working on. It is a bit strange sense I never seen, made or played a hack involving something related to an item before. A lot of the enemy's are P-Switches, the Foreground is P-Switches and even the whole Void is P-switches!

Progress of P-Switch...:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... review.png

I only began this a day ago, so it may take like 2 weeks to finish sense its only a *SPOILER* number of level(s). What do you think everyone?
Last edited by Daizo 3 years ago, edited 9 times in total.

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
GameMasterGuy

Re: P-Switch...

Post by GameMasterGuy »

Looks like a cool idea! Maybe you can replace the coins with P switches with the "P" wrapping around the side of the switch and a "P" from the other side looping back to the side the other "P" is leaving from?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Dude this p-switch void is awesome. I can't wait until this hack is finished, so I can play it.
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

Thank you, you two! :D

Now this level is basically one big level with 4 gimmicks.
1) Introduction to P-Switch Void.
2) Lets smash you with fog everywhere!
3) Those falling P-Switches man.
4) -Undecided-
Boss - POWser (And no, it won't be a Bowser's Clown Car Replacement. En-fact, its not even Bowser :P)

At the end of each "P-Room", there will be a Midway Point to save your progress, aren't I nice? :mrgreen:

So here is progress on P-Room 2:

Also, lets not forget that I fallowed GameMasterGuy's Good idea:
(I even went beyond that and added some P-Used-Blocks)

Great Progress comming along. lots of idea's everywhere, P-room 1 made already (The easiest P-room to make, obviously :P).

Also lets introduce the Story Idea:
A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

Umm, no. This is the story:
Mario and Luigi was bored because they didn't save Princess Peach in over a year. It was just another day back at there Mushroom House. So they went to Yoshi's House and saw a strange looking ghost figure while they were walking. This "Thing" told the Mario Brothers about The Legendary P-Switch Void. And stuff about the Mysterious Blue and Grey P-Switch Palace's and its Untold Riches. Mario and Luigi was interested in this legendary quest, and so they begin there adventure to The Legendary P-Switch Void!

A lot of detail, and I think this is my best story I can think of. Also, only I know who this Ghost is :mrgreen:

What do you think everyone?

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I hope there's going to be another Make a Good Level Contest, so you can submit that. I'd love to see raocow lp this.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
GameMasterGuy

Post by GameMasterGuy »

SAJewers wrote:I hope there's going to be another Make a Good Level Contest, so you can submit that. I'd love to see raocow lp this.
If there is, I'm totally making a level called "cave story" with Renzor as the boss but with the four sprites replaced with enlarged versions of the key sprite. That way, raocow will be able to say that he LPd Cave Story *and* beat the key boss.

Full disclosure: I'm way too lazy to actually do this so if it does happen someone please steal my idea.
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

SAJewers wrote:I hope there's going to be another Make a Good Level Contest, so you can submit that. I'd love to see raocow lp this.
Actually I was thinking of putting this in some contest (Like the Make a Good Level), but I wanted to make this for Halloween.

2 0ut of 4 P-rooms done! Here it is, P-room 2 - Lets smash you with fog everywhere!
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
All there is left is P-room 3, P-room 4, Title, intro, cutscenes, Yoshi's House, Patches and POWser.
The main thing to finish is the rest of the P-rooms and POWser.

What do you think everyone?

ThatDivTag

Post by ThatDivTag »

So. Much. P. It's everywhere! On the floor, on the walls...even on the ceiling! It looks rather interesting! I might even give it a whirl myself when it's finished!
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I think you should make it so the fog doesn't obscure 50% of the screen
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

ThatDivTag wrote:So. Much. P. It's everywhere! On the floor, on the walls...even on the ceiling! It looks rather interesting! I might even give it a whirl myself when it's finished!
Thanks man, that inspires me to finish this more! :D
Argumentable wrote:I think you should make it so the fog doesn't obscure 50% of the screen
Not a bad idea, shouldn't be too difficult to do so. Terra Strip should do the trick with this issue :mrgreen:

A preview of P-room 3 - "Uhh, what's going on?"
Changed the name because my other idea didn't work out too well :|
ImageImage

Its still WIP, basically the gimmick is that every few seconds the BG will change to ether red or blue. If red, only Red P-switches are touchable. If blue, only blue is touchable. The orange P-switches are touchable no matter what colour the BG is.

It does have a lack of enemy's but it will get a little harder as you go on with the level. Also you hit 2 Midway Points already so it isn't "lets get hit and start over again" (The official name in this hack is that Midway Points are "Progress Points").

What do you think?
E: Had to mess up the Quote's again :P
Last edited by Daizo 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Re: P-Switch... | 2/4 P-rooms Done | The 3rd will always be

Post by swirlybomb »

What the...? I'm positive I replied to this this morning, but it seems to have not existed. To repeat it (paraphrased, at least):

I don't think I could judge it myself, at least not before seeing it in action (and I probably wouldn't play it myself because I just don't play computer games that much), but it looks interesting and I'd like to see it completed.

Pretty sure that one message block should say "Red P-Coins aren't a good sign," rather than isn't.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Don't you think that background color change gimmick would be confusing because you would have to figure out what you could stand on based on the color? It would be much better if the tiles you could stand on actually changed from visible to invisible and the background was just a nice effect on the side.
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

Thanks for the suggestion limepie20 but that's not how this custom sprite generator works :cry:
I suppose I could try to add a 3rd Message Box to explain what the room's gimmick is.

And thanks for pointing out that spelling error swirlybomb :D

Now for more progress.
Yeah, not that much progress. just don't want you guys bored and that I need to wait 24 hours to double post (If that exists here, IIRC, I didn't think so).

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Daizo wrote:Its still WIP, basically the gimmick is that every few seconds the BG will change to ether red or blue. If red, only Red P-switches are touchable. If blue, only blue is touchable. The orange P-switches are touchable no matter what colour the BG is.
I'd recommend yellow or, especially, green in place of the orange p-switch. Orange is pretty close to red and with the background changing colors that could make it a lot more difficult on the run to differentiate between red and orange.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Daizo wrote:Thanks for the suggestion limepie20 but that's not how this custom sprite generator works :cry:
I suppose I could try to add a 3rd Message Box to explain what the room's gimmick
I understand the generator doesn't work that way, but the effect I was talking about can be accomplished through exanimation.
Daizo

Re: P-Switch... | 3/4 P-rooms Done | Will preview #3 soon...

Post by Daizo »

I've uploaded all 3 previews for proper feedback so I can fix things. I do kind of want this done by Halloween so...
P-room 1
P-room 2
P-room 3 (I think this needs the most feedback IMO =/ I don't know though.)

I've also been working on P-room 4:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Also:
Remade the '1-up' in this picture =P

Sorry for not showing progress but I am kind of sick. Before, school was a drag as well.
What do you think?

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

The mist/fog in room 2 needs to be toned down a bit IMO. Other than that, it looks ok.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

SAJewers wrote:The mist/fog in room 2 needs to be toned down a bit IMO. Other than that, it looks ok.
I kind of found out that I can't do that. Because idiotic Terra's Stripe crashes every time I try to open the rom with it ='(
Someone mentioned there is another way to do so but that requires some ASM which I know VERY LITTLE about.

Daizo

Re: P-Switch... | 4/4 P-rooms Done | Showing the Boss soon..

Post by Daizo »

The hack is pretty much done, now all I need to do is come back to this thread to spoil the boss and fix up some music issues, as well as make cutscenes.

Daizo

Re: P-Switch... | 4/4 P-rooms Done | Showing the Boss soon..

Post by Daizo »

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone, so I'll give off a small update:

So I toned down the smoke by SAJewers and quite a few others in another thread in another forum, as for the boss I'm trying to figure out how to make him work for the hack because I'm using AddMusicM and it doesn't seem to like AMM songs. I have an idea but I need to edit an unknown part of the sprite's code in order to do so. As I mentioned, here is what the boss looks like:

This is POWser, or also known as the P-switch King (which has the appearance as Balrog from Cave Story with some minor edits). No, he isn't Bowser though the two names are similar.
Last edited by Daizo 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Daizo

Re: P-Switch... | 70% Complete, X-switch Void Finished! | It Returns after 6 Years...

Post by Daizo »

Yeah I'm going to leave this here...
Somebody move this to the correct forum.

Daizo

Re: P-Switch... | 50% Complete, X-switch Void Restarted! | Some X-citing Progress

Post by Daizo »

Hey, some progress!

wow finally right
also if you missed it, a C3 thread released a bit ago. But I'll reveal here that the "talkhaus" version of this game will have the "Ultimate P-switch Void" subtitle.

Bean
Yep.

Re: P-Switch... | 50% Complete, X-switch Void Restarted! | Some X-citing Progress

Post by Bean »

I'm moving this to Project Showcase since it is a thread about a hack! Looks interesting though!