(shouting)

Official "Mario Maker"!

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Ometeotl

Re: Official "Mario Maker"?

Post by Ometeotl »

I must brainstorm the perfect Waluigi levels.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I'd have prefered each characters to have different abilities even if that meant we'd get less. Like a wario with at least shoulder bash

Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Jesuiscontent wrote:I'd have prefered each characters to have different abilities even if that meant we'd get less. Like a wario with at least shoulder bash
Yeah, exactly. It just seems like a weird skin-over when it's just that character and a few sound effects.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That's asking for a lot of extra work. I'm already amazed they're using four different physics engines (SMB1, SMB3, SMW, NSMB) for the project if I read the info right.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

Ometeotl wrote:I must brainstorm the perfect Waluigi levels.
If not one person manages to make the sound blocks play waluigi pinball in a level , im going to be sad
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

The only thing that saddens me is the lack of slopes. NO SLOPES! Why Nintendo, why? It better not be because Mario 1 didn't support slopes.
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by blue_kirby »

I'm thinking of doing my MAGLX2 level (which was played today) as a Mario Maker level. Surprisingly there weren't too many restrictions, and I felt like my level was pretty solid. I could easily see it being an SMB3-like level just as much as it was a SMBX level entry.

I just wish there was a DLC pack that allowed you to fight more bosses than just Bowser and Bowser Jr ... like the Koopalings, Reznors, Boom Boom, or something of that sort.
"That's embarrassing"
DrTapeworm
IT'S NEITHER KISSY NOR CUTIE, IT'S TRASH
Pronouns: they/them

Post by DrTapeworm »

I could see DLC packs happening periodically, probably to add some of those basic features that are somehow not in this
"The apex predator Spinosaurus, a dinosaur, would later develop a similar sail in an example of convergent evolution, thereby cheating Dimetrodon out of royalties." -Sad Dinosaur Facts
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!

Post by blue_kirby »

DLC packs I could see happening:

Super Mario Bros 2 JPN/The Lost Levels (The skin from the NES version is different from the original SMB)
Super Mario All Stars - SMB1
Super Mario All Stars - SMB2
Super Mario Land 2

DLC Packs that I'm not sure would happen, but would still be cool to have:

Super Mario Bros 2 (and Super Mario All Stars equivalent)
Mega Man 2 (Terrain Skin)
Legend of Zelda 2 (Terrain Skin)
Kirby's Adventure (Terrain Skin)
Metroid (Highly doubt it)
"That's embarrassing"
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

I'd just like to see a lot of enemies that were left out (Chargin' Chucks, Volcano Lotus, Nipper Plant, Rex, Eeries, Roto-Discs, Boomerang & Fire Brothers, Mechakoopas, Sumo Bros., Pokey), slopes, and Mario 1 and 3 All Star skins for DLC. I'd love to see a SMB2 USA DLC pack but I'm not sure if they would put forth the effort for that.
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!

Post by blue_kirby »

Pyro wrote:I'd just like to see a lot of enemies that were left out (Chargin' Chucks, Volcano Lotus, Nipper Plant, Rex, Eeries, Roto-Discs, Boomerang & Fire Brothers, Mechakoopas, Sumo Bros., Pokey), slopes, and Mario 1 and 3 All Star skins for DLC. I'd love to see a SMB2 USA DLC pack but I'm not sure if they would put forth the effort for that.
I'd love to see extra enemies like that too. Enemies like Chargin' Chuck and Mecha Koopas may need some reskinning work as they only appeared in one game but enemies like the Hammer Bro variants and Pokeys shouldn't be too difficult.
"That's embarrassing"
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

I remember seeing something from Nintendo saying they wouldn't do any DLC for Mario Maker, but they also went back on other statements, so you never know. I just want slopes added. I NEED MAH SLOPES! And proper water volumes instead of strict, not water level or water level.
FancyFancy

Post by FancyFancy »

ZephyrBurst wrote:I remember seeing something from Nintendo saying they wouldn't do any DLC for Mario Maker, but they also went back on other statements, so you never know. I just want slopes added. I NEED MAH SLOPES! And proper water volumes instead of strict, not water level or water level.
Honestly if this game never gets slopes than I will consider this a substandard product when all is said and done.

Maybe there won't be DLC but free Splatoon-style updates. I dunno.
FILMED IN
ImageImage
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

FancyFancy wrote:Maybe there won't be DLC but free Splatoon-style updates. I dunno.
Yeah, I'm hoping that's what they meant and were just being tricky with their wording. Maybe they want to see what the community wants after its been out for a bit.

I actually don't have any desire to use it myself, I just think the idea is pretty cool coming from Nintendo, and I'd want it to have most of the proper Mario-esque things needed. There's a lot that it does have, but those few things that it's missing feel pretty substantial.
8bitfusion
Nuclear fission isn't my thing

Post by 8bitfusion »

Wonder if the Shovel Knight amiibo works with it... Anyhow, if it doesn't at least get water bubbles, slopes, or moving layers, I would not get it. :|
Lavender's a pretty cool color, no?
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!

Post by blue_kirby »

It kinda sucks I can't make an "underwater" segment unless if the entire section is underwater.
"That's embarrassing"
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

So, for those curious, here are the 100 characters (well, 99 + random). It's pretty much every amiibo and then some. Only missing Ryu and Roy from the Smash cast (though Lucas, who came at the same time is in). Otherwise, there are some pretty... odd choices.
  • Random

Super Smash Bros
  • Modern Mario
  • Peach
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Yoshi
  • Wario
  • Rosalina & Luma
  • Dr. Mario
  • DK
  • Diddy
  • Kirby
  • Meta Knight
  • King Dedede
  • Pit
  • Palutena
  • Dark Pit
  • Mega Man
  • Samus
  • Zamus
  • ROB
  • Marth
  • Ike
  • Lucina
  • Robin
  • Pikachu
  • Charizard
  • Jigglypuff
  • Mewtwo
  • Lucario
  • Greninja
  • Olimar
  • Pikmin trio
  • Link
  • Zelda
  • Shiek
  • Ganondorf
  • Toon Link
  • Shulk (Jp. voice, sadly no British Shulk)
  • Ness
  • Lucas
  • WiiFit Trainer
  • Villager
  • Captain Falcon
  • Mr. G&W
  • Duck Hunt Duo
  • Little Mac
  • Fox
  • Falco
  • Sonic
  • PAC-MAN

Mario related
  • Springboard
  • Red Goomba
  • DK Jr.
  • Toad
  • Shy Guy
  • Sidestepper
  • Shellcreeper/Koopa
  • Mario Bros Mario
  • Mario in kart
  • Mario with a ?-Block over his head
  • Silver Mario
  • Gold Mario
  • Mario Maker Mario
  • Waluigi
  • Ashley
  • Yarn Yoshi (Green)
  • Yarn Yoshi (Pink)
  • Yarn Yoshi (Blue)
  • Yarn Yoshi (Big)

Animal Crossing related
  • Tom Nook
  • K.K. Slider
  • Mr. Resetti
  • Rover
  • Timmy & Tommy
  • Blathers
  • Mable
  • Kapp'n
  • Celeste
  • Kicks
  • Isabelle (Summer)
  • Isabelle (Winter)
  • Digby
  • Cyrus
  • Reese
  • Lottie (Happy Home Designers)

Misc.
  • Tingle
  • Inkling Boy
  • Inkling Girl
  • Squid
  • Wii Balance Board
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Foreman Spike
  • Slippy Toad
  • Peppy Hare
  • Arwing (walk mode)
  • Mahjong tile
  • Dr. Lobe (Big Brain Academy)
  • Nikki (Swapnote)
[/spoiler]I find it kinda a shame, but understandable, that Wario, WFT, Robin and Villager are locked into their default outfit/gender, I personally would very much have preferred classic Wario and female Robin. Less understandable though is that the Pokemon just use the classic SMB sound effects and not custom ones like pretty much everyone else. But then again, after Mario Kart and Yoshi's Woolly World it's a small miracle they even are in at all.

Although those are the least of the game's problems for me. I find it hard to get excited with the exclusion of a lot of basic stuff. No slopes, no water for the land sections and apparently also no checkpoints. There's probably more I'm missing. Does anyone know how many sections we can create and how much control we have about setting the time limit?
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Evidently The Pokemon Company is kind of a pain to license with, so having a Pokemon in Marioland is a wonder in itself.

Though why they couldn't or didn't bother to try to get their cries is beyond me.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Yeah I've seen a lot of people suddenly getting turned off by this game for whatever reason?? Going to wait a bit before buying it

Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

i got the $10 amazon prime discount so i think i'm going to stick with it for these last few days
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Remember that Nintendo will probably be updating the game with more features as time goes on, if Splatoon is any indication. I only hope that doesn't manifest in a "pay 5 dollars for a Single New Thing" like in Smash or Fire Emblem, though. Nintendo's recent trend seems to be "pay more money than the original game costs for less content total" :/
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

as someone who's been deeply suspicious of Mario Maker, and on some level believes Nintendo is going to use it as a pretext for pulling all rom-hack and smbx videos off of youtube, I'm just quietly laughing to myself over the so-far-disappointed result.
DrTapeworm
IT'S NEITHER KISSY NOR CUTIE, IT'S TRASH
Pronouns: they/them

Post by DrTapeworm »

now, the question is how long before someone tries to remake Proud Sky in this
"The apex predator Spinosaurus, a dinosaur, would later develop a similar sail in an example of convergent evolution, thereby cheating Dimetrodon out of royalties." -Sad Dinosaur Facts
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

DrTapeworm wrote:now, the question is how long before someone tries to remake Proud Sky in this
Not long, or rather, the level would be two screens long. You can't make completely vertical levels in this iirc.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

Leet wrote:Remember that Nintendo will probably be updating the game with more features as time goes on, if Splatoon is any indication. I only hope that doesn't manifest in a "pay 5 dollars for a Single New Thing" like in Smash or Fire Emblem, though. Nintendo's recent trend seems to be "pay more money than the original game costs for less content total" :/
I doubt it, putting matierals for creative content behind paywalls for something isnt very helpful for getting people actually making levels with it.
I mean, what idiot would put paid dlc for just parts of a level after youve already bought the level editor itself?
oh....